X.2.6 freezes... completely...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
no kernel panic... the UI just freezes...

it has happened 3 times in the last 24 hours...

the first time I had just left the computer alone and it went into it's screen saver.... I came back a few hours or so later to find the entire screen frozen...

the second time I was actively using the computer. This was about 12 hrs later or so... everything just froze including the mouse and the menu meters I have running in the menu...

the third time happened basically right after that one... I restarted the computer and went to sleep... when I woke up the screen saver was frozen again...

the only way to reboot the computer after it freezes is to press command control power and that only shuts it off... the computer is then unresponsive for a few minutes... not even unplugging everything and resetting the power manager lets me turn it back on... eventually the computer will respond and I will be able to turn it on again....

the only thing that I can think of to be causing this is that maybe the CPU overheats because I was using 90%+ of it for a little while in each case (the screen saver takes up a lot of cpu)

I have a few haxies installed like clear dock, ucontrol, and I am using the old dock version that allows minimize in place... but I have been updated to 10.2.6 for a while and I haven't had any real problems until now... I have also been using all these hacks problem-free since I installed them...

I have also been running the screen saver for a good 6 months without any problems either...

the only thing that I installed recently was the security update from apple, but I doubt that is causing problems...

everything is stock from apple on the machine... the only extra hardware I have is the CF PC card that I have had for 10 months or so... it was present each time but I highly doubt that is causing the problem, I have removed it for now...

667 DVI PB

256 30 (1.46 free)

could it be an overheating problem? I haven't heard the fan for a while, but I thought that was because I was keeping it well-ventilated... and I thought that would cause a KP not a complete freeze...

I am going to run the hardware test and I was planning on re-installing the OS anyway... hopefully it won't come to that...

anyone have any insight?

could it be because I haven't removed the plastic from the outside casing that they put on when they replaced everything? I doubt that would be it...

If I have to send it in (AGAIN this is like the 3rd time) should I remove this plastic or leave it? I have been taking VERY good care of this computer esp since the casing was just replaced... \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well, the fan works.... but it is stuck on the memory test on the CD... damn... I'll let it be for a while...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    A few people (me incldued) found that the 10.2.6 update scrambled the firmware on some machines. Did you try resetting it? I can't really see why that would cause your comp to freeze, but it's surely worth a shot.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    yeah the hardware test CD froze on the memory test... the fan works fine...

so it is either messed up firmware or my memory is busted... but I don't see how that would happen...

at least I know it is not a software problem...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

A few people (me incldued) found that the 10.2.6 update scrambled the firmware on some machines. Did you try resetting it? I can't really see why that would cause your comp to freeze, but it's surely worth a shot.

how do I reset the firmware?

oh and if you don,t mind, post instructions here as well
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ok.... now it wont boot at all... and the bottom is very hot even though it has been off... it has been plugged in... but that usually doesn't heat up the machine unless it is charging... and it is fully charged...

\
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ok something is severely messed up... the machine is getting REALLY hot and I unplugged it a while ago... I just took out the battery, hopefully that will stop the heat...

..... I'm thinking I should just call up apple or go down to the store....

should I remove the external plastic?

the hardware test CD is still in the drive \
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ok, removed the battery and it cooled down... I just rebooted (plugged it in, battery is still removed) it and I tried to run the hardware test again. I did the quick test this time and the display scrambled on the logic board test and it was unresponsive... looks like I'm going to take it to the Apple store tomorrow...

what is a quick and easy way to backup in X? I have a big external HD I can use... any ideas?

also I'm going to leave the plastic on as long as I can... maybe the genius will help with that side of the problem (if you can call it a problem)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I don't know how much the plastic covers, but generally you are supposed to remove protective wrapping like that immediately, before turning it on. Hrmm.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I don't know how much the plastic covers, but generally you are supposed to remove protective wrapping like that immediately, before turning it on. Hrmm.

What plastic cover? the plastic thats on the screen during shipping?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    it was only on the outside casing... i left it on to prevent scratches...

I highly doubt that leaving the plastic on caused problems... heat disipated just as if there was no plastic... I'll post pictures I guess...