You do know that you will pay for the 64 bit OS X,, right?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Uhh, this may be a bit radical, but . . .

How do any of us KNOW that 10.3 will cost anything? What happened to the "every other release is free" theory?

(OK, yes, there's a reasonable chance that it will cost something. But my point is . . . why are we all just automatically ASSUMING it will?)
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonSense

why are we all just automatically ASSUMING it will?)

There's an old saying from where I come that I like to follow:

"Hope for the best. Be prepared for the worst."

When dealing with Apple, I find you must do the latter else suffer disappointment at your own fault.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The every-other release is free theory is bunk. Major releases, aka a full point one for OS X, will cost the full price. People get thrown because they look to the Classic Mac OS for precedence, but this is not OS 9 or before; follow NeXTstep's and OpenStep's numbering schemes. Besides, Apple didn't folow any particular system for version numbers before OS X anyway, just look at the weird release names during the System 7 days, and at how OS 9 was going to be OS 8.7 until they needed to put something between 8 and X (10).
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The every-other release is free theory is bunk. Major releases, aka a full point one for OS X, will cost the full price.

You mean like 10.1?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonSense

You mean like 10.1?

Strictly an exception, a one-time deal only due only to the state of 10.0, unless of course you think 10.2 is that, uh, let's say "fresh."
  • Reply 26 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm eligible for the student discount so I'll probably wind up paying $69 like I did for Jaguar. On the other hand if I can scrape up the bucks for a new tower I may do that instead.