Bizzare log-in error

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is too weird. I did some routine maintenance on a lab DualG4 yesterday, including installing the 6/9 security update and doing a permissions repair. Today, one of our lab people told me the computer would no longer let him log in.

After fiddling with passwords for a while, we realized that it would not let anyone log in if they clicked the "login" button after entering the password. If you instead hit return to login, it works fine. WTF? Is this a bug? Has anyone else noticed? We have a twin to this DualG4 that I haven't done the maintence on yet (both run 10.2.6 though) and it still works fine. I think it might be an issue with the security update? Can anyone else who's installed the update corroborate this for me? It wears on the nerves on the less-technically-inclined when things stop working for no apparent reason.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    login button works on this 233 Bondi Rev A...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Hmm. The lesson for today, kids, is don't install 6-09 security update (former two Apple Support Forums, latter MacFixIt.com).

I'm going to have to post a sign above our $5000 workstation that says "Log-in button is broken until further notice. Hit return to log in." How amateurish can you get? We're all either Macheads or technophobes here, so no real harm done. But if anyone thinking about switching finds out that a dinky little security update hosed the login button? It's absurd. Makes Apple look like the Binky the Clown computer company.

Well, I guess better than hosing your hard drive. But still, given how wide the reports of this bug are, it makes you wonder if Apple tested the update on even a single computer before they released it. Does not a single perosn at Apple ever push a GUI button? How could they miss something so obvious? Didn't the wipe-hard-drive-installer episode teach them anything? Sheesh. I've learned not to install any system update without waiting a few days and watching the boards. Guess I'll do the same with these "security" updates now. [/rant]
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    maybe the problem with my ti is related? although it seems like hardware... now I want to backup my system.... but I can't get it to boot....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

But if anyone thinking about switching finds out that a dinky little security update hosed the login button? It's absurd. Makes Apple look like the Binky the Clown computer company.

Are you kidding? If that's the worst of it I'm sure people would move over in droves. We have a couple of dozen P4 boxen where I work that can't be used because they can't come up with a single Windows image that will work.