eWeek article on Smeagol and Q37

Comments

• Reply 41 of 401
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Let's have a hint, then.

What colour are the new machines?

Luminescent hunter orange. Apple will introduce glow-in-the-dark neon colors to the industry.
  • Reply 42 of 401
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    It seems to be Apple is following Clinton i.e. denying every thing until you get caught, and then denying that you got caught in a book years later.
  • Reply 43 of 401
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Luminescent hunter orange. Apple will introduce glow-in-the-dark neon colors to the industry.

Really? I thought they were going to use the iPod backlight technology to create a glow in the dark, wall projecting, neon red Apple logo disco ball.
  • Reply 44 of 401
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Hmmm.

I'm wondering about this ring of power stuff. I recall the folks at Ars were kicking around the idea of a ring-based topology as a way of easily adding extra CPUs or something like that.

As for the Q codename, others have pointed out that this might refer to Q-ships, as well as obviously being the successor to P. And here's another angle: Q, the naughty god-like being from Star Trek (NG), who was part of the "Q continuum". Again, we have connotations of great power behind a modest facade, not to mention immense scalability.

But I really can't stand Vegemite!

Edit: Here's the ring topology discussion I alluded to.
  • Reply 45 of 401
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Sh*t. Time to repaint the room to match. Can you provide a Pantone number for me, please? I'd like to have it repainted by this Friday, so I hope you're right.
  • Reply 46 of 401
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitride

It seems to be Apple is following Clinton i.e. denying every thing until you get caught, and then denying that you got caught in a book years later.

OK, that was actually enough to get a LOL outta me!
  • Reply 47 of 401
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

...We respect the request of our sources when they ask us not to publish things immediately.

You know, this is a line of reasoning I've never understood. MOSR does this a lot too.

"Hi, I work at Apple. Here are all the details on the WWDC G5 launch, but please don't tell anybody for a week."

This makes no sense. If you are an insider who wants to spill the beans, why the hell would you tell anybody, especially a rumors site, if it was predicated on them NOT publishing it? I'm not saying that AI is doing anything wrong, if they are truly protecting a source then that's great. It's just that the whole argument is based on the source doing something needlessly stupid. If there's some kind of "clearance" the source is waiting for, then why tell anything in advance?
  • Reply 48 of 401
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I don't think someone would do that when telling MOSR or a rumor site for the sake of the rumor, but I could see someone telling a friend that. I really think that's just so MOSR looks more reputable.

I mean, if you worked at Apple, you'd just have to tell someone or you'd absolutely go crazy! :P That, and you just couldn't wait to tell your best friend all the great things in store, but you don't want your head chopped off at Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 401
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Sh*t. Time to repaint the room to match. Can you provide a Pantone number for me, please? I'd like to have it repainted by this Friday, so I hope you're right.

Sorry, just checked. Pantone doesn't do hunter orange. None of the other vendors do either. I suggest you pick up some nice reflective orange traffic signs and cover your walls. Should be about right...
  • Reply 50 of 401
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

"This build, code-named Smeagol, will run on the new chip but won't take advantage of many of its key features, including 64-bit support. Sources said Apple's goal for Smeagol is to deliver Mac OS X performance at least "on par" with what Jaguar could achieve on Motorola G4 chips running at the same speed; the move will allow Apple to ship the new hardware before Mac OS X 10.3, a k a Panther, can take advantage of all the new processor's capabilities."

perhaps apple is learning from ibm and is "sandbagging" it..notice "at least"...perhaps it is twice as fast, three times as fast, only just as fast...i don't know, the writers don't know...everyone will know in 2 weeks

by all indications the 970 will be a great chip, but more importantly, everything around it will be better too...pipeline, rapidio or hyperactive child drive etc

g

I think that they where speaking of the speed of the OS and not the speed of applications like photoshop or others.

If the OS is not optimized for the PPC 970, there is great chances that the OS react at the same speed.
  • Reply 51 of 401
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    The key phrase in the E-Week article regarding the performance is "at least". A lot of folks seem to not quite understand that phrase.

Another way to phrase it might be: "At the least, (worst case scenario) the 970 will perform on par with the G4 under Smeagol or whatever patched version of 10.2.6 that is released with it.". MacWhispers chimed in as well with a statment from "their sources" http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000071.php

Just remember that each rumor is just a "piece" of the puzzle. No one source has the entire picture yet. (or at least they are not letting it all out yet). "at least" is a safe statement for a writer who did not want to commit to "faster performance" or who may have been "under pressure" for whatever reason to not "over state" the information. (perhaps an editorial decision - editors do that you know- really pisses of the writers sometimes).

We pretty much have to gather all the little pieces together, and then assemble the puzzle. The challenge is to put the pieces together, before Steve announces. It is important to read carefully, to figure out how the pieces fit together. In other words, to read between the lines to gather the true essence.

So my current best guess based upon all information to date?
    • 1 or 2 (different speed) single processor units will be available immediately after announcement. Dual processors will follow later.

• Their performance will be significantly improved over current G4's at the same speed, but not fully optimized in compiling until Panther is released.

• Panther will bring additional performance due to better compiling and other enhancements, not related to 64 bits.

• We are going to have to develop a whole new way of thinking about performance with the 970. A way of evaluting total system performance, rather then "raw cpu" performance which the 970 "systems" will make somewhat meaningless.

• Others are free to disagree, but I believe the 970 PowerMac is for real and will kick ass in real world performance. Even the single processor units.

• There will not be a "cube" revival before next year, and then only as a limited production "special edition" 20th Anniversary model, if at all.

• A low cost headless Mac is possible, but I don't see it yet.

• Have changed my mind about the PowerBook. I used to doubt the likelihood of a 970 Powerbook any time soon, but now consider it a possibility in the 15" model. (note the word possibility, I do still have some lingering doubts).

• Life will go on after WWDC, no matter what.

• Reply 52 of 401
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Hi, I work at Apple. Here are all the details on the WWDC G5 launch, but please don't tell anybody for a week

two reasons i can think of. one, it verifies you as a legitimate source of inside information. by telling the publishers what you know before it breaks on every page, they find out you have real inside info. in this case, our source may have told us things that other sources have since confirmed as true.

it means that in the future, this person's info will be given more weight.

second, it also helps the source figure out who they can and can't trust. tell someone not to publish it until a certain date, and see if they follow through. if not? no more info.
  • Reply 53 of 401
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitride

Of course the same could be said for the Bushies. Think Iran-Contra. Think Dubya's oil business. Think Neil's banking business. Think drugs and alcohal. Looks like we will soon be thinking WMD.
  • Reply 54 of 401
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Those troubled by the eWeek article might wish to read the Register's take on it. A reader is much less likely get the wrong impression with the Register, which does not use red-flag terms like 'crippled' or 'on a par with a G4.'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31116.html
  • Reply 55 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

We don't divulge every single detail we get. We have the safety and security of our sources to look out for. Remember workerbee? People fear smiting Apple especially when they're on the inside.

We respect the request of our sources when they ask us not to publish things immediately.

And when do we get the 'next' part...?
  • Reply 56 of 401
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Of course the same could be said for the Bushies. Think Iran-Contra. Think Dubya's oil business. Think Neil's banking business. Think drugs and alcohal. Looks like we will soon be thinking WMD.

Think Florida's electoral votes, think 2 Presidencies, Think Cheny's old company's oil contract in iRaq, think Cheney's meeting with energy companies and outrageous power bills before arctic drilling bill, think Cheney and Enron....
  • Reply 57 of 401
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Think new Mac computers soon...
  • Reply 58 of 401
    Yes, and that's what we've been waiting for. 'Real' NEW computers. No half-assed bumps. Several years later and many false 'G5' calls by the Register. 'Finally'. It will be such a boost to the Mac platform which, to be frank, has been doing quite well despite the cpu problems.

Just to see those shiny G5 Towers. It will bring a real rush of excitement to the Mac. That and Panther.

And...my bet is that this new partnership with IBM is just the beginning...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 59 of 401
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    We have all been waiting for so long for the 970 and you know what... I just don't want one untill 10.3 is pre-installed. I hate buying an OS and then having to run the upgrade disk, if you have to do a restore t is suuch a pain and upgrading is not the same as a fresh install.

I think I will just wait until September, you klnow the old saying, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
  • Reply 60 of 401
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

We have all been waiting for so long for the 970 and you know what... I just don't want one until 10.3 is pre-installed. I hate buying an OS and then having to run the upgrade disk, if you have to do a restore it is such a pain and upgrading is not the same as a fresh install.

I think I will just wait until September, you know the old saying, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Another big advantage of waiting is that some of the hardware bugs will be fixed. For instance, my 1st rev. G3 cannot use more than 2 IDE devices. This is fixed in later machines. I would certainly wait a few months after release and check macfixit and xlr8yourmac for problem reports. This isn't necessary after a small speed bump of course, but a new architecture and CPU will always bring new problems.