4th generation ipod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
just thinking over what improvements could be done for this

obvious ones that are likely or possible

-bigger capacity

-even smaller/slimmer in size or atleast the same size as 3rd gen ipod

-extended battery life (since some are peeved at the lessened amount this time)

but what else?

i reckon the following additional inbuilt features would blow competition away

-built in fm radio

-ability to record radio to mp3/aac

-dictation into the ipod

looking at the above features. right now they are interesting yet the only mp3 players that offer them seem to be rather expensive and measley 128mb ones. which are small and not cheap for what they are. if apple could make their high capacity ipods that have Gb's for use have the above then not only would equivalent 20gb players look lacking but also the smaller ones of 128mb which would then look really bad in comparision.

are there any more wishes or wants (realistic please) for what to go on the next revision?

just thought this would be fun to discuss in the meantime.

also how long was it between previous ipod revisions? as in how long are we likely to be waiting til the 4th generation ones come forth?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

-built in fm radio

hope not.

radio is so analog.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Would it be possible to fit a satalitte radio(Sirius/XM) unit into an iPod without making it too much bigger? That would be a solution to the FM-is-so-analog problem. Might be way too big though. And it also requires an antenna, so maybe it would just get in the way.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

radio is so analog.

How about a digital audio output in the dock? Lots of stereo systems have optical in puts now. I think that's realistic.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Would it be possible to fit a satalitte radio(Sirius/XM) unit into an iPod without making it too much bigger? That would be a solution to the FM-is-so-analog problem. Might be way too big though. And it also requires an antenna, so maybe it would just get in the way.

Comes with the iHat digital satellite antenna (not for use on windy days)
  • Reply 5 of 20
    this is the route i will be going soon:

ipod 15 gig $399

live365.com subscription ($5 a month)

radiolover ($15) to save live365 streams to ipod (and delete when done keeping it all legal like)

not having to listen to commericals,britney pop and boneheaded djs

priceless.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    and by "analog" i really mean "old tech" "yesterday's news", "un-hip","squaresville"
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Why not have the ability to connect eitehr bluetooth or airport to itunes radio streams? Would only work at close range (if possible) but is a nice bonus.

As for FM being analog, not for long. With in the next year or two the FCC ruled that radio stations must convert to digital. That's why I haven't gotten a XM radio yet. Digital free FM as I kinda miss the DJs.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    "Hang the DJ" - the Smiths
  • Reply 9 of 20
    i listen to the radio for the morning show on kqrs and for the traffic report on the drive home. sadly, i cant take my car w/ me everywhere, i'd like to bike to class and listen to my morning show, but nooooooo, apple wont let me

</semi-sarcasm>
  • Reply 10 of 20
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Guess it also depends on the DJs. I enjoy Hip Hop and that entails mixes and DJ commentary often at times. Something about the dead quiet 2 second gaps and non stop back to back music just would be missing something for me. There will always be a place for DJs, just maybe not in all genres.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by missyvortexdv

-bigger capacity

-even smaller/slimmer in size or atleast the same size as 3rd gen ipod

-extended battery life (since some are peeved at the lessened amount this time)

I think it is great how Apple is incrementally trying to improve this product (you see this happening in the other portable products as well). Instead of waiting for the product to be "perfect" before releasing it. I think you'll see all of these improvements and more. (Though size will soon hit the threshold of not being usable if it gets too much smaller.)

Yes to all three above.

Possibly a color display? Sync w/iPhoto (as well as iTunes)?

Edge-to-edge display?

Some sort of wireless connectivity? Wireless sync-ing? This is an obious desire, but not so obvious solution. Bluetooth is likely cheaper in terms of size, power and part costs. However bandwidth is only suitable for the PDA-like functions of the iPod...and the iPod is NOT a PDA (so says Apple). WiFi provides the bandwidth for music and (speculated iPhoto) data transfer, at the cost of battery, size and $.

Still, I suspect Apple has prototypes looking at all of these solutions, trying to pick the combination that makes the most sense.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    iPod version 4.0

1. Crossfading of tracks with intelligent beat matching.

2. Removeable drives

3. Home DLD hookup.

4. Built in Camera. Hell if a Cell Phone has one. Why not the iPod? A natural for iPhoto.

5. Bluetooth..what the hell.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

2. Removeable drives

Magic 8-Ball says: "Prospects Seem Unlikely"

• Reply 14 of 20
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

1. Crossfading of tracks with intelligent beat matching.

That would be soooo boss.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    lungarettalungaretta Posts: 194member
    why whenever anyone launches one of these ipod new feature threads does nobody raise the point of fixing the features that we currently 'enjoy'.

now i'm not slagging the ipod as it's the best out there but how about a new 'feature' such as removing the half second pause between songs or even the small click sound between songs? or how about the 'on the go' playlists being savable so they can be transferred to itunes?

i'd love all these wonderful things people are suggesting but the thing i would love more is fixes to what we currently have.

just my opinion...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I had an idea once. For the iPod, Incorporate a recorder unit, and then have a little Level meter on the headphones(which can act as cheap mics, unless you wish to buy something nicer.) At anyrate, a simple level display, coupled with signal gain control, so that you don't get clipping on your recordings, and you don't need to have your iPod out to check the settings.

How about an EQ? that would be neat.

how about they release a bigger iPod, with a 60 gig drive, and all the pro features one could think of(digital ins and outs, recording capabilities...etc.) and sell it as a Pro ipod, while keeping 15,20,30 gig models as consumer, selling at $199,$299,$399, $549 for the pro model

maybe it could be black.

That would be neat actually, if the next rev iPods came in either white or black, no change in cost, just aesthetic.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I want the ability to transfer images from my digital camera to the iPod for storage without having to use a computer. Previewing the images on the iPod would be a bonus but the storage option is more important.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Radio: no. The whole point of an iPod is so that one doesn't have to listen to the crap on the radio. If you want radio, why are you spending 400 on a compressed audio file player?

Other options:

1. Some way to dump photos from a camera or flash card. An iPod could facilitate taking an awful lot of pics on a vacation, without expensive flash memory and no laptop. This would be a killer option, IMO, opening an entirely new market for the iPod. Many photographers would buy an iPod just for the photo storage, not even using it for music (at least not planning on it Plus, many photographers are mac users, so....

2. Recording ability. Probably would need a plug-in mic to get over the background noise from the HD, but that's fine. Another killer feature.

3. Nuclear power supply...ooops! Sorry, wouldn't want any evil dictators to prop up Apple's earnings by buying millions of iPods to use as raw material for Weapons of Mass Distraction, er, Destruction.

I'd actually like to see these new options before further decreases in size or weight on the iPod, or even HD increases (although since toshiba boosts the size, and Apple just plunks them in, use whatever's available).
  • Reply 19 of 20
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    while in "iDJ" mode, the scroll/touchwheel acts like vinyl awaiting scratch,
  • Reply 20 of 20
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    One phrase:

Organic Emitting Light Diode (OELD). The 4th gen iPod get radical new display.