AI gets in on the action

Comments

• Reply 301 of 375
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Its supposed to be bad!

its cheesey pulp fiction. maybe its a language thing. i thought it was hilarious. does it confirm or deny anything. nope. is it food for thought. yep. it was written that way to skirt a c&d.

I sense a new rumor site on the horizon ...

... MacFiction!

• Reply 302 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

The base is not wide or heavy enough to secure it to the desk.

Well it would be......if it weren't made of unobtainium
  • Reply 303 of 375
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

Still says "Same day" when I try it

The dualies are 2-3 weeeks; the single Ghzes are same day.
  • Reply 304 of 375
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I liked it.

I found it pretty entertaining

The front page story reminds me of something I wrote a long time ago... http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...apples+secrets
  • Reply 305 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

And if Apple actually intends to go head-to-head with MS Office after all these years. Version 1.0 had better be very, very, good.

Competing with Office has always been a direct assault on Redmond. And they will respond accordingly.

Perhaps it's more a response to a Microsoft move than a provocation. MS won the antitrust case, GW is cruising to reelection, and 5 years is a loooong time in software years. While the Cat's away (or disinterested in mouse catching)......

Gee, it's been a while since IE Mac has been updated and now they've said they aren't working on any stand alone versons of IE, hmmm..... Haven't heard much of new Office development recently, hmmm.... In the midst of a lousy economy where no one expects tech spending to increase dramatically (and it has actually been contracting) Apple is spending money to develop and market Keynote competing ith an established market leader, hmmm...
  • Reply 306 of 375
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Well, from the 'G5' to the iOffice suite to Safari. If Apple don't compete...if other people don't compete with M$ then they'll go out of business.

I think it's good for Apple to aggressivly ramp up software products. Apple do great software. It's why people prefer Macs.

We just need a great cpu to show it off.

AI's story augers well.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 307 of 375
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

"...You hear they are moving File Maker back in-house?"

Thank-frikkin-gawd!

Filemaker used to be the shiznit back when I sold Macs for a living (or, more accurately, an air-quote living). Lots of people loved Filemaker.

Ever since they spun it off, it's just been plain old shiznit.

I frankly haven't kept up with it in the past few years. But for those more in the know thatn me, how difficult/desirable would it be to have Filemaker be a combo speadsheet and db app, as part of MacOffice (TM)? Should it be a "combo" app, or should Apple create a new one from scratch?

So would it look like this?

AppleOffice Suite

- Document (Word processing)

- Mail (duh)

- Filemaker (DB...+ spreadsheet?)

- iSpread (spreadsheet if necessary)

- Keynote (duh)

- iCal (duh)

- iChat ("no techies required" videoconferencing)

- Address Book (duh)

- Safari (duh)

- Quicktime Pro (just for the hell of it, and so that annoying upgrade message doesn't pester employees...or just remove the pop-up from the non-pro version)

Note that the only thing missing is the word processing and spreadsheet bits (they are the most important too).

Of course, it would have to be perfectly/seemlessly compatible with MS Office (particularly Document and the spreadsheet app; keynote already is). Have a preference where documents can be saved as MS Word docs by default. It would also have to come close to MS Office's functionality (though Word has a lot of crap that 99% of users don't use or even know about), and exceed its usability.

BTW, on the subject. If Apple really wants to kill MS... give AppleOffice (or whatever it ends up being called) away on all new computers. Sell it retail for $149. Upgrades for free... $49 if necessary ($19 education/bulk). Sell 10-user licenses for $499; unlimited licenses for $999 (isn't that like OS X Server?). Make it irresistable! (particularly in this economy).

On top of that, since WWDC is a developer conference, make it open-source (or at least parts). Contribute it to OpenOffice...or as an alternative...whatever. Duplicate the success with Safari. Also, Apple will want to avoid the security/backdoor problems with MSOffice, along with the "monopoly" accusation (that it's just replacing MS's monopoly). Opensourcing it will help with both problems. The point is to make AppleOffice a vehicle for gaining marketshare and shielding Apple from MS's wrath/BS, not to necessarily make it a cashcow in and of itself.

A gamble? Yes, certainly.

What does Apple have to lose? Not much. Maybe a few million bucks. (It can't lose much more marketshare. )

What does Apple have to gain? Marketshare. Customers. Money. Bragging-rights. Respect.

..Oh...um, since this is FutureHardware, um... make a version available with one of those neato, slim Apple FireWire cameras that connect to those neato new Apple monitors with the USB and FireWire ports. \
  • Reply 308 of 375
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Well, from the 'G5' to the iOffice suite to Safari. If Apple don't compete...if other people don't compete with M$ then they'll go out of business.

I think it's good for Apple to aggressivly ramp up software products. Apple do great software. It's why people prefer Macs.

We just need a great cpu to show it off.

AI's story augers well.

Lemon Bon Bon

I think Office suites are looking old, and out dated. Keynote was a great fresh look at an office presentation application, and Apple should take refreshing aggressive assault on Office suites. This area in particular would get noticed by all. - I'm not saying this for my own use, but more so to show what Apple is capable of in software innovation, and originality. This coupled with industry shaking competitive hardware (in Speeds) would be an aggressive push that is enough to jump-start the Switchers campaign and get people to take a closer look at Apples i-Suites, and Pro Apps that Apple already has that we are totally aware of, that have been overlooked because Apple is thought of as a Hardware design innovator, but not really a competitor in because of the speed factor.

A few new unseen products (like a Tablet) through out the year, and AAPL will go through the roof.

Now that is my highest fantasy prediction, and the direction I would gone with Apple had I been CEO.

Use the force. Project your thoughts to those in need of inspiration.
  • Reply 309 of 375
    Quote:

(It can't lose much more marketshare. )

DCQ, great post. But true.

M$ is looking very dated. And Apple have shown the road to a more innovative 'Office' suite of the future. Keynote looks a whole couple of generations ahead of the 'basic' Powerpoint. Safari makes IE look cluttered and dull. A video conferencing iapp as part of a comprehensive iCal, Document, Filemaker, Keynote et al could really give M$ some competition. What are M$ going to do? Withdraw IE? Well, they're talking about that anyhow. Cancel Office? Well, they said they'd do another version or so. That gives Apple plenty of time to not only bundle what they have but add to the bundle and sell it cheap or give it away free to those 1% of Mac folks that don't use their Macs for creative work.

It's obvious to me that Apple are going to apply the same innovation to software as they have hardware design and 'beyond the box' ala iPod and iTunes Music Store. And that those strategies aren't limited to the Mac platform. Apple aint running scared anymore. Nor should they or would they with Jobs at the helm. No giving away the OS 'look and feel' on his watch...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 310 of 375
    Quote:

A few new unseen products (like a Tablet) through out the year, and AAPL will go through the roof.

Hmmm. All Apple need is a truly 'critical mass' doo-dad.

I'm not sure the iPod is it.

Do I think Apple can make it? Yes. I'm sure they've got some cool gadjet up their sleeves...another beyond the box DLD. What it is...I'm not sure. But I'd have thought some sort of 'tablet' type of thing to bring together a 'relaxed' appreciation of the 'hub' content. Working with the tv/computer/net access. A content viewer without a keyboard. Maybe just a stylus? The iPod is 'just a walkman'. But it is the way Apple brings it all together that surpasses all those other '21st Century' Walkmans. Apple may say: 'No tablet' but it maybe something that circumvents the limitations of PDA/current Tablets. We'll have to see. It'll be the 'same' yet typical Apple different. Though Apple still seem to think computers are it, apart from the iPod...

Perhaps the iTunes Music Store could really get the iPod moving when the store hits Wintel. I don't see Apple waiting for M$ to get there first. This is Apple's chance to print some free money. Heck, those servers should be doing something other than giving .Mac users down time...

Apple's ability to redefine itself under this new management gives me hope Apple will prevail.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 311 of 375
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

Well it would be......if it weren't made of unobtainium

Found a few pics, for that applle.com site (IIRC but can't connect. anyone know the url?)

Now those could work, the bases look heavy and solid enough to balance the weight.
  • Reply 312 of 375
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    KidRed,

That first one looks more like a desklamp than my iMac.
  • Reply 313 of 375
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

This is why writing should be left to the pros:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=115

It's like every Mac rumor ever discussed in the last 12 months wrapped up in the 'I got my Apple friend drunk the other night...' and submitted to Bulwer-Lytton. If anything in this trainwreck of innuendo proves to be true it will be purely coincidental.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I so WholeHEARTEDly agree!
  • Reply 314 of 375
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I also agree, I'm sorry to say. That was pretty bad, not funny, and they're delusional if they think that putting rumors in story terms somehow makes it safe from Apple legal.

That's a separate question, however, from how accurate the predictions are.

And just to throw a wrench in things, Appleturns (the only site that does a good job of mixing humor and rumor) is saying that the G5 will not be ready for WWDC.
  • Reply 315 of 375
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    hopefully

"will not be ready"

and

"will not be ready to ship"

are 2 diff things.
  • Reply 316 of 375
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    actually... that's not what they said...

"Meanwhile, we're hearing the faintest rumblings that the Power Mac G5 may actually not be ready for a WWDC introduction after all. We're not putting a whole lot of stock in said rumblings just yet, but we mention them anyway for the cautious souls among you who choose to temper your enthusiasm with a hefty dose of skepticism. 'Nuff said."
  • Reply 317 of 375
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    As for the swiveling monitors, you could have a base w/ a counter wieght inside. Think of a circle base that's an inch high. Inside the base is a semi-circle counter weight that's on the opposite site the monitor is. When you rotate the monitor around, the counterweight inside the base moves with it, keeping the monitor balanced at all times, regardless of position. Since it's inside the base, you don't even know it's there (except that it would add alot of weight to the overall monitor). That kind of setup could work really well.
  • Reply 318 of 375
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Yeah, a nice big number that means absolutely nothing. 970 as opposed to what, 870? It's an internal IBM code name that has absolutley ZERO marketing value. Carrying the engineering code name through as the actual retail product name is the brain dead domain of Wintel manufacturers.

"Hi, I'd like to buy a PC."

"Sure, would you like the HP a250y, or the Compaq S4000NX, or maybe a VAIO GRX700?"

Actually, HP uses actual words for its codenames. Stuff like "Tornado" and "NetChevy" (don't ask about that last one, it was a long time ago.).
  • Reply 319 of 375
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

And just to throw a wrench in things, Appleturns (the only site that does a good job of mixing humor and rumor) is saying that the G5 will not be ready for WWDC.

Oh puh-lease, they still use os9. don't you understand? they're denying it because they'll freak out when they'll finally have to upgrade to osX. they are emotionally stuck in the nineties...

(there is no G5, there is no G5, there is no G5, there is no G5, there is no G5, there is no G5, there is no G5... pleeeeeaaaaaaaaase move along)

btw very off topic but what happend to ting5?
  • Reply 320 of 375
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

Hmm, I guess G5 it is...(Much to my disgust) but they really do need to 'sexify' the name... We need an add on bit at the end or something...

We've done Xtreme and all that, we need something more aggressive, more kick ass, something that will strike fear into the hearts of the general population, hell even into us, part of the '112 Brotherhood'...

Like Motorbikes.

Would the Honda CBR900RR be anything without it's moniker 'Fireblade'?

The Suzuki GSX1300R sounds crap, but if say 'Hayabusa'... Hmmm, it gets infinitely better.

Kawasaki ZX6-R, Hmm, lacking. Ninja! Muhahaha!

Heck, lets put a spoiler on the box, we're sure to get more ghz then!