in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
www.macrumors.com

Quote:

Approved/Edited by arn on Wednesday June 11, 2003 01:00 PM

from the rumors dept.

\t

The New York Post
claims Apple's iTunes for Windows project is due sooner than previous expected:

Apple is developoing [sic] a PC/Windows Media version of iTunes, which the company plans to have ready by the end of the month.

iTunes for Windows was said to be due by year's end according to Steve Jobs at the April 28th Special Event introducing the iTunes Music Service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That indeed would rock, and would open up millions of dollars in revenue.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Do I get it free? I don't want to put music match on my other PC. ITunes release me!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    I doubt it will appear by the end of this month. Apple just again posted another opening for a software engineer to implement iTunes for Windows.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    It's the New York Post. They're garbage.

I'm willing to put money on this being sloppy journalism (hell, it's the Post) -- they meant to say "end of the year" instead of "end of the month."

If you're in the general NY region, I'm sure I don't need to reiterate what a heap of pre-soiled toilet paper the Post is.

Thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    In addition, the month is about half over and that means that Apple has 1/2 a month to get the rest of the big 5 to sign windows iMS contracts. I doubt this would be possible since most of the big 5 still sees the Mac iMS as an experiment that has not yet reached conclusion. Sorry to dash anyones hopes, it just does not make logical sense to me. But hey if it happens more power to them.

A@ron
  • Reply 6 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    story has been changed back to before the end of the year (not the end of the month)...nothing new here folks (sadly)...

g
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonSense

I'm willing to put money on this being sloppy journalism (hell, it's the Post) -- they meant to say "end of the year" instead of "end of the month."

I hope it is a typo. I alredy have $5 in the line.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Do I get it free? I don't want to put music match on my other PC. ITunes release me!

It will certainly be interesting to see how/if they charge for it. On one hand it is such a good app they might only supply it with iPod's and then make it available for purchase seperately. On the other hand is the Music Store which will no doubt generate $'s especially if iTunes is a free download...

WM
  • Reply 9 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    charge $5 get 5 free downloads, charge $10 get one free album, free with iPods, but no songs... at least thats how it should be anyway...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

charge $5 get 5 free downloads, charge $10 get one free album, free with iPods, but no songs... at least thats how it should be anyway...

There is a difference between free and 'plausibly' free. It would be very shortsighted of Apple to penalize possible iTunes for Windows users. It's a Trojan Horse...Apple's using a piece of software to gain mindshare in hopes that people will eventually make the jump to Apple hardware.

The original Trojan Horse was a gift...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The article in the NY Post is wrong. iTMS is based on Quicktime and AAC and is not going to be based on Windows Media for the PC version. Apple said "by the end of the year" and they have not indicated that it would be earlier.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I don't know... I remember Fran441 saying he saw a sign at the Apple store that said "iTMS coming this June". Here's what he wrote:

Quote:

I was at the Salem, NH Apple Store this morning to get my PowerBook G4's power adapter replaced (it blew out last night). I also bought a new power adapter as a backup, just because it's worth the $80 to have an extra one.

The store had one new iPod in the window which was functional and they let me play around with the interface for a while. No ear buds or dock, but it still looks cool. They also say they will be blowing out the stock of the old 20 GB iPods if you don't mind the old design.

Also, they had a sign saying "iTunes for Windows, coming this June" to plug the Apple Music store. Very interesting.

• Reply 13 of 15
    They should call it WindTunes, or Super Internet Tunes MusicBox Plus/Pro/Max when they port it.

EDIT: I meant WinTunes, not? no, wait. leave the d in there.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    How about "itunes:wintel". Then they can put it in a weird round package and sell it by the boatload.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

How about "itunes:wintel". Then they can put it in a weird round package and sell it by the boatload.

The tables have turned!