eWeek article on Smeagol and Q37

Comments

• Reply 81 of 401
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I would just love to see a commercial where Smeagol (Panther beta) turns into Gollum (Panther Gold) and releases our heroic hobbits from the clutches of Mordorolla.*

Just think if they really convinced Peter Jackson to do some TV spots using Gollum cgi running on 970 ported Shake! It would also make for one awesome and well-timed Superbowl commercial after Return of the King opens.

*"Mordorolla" came from a thread on Ars.
  • Reply 82 of 401
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

And there are multiple points of view on any issue: oil infrastructure has greater military and economic value than the contents of a museum, and is typically located in non-urban environments and thus more easily defended against paramilitary activity. Either way, this isn't the place for this discussion.

Sigh. It's a good job I'm not a moderator, Programmer, otherwise I'd be hoiking yer bum over to General Discussion...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 83 of 401
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quick question, LBB: What did your post (and posts like it) add to this thread?

I don't want to see any political posts below this line:

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • Reply 84 of 401
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I would just love to see a commercial where Smeagol (Panther beta) turns into Gollum (Panther Gold) and releases our heroic hobbits from the clutches of Mordorolla.*

Just think if they really convinced Peter Jackson to do some TV spots using Gollum cgi running on 970 ported Shake! It would also make for one awesome and well-timed Superbowl commercial after Return of the King opens.

*"Mordorolla" came from a thread on Ars.

Mordorolla. I love it!
  • Reply 85 of 401
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Anyway, I am pretty sure if you posted some meaty hints as to what we might expect on June 23, that would pretty much take over all the threads here.

okay. The eWeek article has more manure in it than a cow field. Don't believe the hype.
  • Reply 86 of 401
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Sigh. It's a good job I'm not a moderator, Programmer, otherwise I'd be hoiking yer bum over to General Discussion...

Lemon Bon Bon

You're just out to get me, aren't ya LBB? Got a vendetta happenin' or somethin', don't ya?
  • Reply 87 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

okay. The eWeek article has more manure in it than a cow field. Don't believe the hype.

Aw man, are you going to make me go and read that article now? Geez.

Hmmm... "hype"? What hype? There's nothing in there that made me even blink ("at least" comparable performance to G4, need to recompile with GCC 3.2, some mysterious bus codenamed ApplePI, hardware out before Panther... what hype?)... be more precise moki, you're just making the muck in the field worse.
  • Reply 88 of 401
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 89 of 401
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Hmmm... "hype"? What hype? There's nothing in there that made me even blink ("at least" comparable performance to G4, need to recompile with GCC 3.2, some mysterious bus codenamed ApplePI, hardware out before Panther... what hype?)... be more precise moki, you're just making the muck in the field worse.

Let's put it this way -- there is very little in that article that is true. We're seeing this a lot in the various rumour sites... rumours get repeated enough, and people believe that they are true.
  • Reply 90 of 401
    Quote:

Let's put it this way -- there is very little in that article that is true. We're seeing this a lot in the various rumour sites... rumours get repeated enough, and people believe that they are true.

Hmmm... okay...

1 ) Is there a PowerPC 970? Yes.

2 ) Will Apple use it? You yourself have implied that for over a year.

3 ) Will it happen soon? Within a couple of months seems doable.

4 ) Will WWDC demonstrate new hardware? In some form I expect it will, even if it isn't a product demonstration.

5 ) Will the 970 be at least as fast as the G4? Darn right it will.

6 ) Is there a bus codenamed ApplePI? Who cares.

7 ) Will there be a GCC 3.3 that includes a new instruction scheduler for the 970? Yep.

8 ) Will Panther contain 64-bit support? Hope so although it may not update all APIs to full 64-bit compliance.

The article didn't say much else, did it? Can you list the item numbers which are completely bogus?

Thanks Moki, I knew I could count on you.
  • Reply 91 of 401
    Quote:

So you're saying no PPC970 machines announced at WWDC.
  • Reply 92 of 401
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i think he's saying yes but in his opinion, the specs are being underestimated?
  • Reply 93 of 401
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i wish moki would throw bigger bones!
  • Reply 94 of 401
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yea Moki, clear up some manure for us, we're tired or stepping in it.
  • Reply 95 of 401
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

i wish moki would throw bigger bones!

dang....my eyes really misread that statement...had to re-read it three times...somehow my brain (the first two times) substituted "grow" for "throw" and thought, "dang, isn't a rather personal comment to be making on these boards"

g
  • Reply 96 of 401
    Quote:

Thank you for your cooperation.

I don't do politics, Amorph. They belong in General Discussion.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 97 of 401
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I don't do politics, Amorph. They belong in General Discussion.

Lemon Bon Bon

actually politics belongs in AO

g
  • Reply 98 of 401
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

dang....my eyes really misread that statement...had to re-read it three times...somehow my brain (the first two times) substituted "grow" for "throw" and thought, "dang, isn't a rather personal comment to be making on these boards"

g

hahahhahahhaaa...

i didn't want that kind of insider information!
  • Reply 99 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

g

Crap, just had my drink spout out my nose I laughed so hard....

Quote:

Actually, there is a lot of info in the article. Maybe the speed of the 970 compared to the G4? The single 970 as opposed to dual? Smeagol and Q37 code names? Etc...Normally Mathew R is pretty good, but Moki is also very trustworthy... hmmmm, who to believe?
  • Reply 100 of 401
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

You're just out to get me, aren't ya LBB? Got a vendetta happenin' or somethin', don't ya?

I've only got a vendetta against Lemon Squeezers...

(Only gently pulling yer 'chain' for the two 'general comments' you've made of late. It's all I could find on an otherwise exemplary 'on-topic' track record. I guess you're right. I haven't seen that side to you before... But, I actually like it!

As for comments that 'contribute' to the actual thread. Dunno. The eWeek story is what? An interpretation? A journalistic slant? Y'know, there's a distinct negative/subdued tone to the eWeek story and many of the threads all of a sudden. Yet the Register story was different in feel again...working from the same source/info'? The 970 will come out. Won't be optimised until Panther. Er. Okay. But would I like huge bandwidth with Altivec and a higher mhz/performing computer with a cool new case in the meantime? Yes please.

Guess it's down to expectations. The 'G5' has taken on an almost 'saviour complex' to Mac folk. And given Moto's best efforts, who can blame them? The general belief is twice as fast...and if it doesn't do that people will be disappointed? But say it didn't right out the gates, I doubt Apple would release the 970 machines if performance was 'THAT' bad. So we get the rest in Sept's Panther release. What do we get in the meantime? 50%? 100% over a G4? 150%? 200%? Are any of those bad? That's better than several bumps of 5% here or 10% there with several 'Athlon'/Intel cpus? Surely even 50% would be a distinct improvement? But I'm betting it's going to be alot more than that.

And it was like that in the press before 'X' got Photoshop...then like that before we got Quark 6. Now Quark 6 is imminent what will the Mac press whine about? (In fact, when the 970 hits I won't be able to whine about the G4 anymore.)

I may retire to a Jellyfish colony and spit pips at the natives from my throne of pancakes...cooked nicely from the heat of a dual 2.2 gig 970 Whoo-hoo!

Lemon Bon Bon