Anyone Surprised by the amount of "RUMORS"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't think I've ever seen so many rumors so early and so widely reported by various sites.

Its odd...has Apple finaly lost control? Are these leaks strategic marketing hype?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

. . . Are these leaks strategic marketing hype?

Could be. Maybe Apple finally realizes that the rumors and speculation can not be stopped, and have decided to make it work for them. A few could be official Apple leaks to heighten interest in WWDC.

Near the end of last year everyone already figured out that new 64 bit Power Macs were coming. Within hours of when IBM announced the 970 topic on the Microprocessor Forum it was all over the rumor sites. If everyone already knows, why not use leaks for marketing?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think rumors always pop up close to steve-notes, or atleast it seems like that in the passed (maybe i just get more into seeking out rumors around stevenotes; but i digress). real information is also more likely to popup too, so it makes it tougher to discern fact from fiction.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't really think that these rumors are purposely leaked by Apple. They don't want to jeopardize sales by making people think that something huge is coming.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [grumpy old man] You kids have it easy. Back in MY day..... [/grumpy old man]

Honestly, it ain't nearly as bad is has been in the past.

Remember all the stuff before the G4 PMs came out? Before the Cube? Mercury Rising? Oy. This is a cake-walk.

The last huge rumor period happened before the recent G4 iMacs -- and that was only because Apple egged everyone on. I still have to laugh about how pissed off some people around here were about that.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I was thinking about this the other day, well, kinda this. I thought about how some of these details were fairly specific, even into stuff that we wouldn't really care too much about. More than just the vague half-rumors we usually see. Then I thought about when they hyped MacWorld with the "Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond" banners and a lot of people were upset when all it was was the G4 iMac. It was really impressive and all but a lot of people had already seen mock ups floating around places like here that looked almost identical to it. I then thought about how insane a marketing plow it would be to not really hype it to the consumers at all, but let out a bunch of leaks, not act on them at all, and let people hype themselves. I don't think Apple's "out there" enough to actually do this, but I did think about it.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Its odd...has Apple finaly lost control?

No, strangely enough Panther is pretty much a complete mystery. Knowing that it is going to be a 64-bit OS in some form does not really count as advanced knowledge.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    How about all those Register articles about a G5 PowerMac two summers ago before MWNY '01?!?

And then MWSF 02 "Beyond the Rumor sites... way beyond"?!?

This ain't nothin'!

Edit: Wow, that's odd... iBrowse and cowerd's posts just showed up after I posted this message, so I suppose it echoes a lot of what they said. Oh well.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

has Apple finaly lost control?

No. They've never been so tight-lipped as now. Panther is really a good example. What confuses you is not rumours, but rather a wild speculation backed up only by claiming this is an inside info. Some 'sources' even don't bother to read any technical papers on the subject. When you make something up and want people to believe it, you have to know the subject. Otherwise, it's fantasy (as in unrestrained fancy).

What do we really know?

1. PPC 970 and new motherboards in new Macs.

2. Mac OS 10.3 aka Panther in September. By the way, it is not even a rumour.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I have to disagree. I've been around for mercury rising and g4 imacs and frankly no one expected the imacs to be g4s. I remember that long ass thread about mercury rising and all those g5 rumors years ago and none of it was as widespread as this. As for the iwalk....please that was a joke. I'm not saying we never had info like this prior to a steve note what i'm saying is we never had it so early and so vastly reported on rumor sites AND mainstream media.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    As I recall quited a few people expected G4 iMacs.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The fact that there are no real confirmations of anything, certainly no screenshots, leaks photos, etc. tells me they've done quite a job keeping a lid on things. MWSF 2002 (the new iMac one) seemed pretty over-the-top with speculation, but no real leaks, at least until Time Canada FUBARed the intro.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    With the G4 iMacs, people had suggested them, and there was a few mock ups of them that were pretty close. But some of the rumors about them did say they would be G3's. They've been really good keeping in photos recently, because I remember seeing pictures leaked of almost every bit of hardware except the 12" and 17" powerbooks, G4 iMacs, and the eMac leaked in the last few years. I'm pretty sure most of the PowerMac's were leaked a day or so before they were introduced. The only recent thing that has been expected for a bit before it was introduced was the music store really.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Mercury Rising, why does that ring a bell?

• Reply 14 of 14
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Mercury Rising, why does that ring a bell?

wow, i had forgotten about that thread. wasn't that thing like 40 pages long?