Gift certificates for the ITMS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I don't know, I think this would be a pretty nifty idea.

It would be great to come out a little before christmas. All the "hip" grandparentse out there could give their grandchildren a $20 or whatever amount GC to the ITMS.

What does everybody think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    nice idea...

i also would like links to album reviews...ie...i look at an album at iTMS and can click a read the rolling stone review of that album....or the village voice reviews etc....i like the amazon reviews, but they tend to be by people who like the music, i would prefer consistent reviews so i would know the persons likes and dislikes and style and so forth

g
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Abolutely! My dad mentioned this and it would open the market up to EVERONE that doesn't have a credit card. I don't have one and that's probably good for me! Gift certificates would be great, if they're not working on them already I would be surprised.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm glad you guys like my idea
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I said this the day the service was announced...TONS of people (teens, I'd suspect...and they're a HUGE music-buying presence) don't have credit cards for whatever reason (OR, they have one but - like me - use them ONLY for emergency and always "pay as you go" through life).

For that reason, yes...there should indeed be gift cards and the like. Somehow, some way.

Sell them at Target, Best Buy, Tower Records, Wherehouse and, of course, the Apple retail stores. Make them in $25, $50 and even $100 denominations.

They somehow have a code that gets tied to your account and when you use it up, you toss it and get another one. OR, make them like those phone cards where you can "charge them back up" again when you want. You can go back to the store you bought it from, maybe, and pay them and they swipe it through something that resets/recharges it for further usage.

I don't know, but it's a damn good idea. I'm glad to see everyone's agreeing with ME.

Kinda a no-brainer to me. Especially with the holidays soon coming up, what would be - hands down - the most sensible, logical and appreciated gift for the Mac user in your life?

"Here ya go, sis...50 songs of your choice, on me. Merry Christmas!"

I hope they implement this at some point. I really do.

AND, with this service coming soon for Windows, IMAGINE the cash generator that could be!

If they're not working on this (or PLAN to get working on it sometime soon), that's going to be really sad. A pissed-away opportunity of major proportions.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    an iTMS gift card would simply be a fixed limit credit card.

that's really what most of the gift cards you can buy are.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Apple have gift cards at the stores, would be nice if you could just use those to use at the iTunes Music Store...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jegrantjegrant Posts: 45member
    I think this would be a great idea; the least Apple could do is allow users to enter "Apple Store Gift Card" numbers online for use at the iTMS or Apple Store website itself.

You can accomplish a similar function for gift giving by visiting webcertificate.com or CVS drug stores, both of which sell pre-paid MasterCards which the recipient could use at iTMS. I agree it's not as nice as a card that would have an Apple and/or iTunes logo on it, but it would do in a pinch.

What I'd also like to see is lower-denomination iTunes Music Store gift cards made available to stores as a promotional item to give out with purchases. I.E. Target could say, buy 3 CDs and we'll give you a free $5 iTMS card at checkout. Or Best Buy, could say, buy a 50 pack of CD-Rs for $20 and we'll give you a $10 iTMS card with that purchase. I think it would be a great promotion, especially once it's also available for Windows, and it could help encourage music fans to "keep it legal".
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This is a fantastic idea! As others stated, it would allow teens and people from overseas to use iTMS! PLEASE Apple let people buy gift certificates!

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

an iTMS gift card would simply be a fixed limit credit card.

that's really what most of the gift cards you can buy are.

Really? The way those work (I think) is they have a $0 value in the stores, and then they are swiped in the register, and the clerk types in the value for it. The value gets linked to the card number, and you have a card that has money on it. It's just that many of these cards have the values already written on them so it makes a nice gift. I would imagine that even those cards can be recharged.

Anyway, back on topic, I really think gift cards would be a beautiful idea. The greatest thing about gift cards (for the merchant) is that either people don't use all their balance (5-10% goes unused) or they see that they have a little bit left, so they return and make a larger purchase just because they have the card. See this article: http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...ersprofit.html

Edit: darn [b]vB[b/] formatting