OS X License-partition question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Probably stupid questions but here goes...

If I partition my harddrive, say into 5 partitions, can I install OS X on each partition with one license?

I want to do this so that I can experiment with OS X on one or two of the partitions which leads to my second question. If I totally bomb OS X on one of the partitions, will it screw up OS X on the other or are the totally seperate?

Thanks to all who answer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Haven't read the license recently, but IIRC, it states you can install it on one computer. Nothing said about the # of partitions.

As to the possibility of corruption, any drive that is mounted has the *possibility* of corruption, so yes, it is *possible* that booting off of Partition A, and having it meltdown on you, *could* lead to disk damage on Partition B, but the chances are pretty miniscule, especially when you consider that /System is read-only unless you're logged in as root. (Not an Admin, true root.) And that would apply to any /System on any partition.

Go for it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Haven't read the license recently, but IIRC, it states you can install it on one computer. Nothing said about the # of partitions.

As to the possibility of corruption, any drive that is mounted has the *possibility* of corruption, so yes, it is *possible* that booting off of Partition A, and having it meltdown on you, *could* lead to disk damage on Partition B, but the chances are pretty miniscule, especially when you consider that /System is read-only unless you're logged in as root. (Not an Admin, true root.) And that would apply to any /System on any partition.

Go for it.

Thanks.

I've hosed my 8600 several times (really bad software bombs and one time, I stopped Tech Tool in the middle of optimizing which REALLY hosed it) and had to re-install the OS and apps. Then I had to configure it and get it set up for the net. With my next Powermac, since the HD's are so big, I'm going to have one partition dedicated to nothing but work/email/internet so that I can just boot into it to get back to work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've got my server set up with two drives:

Drive #1:

Partitions:

A: MacOS 9.2.2 (2GB)

B: MacOS X 10.2.6 Server (5GB)

C: MacOS X 10.1.x Server (5GB)

Drive #2:

/Users

#2 is the critical one, obviously, but mirrored to dual redundant FW drives.

#1 lets me fallback in severe instances to 10.1.x, or even 9.2.2... neither of which I've had to do since installing 10.2. They were just for emergencies. 10.3 will go over 10.1.x... 10.2.x has been rock solid, no need to keep 10.1 around.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    In terms of licensing from the perspective of the EULA (which has never been tested in a court of law), you are allowed to install Mac OS X on one computer.

However, if your copy was purchased with volume licensing, it is per installation. So you would need a license for each partition you install X on.

Barto