The state of the Superdrive

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have a question to anyone in the know. From what I have been told the superdrives in desktop-machines support both CD-RW and DVD-RW assuming you use a non-Apple program such as Toast.

When do you think the DVD-RW feature will be available in the much smaller superdrives of the Powerbooks?

I assume that the reason why Apple has been crippling the desktop superdrives is because the laptop ones don't have the feature yet, and thus don't wan't to create confusion by stating that one superdrive has DVD-RW and another just has DVD-R. I hope that the next generation brings not only DVD-RW but also DVD+RW to the table. Who makes the slim superdrives that reside in the Powerbooks and why haven't said features been incorporated? Seeing as how PC-laptops have the DVD-RW and possibly even the DVD+RW function by now. I'd be grateful for some insight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    DVD-RW and DVD+RW are totally different formats, but you can read DVD+RW on a superdrive.

My SuperDrive on my PowerMac Does write to DVD-RW. So I have no idea what you mean by crippling???

There is a DVD-RW/DVD+RW capable drive made by someone other than Pioneer, but from what I've read about it - it sucks.

I think the pioneer drives are a good choice, and I even had some problems with one, but I do think that for the most part they are the most reliable of the available DVD writing drives.

As for Future Apple Hardware in form of DVD writable drives I think Apple will stay with what they have.

Why would you need to write to more than one DVD format anyways?

The SuperDrive reads both, and that is what is important.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    At the minimum they ought to use DVD-multi in all their products (that is DVD-r, -rw, and DVD-ram). The DVD forum was supposed to have settled on that spec a few months ago, and all the minus drives were supposed to be comming out in that format towards the end of the year. I have a DVD-RAM (type2, 4.7GB) data disc that I made on a PC and it won't read in my PB12, but DVD-r data discs made on the same drive read just fine.

And I thin I would wait for at LEAST 2X speeds on a mobile drive, but more likely 4x before I paid extra for a crippled drive. If only Apple didn't hobble iDVD, then everyone ccould by a fast Combo drive and extrenal (FAST) DVD drive the way god intended instead of those white devils at the MPEG group, and that great satan, jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

At the minimum they ought to use DVD-multi in all their products (that is DVD-r, -rw, and DVD-ram). The DVD forum was supposed to have settled on that spec a few months ago, and all the minus drives were supposed to be comming out in that format towards the end of the year. I have a DVD-RAM (type2, 4.7GB) data disc that I made on a PC and it won't read in my PB12, but DVD-r data discs made on the same drive read just fine.

And I thin I would wait for at LEAST 2X speeds on a mobile drive, but more likely 4x before I paid extra for a crippled drive. If only Apple didn't hobble iDVD, then everyone ccould by a fast Combo drive and extrenal (FAST) DVD drive the way god intended instead of those white devils at the MPEG group, and that great satan, jobs.

Matsu Is DVD-RAM going to be around to go the distance? I have not heard of anyone using that format in forever it seems. What makes it particularly valuable over the other 2 seemingly more popular formats, and/or is more of an issue you have with an older Mac setup not being compatible with newer systems?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    OK first of all I will have to admit that I will be doing some brainstorming here, and dont have the time to dig any links or references for you, BUT I will try to summarize what I have read in the last six months...

First of all the 'Superdrive' could be more of a marketing name for Apple than a commitment to a specific (pioneer) drive. A direct evidence would be the drive in the PowerBook and some Sony drive Apple has been using at least in some iMac configurations. The sony is actually an ultimate hybrid drive (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW) but Apple of course only 'supports' DVD-R. However people have been able to burn DVD+R with that drive using toast. Its evident however that if Apple is simply using more than one supplier (pioneer/sony/etc.) that for marketing reasons they cant tout these 'Sony-Superdrive' advantages because not all machines in the product line support it.

What is even more intresting is the fact, that evidently Pioneer plans to add (if they havent yet - not sure) DVD+R/RW to their 'current' drives ie. DVR-106 (?) and make a competitor to that Sony drive. Of course that doesnt mean Apple will use the new drive, and it should be slightly more expensive than the current Pioneer.

I will get back with some links and more specific information as soon as possible.

-Snowster
  • Reply 5 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I dunno what will happen to DVD-RAM, the discs are way to expensive, but they have the best drag and drop support of any optical media. You just drag and drop to add, erase, move files around, just like a harddisk, but slower. It's not about file compatibility with older macs, I believe those were 5.2GB type-1 discs, the DVD-RAM type-2 is 4.7GB and more widely compatible with existing players. I have a DVD-r/RAM drive on my PC, which is not the full DVD-multi spec (that would be DVD-r/rw/RAM) and I really like the way the RAM drive works, no specific burning software needed, just drag and drop. The DVD+ specs might come a little closer to supporting this. I guess it's just another case of a needless standards war (Intel/HP et all should be tea-bagged by a syphilitic donkey for their meddling) and the people with the best tech (DVD-forum, with DVD-multi) failing to get their standard out and complete in time. NOw we'll have 5-10 years of DVD burbing weirdness with people having to juggle -r/rw and +r/rw when a brilliant spec was there all along. Bastards.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The Matshita UJ 815 drive in the newer PowerBooks supports DVD-RW and DVD-RAM, but, surprise surprise, neither of these features are available in Mac OS X. Some people have been able to burn DVD-RW using Toast, but it's nowhere near guaranteed.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Stoo are you saying 12" PowerBooks can burn DVD-RW? I have asked a LOT of people about this and the consensus seems to be no. Most people here said it does not support the "switching" trick of the desktops and there is no manual eject button/hole on a PowerBook 12" anyway (very stupid.)
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

[B there is no manual eject button/hole on a PowerBook 12" anyway (very stupid.) [/B]

I was not aware that they didn't include the paperclip ejection for stuck media. Not a smart thing. I think I've had to manually eject a disc for some reason or another, on every Mac I ever owned. Not a good move at all.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I haven't had a stuck disc yet but yeah it's not good.

Stoo must have been mistaken, I don't think Matshita does DVD-RW in the PBG4 12". Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise!

What I want to know is why do SuperDrives write CD-Rs so slowly? I've been stuck at 8x for yearssss...

A 2 or 4x SupaDrive with 24x or 48x CD-R burning would kick ass even if only in desktops.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    craig12cocraig12co Posts: 106member
    Quote:

I haven't had a stuck disc yet but yeah it's not good.

Stoo must have been mistaken, I don't think Matshita does DVD-RW in the PBG4 12". Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise!

What I want to know is why do SuperDrives write CD-Rs so slowly? I've been stuck at 8x for yearssss...

A 2 or 4x SupaDrive with 24x or 48x CD-R burning would kick ass even if only in desktops.

amen to that! i'd love a desktop Superdrive with 32X or higher burns (CD-R and CD-RW)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

They are not stuck at 8x as far I know. Mine write CD-R at 16x. It's fast enough. AAMOF My superdrive A05 is I think at least 2X, as fast all around than my original A03.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Anyone have any leads about the next super-drive, or DVD-R products?

when will the spec move to 6x or 8x?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Being that I use iDVD next to never, I don't mind the SuperDrive being the 2x that it is on my iMac (and, hopefully, will be that - instead of 1x - when I buy my PowerBook). What I'd REALLY like is to have the CD-R speed increased. I'd be happy enough with 16x.

I burn CDs (backup, transfers, iTunes mixes, etc.) ALL THE TIME, and I'm here to say: 8x sucks like Miss Lewinsky in a lollipop factory.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Pscates, if you rarely ever use your iMac's Superdrive, then why would you get another one?

and slower for that matter(thus having it most likely never used)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Because "rarely" doesn't mean "never". And, as I get a digital camera and/or camcorder, I can see myself using iDVD and things like that quite a bit.

I just haven't much up to now, that's all.

And this PowerBook will be my sole computer...I'm not one to keep a tricked-out desktop AND a more-scaled-back laptop for travel or whatever. I don't want multiple systems. I want ONE laptop with EVERYTHING (as tricked out, full-featured and "useful" as it can be.

I currently have enough friends and family members with digital cameras and camcorders that I could very easily see working with them, doing things for fun or gifts (working with my Mom to put together a DVD of the events surrounding the birth of my sister's first baby two months ago...stuff like that).

But if I have to choose between a snappy CD-R and a faster SuperDrive, I'd choose the CD-R because that IS a drive I use all the time. I might only do 3-6 iDVD projects a year. But I like knowing it's there.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Ah, that clears it up.

I would want a faster Super-drive, cause I could always get a 52x external. \
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I understand. But getting external stuff - for me, anyway - kinda negates the whole reason for having a slim, light (but full-featured laptop). I'm trying to GET AWAY from having a bunch of shit to haul around, plug in, pack up, unpack, etc.

One PowerBook. One mouse.

In any case, I'm betting any SuperDrive in the new 15" (970 or G4-based) will be a 2x model. And it'll probably have 16x CD-R, so I'll be happy...twice the CD-burning speed, and the same DVD-burning speed, of what I'm used to. Can't complain.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Yeah, I'm with you, I'm gonna get the new 15 inch for sure, as a desktop replacement. But in the same breath, I could see myself having some external devices for when I'm at home, but I wouldn't need to transfer an external drive with me, nor would I necessarily need whatever other devices I might have(scanner, printer, HD...etc.)

at anyrate, the next 15" will be good, that's for sure.

I hope apple isn't afraid to make it comparable, on par, or even surpassing the 17" in terms of specs, because I strongly believe that the 15 inch will be the most popular.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

DVD-RW and DVD+RW are totally different formats, but you can read DVD+RW on a superdrive.

The next Pioneer DVD-R drive will also write DVD+R. Whether Apple (or Toast) will support it in OSX is another question, however.