School rejects free computers because they are Macs!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A teacher put in for a grant to get $43,000 worth of Macs and won. He can't have them becuase his school district only wants to provide technical support for PCs.

So f*cked up.

I know there are other financial considerations but it just sounds unbelievable that they can't hire one person who knows PCs and Macs.

http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P1211_0_1_0

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robby

A teacher put in for a grant to get $43,000 worth of Macs and won. He can't have them becuase his school district only wants to provide technical support for PCs.

So f*cked up.

I know there are other financial considerations but it just sounds unbelievable that they can't hire one person who knows PCs and Macs.

http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P1211_0_1_0

Another classic example of intelligence being cut off at the knees...

Re technical support..tell them that Macs come with "Free" technical support 24 hours a day..especially so for " education sector " sheesh !

\
  • Reply 2 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I can virtually guarantee that this is a union issue, ed bureacracies are notoriously inefficient and territorial. And it might also be a M$ legal issue, many school boards have signed contracts, or it is given in their site licences, that they have to pay M$ tax on every machine in the school board, whether it runs windows or not. And, I have heard M$ can get particularly stingy on this count.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Just one more thing. I know a young a teacher who managed to get a FREE lab for his school (about a dozen computers), a mix of new, used and donated computers, and since he knew enough to keep them running on his own, even offered to administer them for the school. The principal/super nearly had a heart attack, NO WAY, rather than be rewarded, he was chastized for overstepping a gazillion channels.

Another school I know of had a lab entirely donated and a teacher and principal who conspired to keep it running without ANY board approval. They took the computers (ancient) that were in the lab and distributed them through the classes, hooked up the new machines some of their own wiring iwhere the offical lab used to be, and have been playing cat and mouse with the board ever since.

Note to Apple, this is the situation into which you are selling computers for education. We cannot afford to buy 799USD CRT based machines, some schools have resorted to rogue lab installations just to get passable decent machines, and EVERYTHING gets recycled. I've seen more ancient Apple laser printers than powermacs in the schools I've been in, and 14/15" monitors too, hint hint.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, if they need someone who can service macs, say, in a couple months, i know someone who'll be free and loking for work...

• Reply 5 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ok the article is a little off. Tukwila is not upper class but it's not poor. At any rate though it's pretty silly to claim to be an educator yet offer a monolithic view of computing.

<sigh> when can we get a Voucher system so I can send my Son to a decent school when the time comes. I have to give a vote of no confidence for Public Schools. This article makes me embarrased to be a Washingtonian
  • Reply 6 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    they're going to get royally reamed tonight at their board meeting i can promise you. parents are going to be irate, and i don't blame them.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    There was a time when American Education was considered the model by which all other countries measured themselves....

Sad to say, most educators now look upon US education as the way NOT to go...

And more often than not they ask themselves ..

How did the richest country in the world get to have such a poor education system?

\
  • Reply 8 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    we have idiots in charge?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Just one more thing. I know a young a teacher who managed to get a FREE lab for his school (about a dozen computers), a mix of new, used and donated computers, and since he knew enough to keep them running on his own, even offered to administer them for the school. The principal/super nearly had a heart attack, NO WAY, rather than be rewarded, he was chastized for overstepping a gazillion channels.

Another school I know of had a lab entirely donated and a teacher and principal who conspired to keep it running without ANY board approval. They took the computers (ancient) that were in the lab and distributed them through the classes, hooked up the new machines some of their own wiring iwhere the offical lab used to be, and have been playing cat and mouse with the board ever since.

Note to Apple, this is the situation into which you are selling computers for education. We cannot afford to buy 799USD CRT based machines, some schools have resorted to rogue lab installations just to get passable decent machines, and EVERYTHING gets recycled. I've seen more ancient Apple laser printers than powermacs in the schools I've been in, and 14/15" monitors too, hint hint.

price is far from the big issue, in fact, price isnt much of an issue at all.

It's the theory that kids should "work on what they will use in the work-place" that is killing Apple in education.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

How did the richest country in the world get to have such a poor education system?

Actually, I hear the schools in Luxembourg are pretty good.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    NO, price is a huge issue, I've seen equipment that would make you cry and scratch your head as to it's age, it's so damned old and buggy. The "windows workplace" issue is another one, but it's forced more by an IT level more interested in their own convenience, and windows licensing practice
  • Reply 12 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ok the article is a little off. Tukwila is not upper class but it's not poor. At any rate though it's pretty silly to claim to be an educator yet offer a monolithic view of computing.

<sigh> when can we get a Voucher system so I can send my Son to a decent school when the time comes. I have to give a vote of no confidence for Public Schools. This article makes me embarrased to be a Washingtonian

You think it's bad in Washington? In the Bay Area(and a lot of Calif), the districts are so far in debt(mine owes 3mil), that they can't afford anything because the stinkin' Union teachers won't allow any teacher cuts, so everything else gets cut, meaning we ain't got no paper.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

NO, price is a huge issue, I've seen equipment that would make you cry and scratch your head as to it's age, it's so damned old and buggy. The "windows workplace" issue is another one, but it's forced more by an IT level more interested in their own convenience, and windows licensing practice

Isn't that the point of this discussion. These computers would be FREE...as in "Free Beer". There is NO freakin' excuse for this. I'd like to think my child will experience different points of views on just about everything. You can't be "well rounded" looking only one facet. I advocate schools "adding" platforms rather than reducing them.

I can see that with my child I will have to "deprogram" alot of their crap. I don't agree with their mentality
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ?School rejects free computers because they are Macs!?

The nec plus ultra of idiocy.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I'll agree that IT would bann some machines simply for not being windows, but there's more to it than that, I've seen free computers turned down because they didn't come from "the board" and they were windows machines. The bureacracy is more fvcked up than you can imagine. I've even seen a few tech savvy teacherd warned of fixing their own machines.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I know three teachers, one administrator and one lady who works at the school board. EVERY ONE OF THEM relate nothing but tales of bureaucracy run amok, arrogance among the upper admins, stupid-ass inefficient decisions on nearly every single topic or issue, wasted money, shady under-the-table deals and back-scratching, having their hands tied and not being allowed to do the smart/right/logical/sensible thing when it comes to doing their jobs.

In matters of budget, curiculum (haha...did I spell that right?), programs, staffing, supplies, etc., NOTHING works the way it should. Money is in perpetual short supply, yet the money they DO have is wasted and pissed away on the goofiest, most meaningless stuff.

And administrator/upper management salaries, of course.

\

Just like the government. I worked in that for nearly 7 years and I'll never do it again. All the incentives are to waste, fritter away resources (so you get more next year...hopefully). You aren't rewarded for "thinking different", trying to save money and resources or coming up with better, more efficient ways of doing things.

You're expected to be a quiet, complacent cog-in-the-wheel and just go with the flow and accept all the rampant stupidity, waste and inefficiency you're surrounded with every day.

Screw that. Life's too short!

I'll never work for The Man again. Ever.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Self-serving IT numbnuts working for self-serving school bureaucrats-nothing good can come of it.

IT should not be making computer purchasing decisions. They don't decide what textbooks the schools use, so why should they decide what computers?

What if we let the guy who cleans the cages at the circus pick the animals? We'd have a lot fewer elephants, wouldn't we?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Allll the way up...

Add to that one of the laziest, most impatient generations ever growing up. I fear for our workforce in the next ten years... its going to be scary.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    what you guys could do is organize & offer free support

if its in your area & you are technically capable

thats one way to get your os adopted in a school

people do that for linux & bsd & it does it adopted

to a certain extent.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Actually, I hear the schools in Luxembourg are pretty good.

...good one