Optimizing:....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You have all seen it before... when you install an app sometimes you have to wait like 20 min for the installer to go through this step... it is annoying...

I use cocktail to force a pre-binding (or whatever it is called) update... so why do I have to sit through it on an installer? is there some way to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I believe that pre-binding is only needed when you install new apps or frameworks. It links the apps and the frameworks ahead of time. It's not needed but it improves performance down the road, like instead of taking the time to link each app to the frameworks when you double-click it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    is cocktail a necessary app.?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I think so, yes. A cool tool for your system.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

no
  • Reply 6 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Prebinding affects only app launching time and (if I'm not mistaken) bundle loading time, which are essentially the same thing. It will never make Photoshop blur pixels faster. Prebinding is actually a myth of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

This time of year, I'd recommend the application of gin & tonics (it's a heat wave here in CH). Maybe while you're waiting for the re-prebinding, cache cleaning, and cron jobs to run. Cheers! How can anyone turn down a great tool like Cocktail?