Why are you not allowed to pump your own gas in NJ or OR?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I knew about this law in NJ before this weekend (and just learned that it applied to Oregon as well) so on a roadtrip to NYC I stopped for gas in NJ just for the novelty of having my gas pumped for me.

But anyway... what is the real reason for this law? A couple of reasons I've read:

1. It's for the welfare of senior citizen/disabled drivers, who can't pump gas as easily as average folk.

2. Some stupid person was smoking at the pump, caught fire, and sued the station/state or something. So this law is to prevent that.

3. Well, now if you go back to having self-serve pumps in these states, a lot of gas pumpers will be out of jobs, so it's for the economy.

Anyone out there have any thoughts? This is purely for my own curiosity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The NJ law is an archaic one from back when gasoline and the pumps were a lot more dangerous. The law simply hasn't been repealed or revised. For all I know, the gas "jerks" (like soda jerks I guess) have a strong union. I dunno. No, you don't tip them here.

I think the oil companies are gearing up for a big push to change this. They are of course installing the same pumps as self-serve stations have, plus they're buildig those big quickie-mart style stops despite the low foot traffic. While other states' gas stations have those big convenience stores and make a ton of money on them (especially when they make you pay inside despite those newfangled pumps), in NJ, there's little reason to leave your car, let alone get something to munch on. I would think these places would want to change that, and the gas jerks can still have their minimum wage jobs wihout as much brain damage.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

I think the oil companies are gearing up for a big push to change this.

by BuonRotto

How are they going to get that by the teamsters??? This Jersey afterall, home of one strongest Union cultures in the US.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    As BuonRotto stated it the only reason for such a law is corporatism.

There isn't any logical argument for this.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

by Powerdoc

Well, sure. But many things don't make sense.

I personally was uncomfortable the one time I was in Jersey and found that I could not pump my own gas. I gave the guy a $3 tip.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I remember seeing an episode of "Candid Camera" a couple years ago where this was a subject of the prank. Drivers would come into the station expecting to have their gas pumped, and the attendant would say that they could save 5 cents per gallon or something if they pump their own at a special pump around back. A lot of drivers said something to the effect of, "I don't know how to pump my own gas," or "Isn't that illegal in this state?" To the latter, the attendant would encourage them that he wouldn't say anything and it's secluded back there by the rogue pump. I'm not doing a good job at capturing the humor of it, but it was interesting to watch. Darn near NOBODY under 30 years old knew how to pump their own gas. They couldn't do it if they had to! Hm.

If I went to one of those states, I'd probably forget about it and start getting out of the car to grab the nozzle. I can just see the attendant running up going "Wait! What are you doing? You can't do that?" What WOULD law enforcement do anyway? Arrest you? Fine the station? \
  • Reply 6 of 31
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

As BuonRotto stated it the only reason for such a law is corporatism.

Actually, the reason why the laws exist is logical. There is an issue with ozone/gasoline emissions when you pump your gas incorrectly. The full-service only rules stem from the realization that most people who drive cars dont pump the gas correctly.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Actually, the reason why the laws exist is logical. There is an issue with ozone/gasoline emissions when you pump your gas incorrectly. The full-service only rules stem from the realization that most people who drive cars dont pump the gas correctly.

Sorry , but i don't buy your argument, i practice self service pomping since more than a decade, have watched others drivers doing it, and i never seen something idiotic or wrong.

If you want to respect the ozone/gasoline emissions then the law should oblige to have the special devices that pump the gaz emitted by the pumping device. I should add, that for the health of the employers, this device should be mandatory. Gazoline contain benzene, and benzene is a risk factor of cancer. If you pump your self your own gazoline, you will breath very few of it in your life, if you are a professional you will breath 10 000 time more.

So your law, has for results to increase the risk of cancer of people working in such stations.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I would also think that if gasoline/ozone emissions from incorrectly pumped gas were such a concern, a lot more states would require full-service gas stations.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Sorry , but i don't buy your argument, i practice self service pomping since more than a decade, have watched others drivers doing it, and i never seen something idiotic or wrong.

If you want to respect the ozone/gasoline emissions then the law should oblige to have the special devices that pump the gaz emitted by the pumping device. I should add, that for the health of the employers, this device should be mandatory. Gazoline contain benzene, and benzene is a risk factor of cancer. If you pump your self your own gazoline, you will breath very few of it in your life, if you are a professional you will breath 10 000 time more.

So your law, has for results to increase the risk of cancer of people working in such stations.

I agree with the cancer risk analysis although with current pumps it is much minimalized (more dangerous than benzene is the napthalene that is used as an antiknock agent, benzene evaporates pretty quickly at room temperature, napthalene is a solid), but in areas where ozone polution is or was a problem these laws exist for a reason. My grandfather was a mechanic and the reasons I cited are why the laws exist or so I am told. I unfortunately have seen idiots pumping gas, smoking, car running, filling secondary vessels that are not grounded....
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Darn near NOBODY under 30 years old knew how to pump their own gas. They couldn't do it if they had to!"

Riiiight. Must be a serious problem for them when they visit the other 48 states.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    A little off topic but what do you think all these "pro" gas pumpers would have done in the DC snipper situation. Quit? Demand hazard pay? Run away?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

"pro" gas pumpers

And, do they have to have some sort of gas-pumping degree?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol,

"Yes ma'am, I have a Masters Degree in pumping"
  • Reply 14 of 31
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Don't ask me how big oil plans to get past the teamsters, except that it is big oil we're talking about. Don't forget that the oil companies have huge storage/distribution centers and a ton of corporate offices and land in the north of the state. I imagine the money going through those places is a hefty bargaining chip to carry around.

My humorous anecdote involves me drving up to a pump in upstate NY a couple of years ago on my way home to NJ. I paid at the pump (love that), and clumsily managed to start filling my tank when a couple tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to show them how to pump their own gas. Sheepishly, they explained to me that they were from NJ and haven't ever pumped their own gas. I told them they were asking the wrong guy and pointed at my license plate. But I managed to get them and myself outof there without blowing anything up.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    I lived in NJ for ten years, and can assure you that it is not because the state is afraid that its citizens will pump gas incorrectly.

Years ago, a disabled person sued the gas station and the state because he/she could not pump the gas and full service was not always available. This is what happened. In NJ, people sue for EVERYTHING. It is one of the most litigious cultures in the US. As for OR, I do not know why you cannot pump your own gas there.

As for a change to the law in NJ... I have heard rumors for years on end that they (as in they, I mean that mysterious "they" that has the power to do so) have been considering changing the law to allow self serve. Don't count on it happened any time too soon.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

This probaly isn't the reason for the laws but it should be. People don't realize that when you top off after the pump shuts off automatically, you are compromising the emissions systems built into the pumps. I'll bet a significant number of drivers routinely top off when they pump their own gas.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"Darn near NOBODY under 30 years old knew how to pump their own gas. They couldn't do it if they had to!"

Riiiight. Must be a serious problem for them when they visit the other 48 states.

I refer to BuonRotto's post above and the fact that I actually watched the program to prove that there ARE people in this country that do not know how to pump their own gasoline. And really, how many times do most people ever LEAVE their own state? I live 15 miles from the Kansas State Line and I only go over there about once every few months.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

This probaly isn't the reason for the laws but it should be. People don't realize that when you top off after the pump shuts off automatically, you are compromising the emissions systems built into the pumps. I'll bet a significant number of drivers routinely top off when they pump their own gas.

Problem is, the gas attendants top off your tank too, even when there are stickers all over the pumps saying not to, even if you're using a card anyway. Some stations (like the Exxon on the road to my parents' place) have the attendants ask if you're using a card or cash before they pump, then top off the tank anyway. Honestly, does anyone lose sleep if they charge an odd amount to your card? Sorry, pet peeve, this is.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    How could someone not know intuitively how to pump gaz? There are what, 3 steps? And it's usually written on some stickers.

In Canada we have both, self-service and with service. You save about 1 cent/liter (sorry I know nothing at all about thos damn imperial units) if you choose self-service. The service is useful when it's raining or it's -30C outside (sorry again, I don't get fahraneits or whatever the spelling is).

And gaz pumpers are in a union? Now that's funny Around here it's the kind of job students have in the summer, you don't do it for more than a few years.