why does my Powerbook take forever to boot?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am pulling out my hair trying to figure out why does my TiBook take so bloody long to boot up.. like 10-15 minutes at times.. it just sits on the apple-logo FOREVER before going to the blue loading screen.

I only sleep the machine because it takes so long to reboot or boot up!

I have tried doing the chfsk think in single-user mode. removed as much as I can. I'm trying not to re-format and re-install. (I try to leave that to the PC community)

HELP!

thanks, eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    Hmm. When did the problem start? Be as descriptive as possible, and we'll try to help you out. Are you under warranty?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is why we need "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate", check here to see what I mean.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We need that because his powerbook is fscked up Shouldn't it just work?

What networking do you have set up?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Haha sorry just trying to push that feature. It would mean us 'Book owners never have to shut down though which would solve the problem. I'm changing my sig to reflect this...Eric maybe you should run DiskWarrior on your drive.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    save and shut down, then it takes three hours to watch it shut down like on windows
  • Reply 6 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The most likely reason is your files are fuxxored. Reboot from the OSX CD, run all the disk utilities, then reboot and see if the problems persist. It sounds like fsck is running when you boot up, and with a big hard drive, it can take a long time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Boot in verbose mode to see what is happening.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Moving to Genius Bar...