Reproductive rates

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't remember who mentioned this a while ago but someone mused as to why reproductive rates in first world countries have dropped significantly compared to the third world. Well, ran across this in a bbc science article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2978454.stm

Quote:

Interestingly, studies have shown that when species with high reproductive rates and short lifespans are placed in an environment with no predators, their reproductive rates fall - and their natural lifespans extend.

Hmm, could perhaps the predation in third world countries be hunger and disease? If such an interpretation of predation was accurate, this could explain the disparity in birth rates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I don't remember who mentioned this a while ago but someone mused as to why reproductive rates in first world countries have dropped significantly compared to the third world. Well, ran across this in a bbc science article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2978454.stm

Hmm, could perhaps the predation in third world countries be hunger and disease? If such an interpretation of predation was accurate, this could explain the disparity in birth rates.

Mein Gott Herr BR. !

I beleevz yu haz acidentlee shtumbulled agross zee secret rezeerch veapon zat zee Geermanz ( zee marster race ) iz yoozing to clonze zee superduper humanz wit und longgeer lasting battery LIfe unzee speriour Brainz..Ya !
  • Reply 2 of 3
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

A study just published in a Royal Society journal is strong evidence to support the theory which says that women who have many offspring sacrifice longevity in the process.

Researchers believe that bearing children uses up valuable energy, which would otherwise be used to repair cells and slow down the ageing process - the so-called "disposable soma" theory. [...]

[...]When all this was taken into account, the scientists found that early death was a third more likely among women who had eight or more children compared with those who had only two.[...]

[...]"It supports the theory that if you devote energy to child-bearing, you damage the future of your own body."

If a woman has had "eight or more" children, she has probably already reached middle age, so she'll live longer anyway e.g. compared to those who die under 10 or at 20 etc.

I think the study shows that if a woman does nothing but reproduce herself, she destroys and shortens her life. What a discovery.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    hmm, you know I just got the idea that the world just might not be flat...