gnome 2 under X11

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am wondering how I can install the full Gnome 2 under X11. I have KDE 3.1 running under X11, but I would like to have Gnome 2 aswell.

(-Also under my login name when I run X11 KDE 3.1 starts automatically, I would like to manually type in "startkde" under X11.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    ok... download the Gnome packages... and compile them on your computer. But there is no need for two window managers, pic one, it will save space and make things less confusing.

as for the command-line KDE start...

well change your runlevel silly

what distro are you running (and on what hardware?)

are you new to linux on the PPC?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jeffx342jeffx342 Posts: 47member
    I have Fink, why would I need to compile it??

I am a x11 noob
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jeffx342jeffx342 Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

ok... download the Gnome packages... and compile them on your computer. But there is no need for two window managers, pic one, it will save space and make things less confusing.

as for the command-line KDE start...

well change your runlevel silly

what distro are you running (and on what hardware?)

are you new to linux on the PPC?

I am new to Linux. I am running on 17pb, I also dont need to be worrying about space I have big Lacie 200gigs external hd.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    X11 should have a preference file somewhere that choses the Window Manager. (KDE or GNOME) But I haven't done a lot of fooling around with X11 prefs in a while and even then, it was on Linux (Slackware / Debian / Red Hat).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

(-Also under my login name when I run X11 KDE 3.1 starts automatically, I would like to manually type in "startkde" under X11.)

From a basic shell (no X), try 'kdm' (as root) which launches the K Desktop Manager, log in manually (as user), and choose Gnome or KDE as the session. If you mean that KDM automatically logs you in without name/pass, edit the kdm config file, likely called kdm.conf, probably in /etc/X11/ somewhere.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Can you guys post screen caps/desktops of KDE and GNOME running on OS X?

I would like to see Fink, X-11, OS X, KDE/GNOME all peacfully coexisting on your Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I want to run Gnome 2 under x11 as well but I've been looking into it over the last few months and I'm fairly certain you want to wait a while.

Fink have only just started work on Gnome 2, and you will need to wait till it hits their stable branch before you will be able to download binaries rather than compile from source.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Can you guys post screen caps/desktops of KDE and GNOME running on OS X?

I would like to see Fink, X-11, OS X, KDE/GNOME all peacfully coexisting on your Mac.

I was looking at the site for the Yellow Dog Linux distro, designed to run on PowerPC. They are proposing some kind of combined KDE/Gnome thing.

Fink and X-11 are new neighbors on my Powerbook, and they're getting along great with old man Darwin. (Gimp and Open Office making themselves at home). The only downside is that the December 2002 Developer Tools are only downloadable on a dead-slow ftp connection (at least here), so we're limited to binaries instead of all that yummy source for now. New tools with Panther anyway, probably