Cut your own hair?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am tired of cheap-o hair cut joints like Great Clips. They suck. Problem is, I'm either too masculine or too cheap to go to a real "stylist". I can't seem to find a good old fashioned barber anymore either.

I like the Ceasar hair style. Short, squared bangs, simple. A classic. Sometimes spelled Caesar, or Cesar. Whatever. Pronounced "See-Zar". You know, like the Roman dude. Or the guy who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series. Wasn't Batgirl hot? OK, that's another topic. Let's worry about my hair first.

So, I'm thinking "Hey, why don't I buy a pair of good clippers and decent sissors and do it myself (or have my girlfriend help). Maybe get a pair of thining shears to make it kinda messy and fun.

So, is it possible for me or my GF (neither have any experience) to cut my hair into a simple Ceasar?

I mean really, the back and sides would be done with clippers using a number 4 or 5 blade attachment. Easy. It's the Bangs I can't figure out. If I mow over the front bangs with the clippers/trimmer, I'm sure to end up with a military cut!

So how do I cut the bangs properly? It cant be THAT hard. Right? Fellas? Hello?

I can't find any good sites on how to cut hair. Maybe I will just shave it bald. I can't go back to Great Clips! I won't go! Never! You can't make me!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My mother used to run a beauty salon. I don't usually have to pay for haircuts.

And you can definitely train the girlfriend to cut your hair. She will think it is fun.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You mean like this?

• Reply 3 of 23
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

You mean like this?

Em. Well. Sorta. Yes. I suppose so.

I was thinking more like old-school George Clooney. But thanks for that image.

Maybe I will shave my head...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just brush in, sprinkle on a little freshly-grated Parmesan, and you're all set.

• Reply 5 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I cut my own hair most of the time. Of course, it's really easy for me because I just use the clippers all around. The back is the problem but I'm getting pretty good at doing it with 2 mirrors. I find that the cheap places suck and more often than not, I have to come home and clean up their messes or they do something STUPID like decide they want to shorten my sideburns. And then they do it unevenly. AGGHHH! It pisses me off to no end.... My fiancee has done it for me in the past and will when we move back to the same city. Til then, it's all me and my 2 mirrors.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Started cutting my own hair about 5 years ago.Got Pissed off with the cost of going to a Barber./ gent's hairdresser. $10.00 per throw every 3 weeks..

My clippers I bought second hand ( unused ) unit ( $5 ) complete with video tape and five clip grade blades for varying hair length.

I've never looked back..

Re the sides etc..easy use small scissors.

• Reply 7 of 23
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Started cutting my own hair about 5 years ago.Got Pissed off with the cost of going to a Barber./ gent's hairdresser. $10.00 per throw every 3 weeks..

My clippers I bought second hand ( unused ) unit ( $5 ) complete with video tape and five clip grade blades for varying hair length.

I've never looked back..

Re the sides etc..easy use small scissors.

Bah. 15 bucks every 3 1/2 months isn't so bad.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Bah. 15 bucks every 3 1/2 months isn't so bad.

Bah Humbug !

Every penny counts..

Scrooge !
  • Reply 9 of 23
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i've cut my hair ... it's easier when it's 20" long or longer though ...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I work with a guy that gets buzzed twice a year. Even he doesn't cut his own.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    The hardest part when I cut my hair, is the back left side !

other than that, cutting your own hair isn't THAT hard .... [esp. for a guy] .... depending on hair style ...

as long as you are okay with shaving your head if you f*ck up, then give it a go!

that's what I did 4 years ago! And I've yet to f*ck up my hair enough to where I'd shave it

*crosses fingers*
  • Reply 12 of 23
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i used to cut my hair much to my Mom's dismay lately i've been having my wife cut it. it's simple really since it's all one length (longish)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Start small and do more as you get braver. I had been cutting my sons hair, so I bought good electric clippers for the job. One day I notice it was getting long around my ears and I figured I could handle that. I started doing more and haven't been to a barber in over five years. For bangs, I comb the hair down and use scissors. I never use a mirror for the back, but rely on the clipper guides. For what its worth, my wife says I do a good job. If ten thumbs me can do it, you can too.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Ps regards cutting my own hair..

With the money I saved I bought a S/Hand iMac 600 mhz with cd-r & stacks of ram...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I cut my own hair most of the time. Of course, it's really easy for me because I just use the clippers all around. The back is the problem but I'm getting pretty good at doing it with 2 mirrors. I find that the cheap places suck and more often than not, I have to come home and clean up their messes or they do something STUPID like decide they want to shorten my sideburns. And then they do it unevenly. AGGHHH! It pisses me off to no end.... My fiancee has done it for me in the past and will when we move back to the same city. Til then, it's all me and my 2 mirrors.

I know what you mean about the cheap places. I used to go to the places in the 2 local malls around here and my haircuts always sucked. And like you said, the sideburns were always uneven and too short. I started going to this guy whose daugther goes to my school. The place is like an old-school barber shop. He seems to give good haircuts, but I've only been there once.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member

How do they do that???
  • Reply 17 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Since Feb. 2000, I have shaved my head myself about once a week.

Prior to Feb. 2000, I hadn't had it cut in a decade.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I go to some barber, who only charges $9.00. I only go once a month or at the most twice. I consider those $9.00 payments a worthy investment, since my hands shake so much I couldn't imagine cutting my own hair.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    almost.......

happened just the other day

it was gettin' kind of long....

coulda said it was in my way

but i didn't and i wonder why

FEEL LIKE LETTIN' MY FREAK FLAG FLY!!!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I used to go to one of those funny "old man" barbershops in my early 20's, while still living here in Chattanooga. I like the old 1940's short-on-sides-and-back-and-longer-on-front-and-top look anyway, so it worked out...that's the only way those bastards knew how to cut hair!

Then when we moved to California, my wife cut it. We bought a clipper set and some decent shears and a cute little nylon cape to drape around me (I DESPERATELY searched for a red one with an "S", but that's neither here nor there). She did a wonderful job because she'd done it for years, just for friends and her brother and she had a knack for it, even with no training.

Anyway, we go our separate ways (legally only...still great friends) and move to different cities.

I stumbled across a girl named Amber in San Diego about 2 or so years ago and she (this is going to sound horrible) gave the best head (in the most innocent, haircutting way possible, of course) I'd EVER had (plus she was a cutie-pie AND a sweetheart...I've referred to her a number of times here as that "apple-butted vixen").

But now I'm back in the South and I've rolled the dice since being back and have done the Fantasic Sam's thing twice, both with - thank goodness - great results.

I'd go to that old man place, but I honestly thing they're all dead and it's closed.

Nah, I'd never cut my own hair. On some days, folks, it's the only damn thing I got goin' for me. I don't need to be ruining it!