You do know that you will pay for the 64 bit OS X,, right?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With the new OS X being slated for release over the coming weeks and months, I just wanted to get ahead of the inevitable waves of "waaaah, I have to pay or the upgrade' fever here at AI.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Why whine? Nobody are forcing you to upgrade. If you choose to, I'm sure you'll get a nice pack of new features, and whether they're worth the money or not will be an individual experience as usual. What you pay for is that very piece of software that hopefully makes your time at the computer easier and/or more pleasurable, and for further development of it.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    and we have a Mac OS X specific forum for your whining pleasure
  • Reply 3 of 26
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

With the new OS X being slated for release over the coming weeks and months, I just wanted to get ahead of the inevitable waves of "waaaah, I have to pay or the upgrade' fever here at AI.....

With the new 970 PowerMac being slated for release over the coming weeks and months, I just want to get ahead of the inevitable waves of "waaaah, please take my cash for the upgrade" over at the Apple Store...

I don't think I am alone in planning on upgrading my computer and getting 10.3 for free.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I hope they offer the family pack version again...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Yes I *do* realize that a 64-bit OS requires 64-bit hardware, and that 64-bit hardware is not free. However, *you* should realize that the 64-bit hardware will *come* with the 64-bit OS, or at least with an upgrade coupon to it. Everything else would make no sense.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I hope they offer the family pack version again...

Huh? I have two macs that would goto 10.3. You can bet I'm going to only buy one copy of OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Huh? I have two macs that would goto 10.3. You can bet I'm going to only buy one copy of OS X.

damn pirate.

Quote:

You do know that you will pay for the 64 bit OS X,, right?

and you also know that it will be 10.3?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    What's the point of this thread.

Scenario A: 970 Macs released, 10.3 not finished. 970 Macs will include 10.2.7 or whatever special 64-bit kernel version, with 32-bit apps. 970 Macs will also include upgrade coupon for 10.3 - 20 dollars or whatever.

Scenario B: 970 Macs released, full 64-bit 10.3 bundled.

So what's expensive in either scenario?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    gas. it's always the gas.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Topic: You do know that you will pay for the 64 bit OS X,, right?

Well, it depends
  • Reply 11 of 26
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    OR Scenario C:

you don't have a 970 Mac, you don't buy a 970 Mac, and you have to pay between $100-130 to get OS X 10.3 or whatever they call it.

Then a million and one AI'ers come to bitch about having to pay for it.....
  • Reply 12 of 26
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Whiner!

I'm confident that Panther will be well worth its price. And I'll be happy to pay for my copy of Panther with a new PPC 970-powered 12-inch PowerBook! $2000 laptop to get a $130 OS "for free" sounds like a great deal.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think people with 32 bit CPUs should get half off the price of a 64 bit OS X
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

OR Scenario C:

you don't have a 970 Mac, you don't buy a 970 Mac, and you have to pay between $100-130 to get OS X 10.3 or whatever they call it.

Then a million and one AI'ers come to bitch about having to pay for it.....

And that has *what* to do with "pay for the 64-bit OS X" (see thread title)?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I believe there is already one Capt. Obvious here at AI.

Not to be an Apple apologist but considering how awesome OS X is don't you think it's worth it? Get a real job and shell out the money. I worked hard for my machine and it is worth it. If you want something enough you will work for it and find a way to pay for it. That is something that my job working at Cutco selling knives taught me. If people want something bad enough they will be able to afford it all of a sudden!

edit: Apparently AI's front page has a lil' rumor about the 970s and Panther coupons. If Apple makes 970 owners pay full price for Panther then your whining is justified. However, if they offer coupons I don't see what the problem is.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I paid $130 for Jaguar and never repented. However, I had some unquestionable info on Jaguar before buying; now, on the contrary, I don't know anything about Panther. Perhaps, I will learn enough by the late August. I hope so.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

well I have the 5 macs in this house that I plan to upgrade, plus grandma, plus all the computers at school that I will no doubt have to fix (friend's computers, not the school's computers...) so I will probably upgrade them too... the family pack is well worth the price considering I have quite a few macs that I want to upgrade...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member

It's a sign!

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

http://www.scifiminds.net/amorya/sign.gif

It's a sign!

Amorya

!! YEAH! lol.. Does anyone know for sure whether Panther (10.3) will run on a G3? I have a 600 MHz G3... I really wanna be able to run Panther...
  • Reply 20 of 26