Crop Circles "Keep an open mind"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

From alien life to crop circles I am always amazed by the large number of people that fall for such nonsense. This thread is about crop circles and the myth and deception that follow the topic.

This quote is telling:

Quote:

The following outline is a summary of theories and working hypotheses regarding the mechanisms of crop circle formation. Bear in mind that there are literally thousands of scientists, mathematicians, researchers, and physicists out there who have heard of crop circle phenomena, and like yourself, harbor their own pet theories about how, why, and by whom these glyphs are produced. Keep an open mind as you scan through the ideas and conjectures. Remember that it is all too easy to grasp for certainty at the beginning of a mystery, and then all too easy to throw criticism at something which does not satisfy all the known facts. We encourage you to enter fully into this enigma, applying everything you know to what is unknown.

Notice the wording "Keep an open mind"

It is so sad people fall for this...

This quote is even worse:
Quote:

As members of the CCCS (Centre for Crop Circle Studies) will tell you, the varieties and types of theories abound. The CCCS began in 1990 as a collaborative effort between professional researchers, authors, gifted psychics and dowsers, to establish a base station for scientific studies of the circles.

"gifted psychics" How pathetic

Quotes above taken from:

This link

If you want a good laugh click the above link and read over their "theories" It begs a good question.... Who comes up this stuff???

First of all let me say crop circles are manmade with simple tools and it is laughable to see "so called" theories about their origins.

Meet Rod Dickinson and Wil Russell

Take a look at how they make crop circles:

Some crop circles

Plan for crop circle pictured above:

Do you think crop circles are made other ways? Aliens? Strange Forces?

Weigh in 8)

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    You are one to laugh at seemingly unbelievable whackjob theories. When I hear people whining about heaevn and hell and invisible gods and goddesses, I too think "where do they come up with this stuff?"

Oh yeah, crop circles kick ass.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I believe in the sequel!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I don't know who or what are behind the crop circles, except to say they'd make great logo designers...

Some of the images could only have been made with a Mac.

So if its " aliens " who's done em ..at least they'z done em with the only computer that counts..

Could you imagine crop circles designed on a PeeCee?

All jagged crooked lines that don't match up or are left half finished with a sign over them saying.

" You have attempted to perform an illegal operation "
  • Reply 4 of 33
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You are one to laugh at seemingly unbelievable whackjob theories. When I hear people whining about heaevn and hell and invisible gods and goddesses, I too think "where do they come up with this stuff?"

I always love to see what BR will add.

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Indeed. I'd even think crop circles being of extra-terrestrial origin is slightly *more* plausible than typical religious lore, though both are silly.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Indeed. I'd even think crop circles being of extra-terrestrial origin slightly is *more* plausible than typical religious lore, though both are silly.

ohh come on have an "open mind"

Fellows
  • Reply 7 of 33
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I saw a special on Tech Tv Screensavers about this, Around the time "signs" came out, they had a segment on the show where they had one of hte designers from the movie come and use photoshop and within 5 minutes they had a fairly believable crop circle created from scratch.

of course, this was a rushed job, but still, you could easily see how with a little work it could be made to look much more convincing.

I personally don't know, I haven't seen any personally, and photos and stuff are hard to trust.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Indeed. I'd even think crop circles being of extra-terrestrial origin slightly is *more* plausible than typical religious lore, though both are silly.

Indeed. We are arbitrarily selective with our skepticism. The ideas of someone "walking on water", (or thousands marching across the Red Sea), or the age of the Universe being 6000 years, or someone feeding 5000 hungry folks with 5 loaves and 2 fish, turning water into wine, or a human being born of a virgin mother 2000 years back, etc etc are preposterous in the utmost. Yet billions of people unquestioningly believe that these things (and others) really happened, literally.

The notion of crop circles being of 'alien origin' is out there for sure...but decidely sober compared to some of those wacko biblical fantasies.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Indeed. We are arbitrarily selective with our skepticism. The ideas of someone "walking on water", (or thousands marching across the Red Sea), or the age of the Universe being 6000 years, or someone feeding 5000 hungry folks with 5 loaves and 2 fish, turning water into wine, or a human being born of a virgin mother 2000 years back, etc etc are preposterous in the utmost. Yet billions of people unquestioningly believe that these things (and others) really happened, literally.

The notion of crop circles being of 'alien origin' is out there for sure...but decidely sober compared to some of those wacko biblical fantasies.

Well one thing I can say in humble defense is simply that I am consistent with keeping what would be termed as miraculous as in the supernatural realm. With crop circles it is clear by the evidence how they are formed. In both cases "natural" and "supernatural" I believe things were designed by a designer. At least I did not post a view that crop circles just evolved into their forms.

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

" Walking across water "

Easy..

Fill a glass with water, pour water onto floor..walk across water!

" March across Red sea "

Wait for tide to go out.

"Feeding 2000 with Loaves & fishes.."

In those days, Loaves were Huge

& the Fish looked like the ones that normally get away.

Besides people were really tiny..so didn't eat much.

Water to wine..yeah easy..most wine is only 12% alcohol..so to stretch wine means nothing if you add lots of sugar / honey fermentation to the brew.

As regards other Wacko ideas..wel they're certainly more believable than Marxism.

• Reply 11 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

" March across Red sea "

Wait for tide to go out.

Actually, I believe it was a poor translation of 'reed sea' which was a body of water that did exist but was very shallow and filled with, you guessed it, reeds.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Actually, I believe it was a poor translation of 'reed sea' which was a body of water that did exist but was very shallow and filled with, you guessed it, reeds.

So you are claiming that in the original hebrew the words "red" and "reed" are just a similar as they are in english?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

So you are claiming that in the original hebrew the words "red" and "reed" are just a similar as they are in english?

Here is what one source believes:

Science Link

and before BR asks me what "I" think on the opinion of the link above I will answer by saying I was not there and I don't know for sure.

Fellowship
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Ironic that Fellowship would have started this thread.

Not really

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Actually just occured to me..

I don't think I have ever seen a

" Crop Square "

or

"Crop Triangle "

Just ....

" Crop Circles "

Maybe its got something to do with Muslims ?

Maybe its a plot !

After all hands up any one who's seen a

" Crop Mona Lisa "

or a

"Crop Vincent Van Gogh "

" The truth is out there "

Ps personally, I think it's a bunch of human- time travelling art school students who come back to the past ( against federation laws ) to create " installation " art in our wheat fields.

• Reply 16 of 33
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Me and two of my friends were thinking about making one in the town we live in, it's a small town full of rednecks, so it would be fun. Only problem is I'm sure it would go unnoticed since planes barely ever go over the town and the tallest building in town is a factory with three floors, the top one not used, and after that the school, which has two stories.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

that is essentially correct. they had a program on Discovery about it. something along the lines of a specific wind/tide combination would also empty one of the reed seas, and when the two were no longer in conjunction, the water comes rushing back in a hugely destructive wave.

interesting stuff. one of those shows that tries to find out if old stories could be true of if they're impossible.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Crop circles = 3 people with boards and ropes. Best world wide prank ever.

Oh yeah, I don't believe in aliens... I wish they were real, but seriously. No physical evidence or conclusive proof yet. And why, just why, would the big bad government hide their prescence from us? Bullshit.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    well remember some scientists found unusually high radiation at these things. I think there is some kind of wierd fluke of nature that we don't know about. Think about it if you blow up a snow crystal you'll see an intricate delicate pattern and swear it had to be man made... maybe something along those lines?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

well remember some scientists found unusually high radiation at these things. I think there is some kind of wierd fluke of nature that we don't know about. Think about it if you blow up a snow crystal you'll see an intricate delicate pattern and swear it had to be man made... maybe something along those lines?

Do you know that for a fact or has some website fooled you with pictures that they say are from these crop circles and "say" that "scientists" found this strange evidence?

Do you buy the deception they pour out in other words without looking into what they claim???

Fellowship