White cops shoot unarmed black man 8 times in the back

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...and they were cleared. I'm outraged that something like this could happen and they can get away with it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in558226.shtml

Watch the video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

The chase, CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, ended in tragedy and simmering city.

Police videotape showed the suspect finally getting out of his car and pointing a shiny chrome object in what police took to be a shooter's stance.

Shots were fired, and 25-year-old Marquise Hudspeth was killed; shot eight times in the back.

car chase.

gets out, points shiny chrome object at cops. (so far i'm following).

then gets shot 8 times in the back? wtf.

did he point it at them then turn away and then get shot or what?
  • Reply 2 of 150
    enaena Posts: 667member
    He looked up from his CNN article and sighed. He knew why white policeman had killed the black man---for it was a cold fact of nature that all white men hate black men, and that it was also a cold fact of nature that the white men with the long black tubes loved to kill the black man for sport.
  • Reply 3 of 150
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Or it could be that some US cops are not trained thoroughly enoung to keep their heads cool and evaluate situations. Just like some of their friends in the armed forces.
  • Reply 4 of 150
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I saw the video and it is really gruesome. Yet I do feel that the victim brought on some of the wrath directed at him in the shape of eight bullets. He did not only 'hold a shiny object' (a cell phone), he held it in a way so as to suggest the presence of a gun in his hands. Obviously, the cell phone did not fire any bullets. He turned around and walked away and got shot by two officers eight times in his back.

In my interpretation race was not the issue here. What was the issue was the trigger-happiness of these cops. I can definitely understand why they shot, but I don't think everybody would have done the same thing. Anyway, the 'unwarranted use of fire power'?
  • Reply 5 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Last year I think two people died in Hong Kong from gunshot wounds. That's about once in 3.5 million people.

I'm curious. What are the relative numbers for the US? I'm not going to do the resaerch now.

Found the figures for Wisconsin. 8.5 per 100.000 in 1999. 39 states had higher mortality rate
  • Reply 6 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

car chase.

gets out, points shiny chrome object at cops. (so far i'm following).

then gets shot 8 times in the back? wtf.

did he point it at them then turn away and then get shot or what?

Yes. It was ruled a justifiable homicide but that's not what the tape shows. It's clear the suspect escalated the situation with his attempts to evade arrest (both in and out of the car) but it's also clear that the officers overreacted. They didn't fear for their lives when he was pointing the shiny chrome object at them (that turned out to be a cell phone) or they would have fired then. Why did they feel threatened moments later when his back was to them as he tried to walk away?
  • Reply 7 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Found the figures for Wisconsin. 8.5 per 100.000 in 1999. 39 states had higher mortality rate

Nationwide 10.4 per 100.000 in 2000
  • Reply 8 of 150
    Just saw the video. Looks like your policemen should lay off the steroids.
  • Reply 9 of 150
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How come that video's not working for me
  • Reply 10 of 150
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

...and they were cleared. I'm outraged that something like this could happen and they can get away with it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in558226.shtml

Watch the video.

these cops may not have hated the man for his race, but they were much less likely to take the precautions necessary to avoid this incident because he was a different race... the police will probably get away with it... it is however murder, premeditated.
  • Reply 11 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

these cops may not have hated the man for his race, but they were much less likely to take the precautions necessary to avoid this incident because he was a different race... the police will probably get away with it... it is however murder, premeditated.

You don't know that.

You're only saying that because you are racist. You think that any white cop that shoots any black man is a racist. That makes you one.
  • Reply 12 of 150
    Seems clear to me the guy tried to make it look like he had a gun.
  • Reply 13 of 150
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i blame the dude for being an idiot, why'd he have to have a cell phone in his hand while getting out of the car

i also blame the cops for being idiots, probably trigger happy cops like in Detroit
  • Reply 14 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Seems clear to me the guy tried to make it look like he had a gun.

And that warrant 8 shots in the back?

Lets make a example of thoughts. If handguns weren´t so widespread in US perhaps holding a shiny thing in ones hands would not make someone think "handgun" right away?
  • Reply 15 of 150
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Whoah! A thread immediately became an anti-US rant? In AppleOutsider!?

YOU DON'T SAY!

Generalities are fun. Why think?
  • Reply 16 of 150
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

They sat in their cars and decided together to kill this black man? Don't you think their radio conversations would have at least had something to support your outright stupid claim?

I could buy that they were more scared because he was drunk and black then I could that they just outright planned methodically to kill him.

Get a clue.

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 150
    enaena Posts: 667member
    nevermind, bad idea
  • Reply 18 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

They sat in their cars and decided together to kill this black man? Don't you think their radio conversations would have at least had something to support your outright stupid claim?

I could buy that they were more scared because he was drunk and black then I could that they just outright planned methodically to kill him.

Get a clue.

Nick

apparently you dont read. they have a choice to shoot, it wasnt an accident, 8 times is not an accident.
  • Reply 19 of 150
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

apparently you dont read. they have a choice to shoot, it wasnt an accident, 8 times is not an accident.

I didn't say they didn't shoot or that it wasn't excessive. You said it was premeditated.

To plan, arrange, or plot (a crime, for example) in advance.

v. intr.

To reflect, ponder, or deliberate beforehand.

So you are claiming that these cops in entirely different cars somehow planned, arranged or plotted to kill this guy before they carried it out.

You are claiming that when they stepped out of the car after the chase, they knew they were going to kill this man. I see plenty of proof for all sorts of claims, but not for that one.

Nick
  • Reply 20 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

You don't know that.

You're only saying that because you are racist. You think that any white cop that shoots any black man is a racist. That makes you one.

you dont actually know what i think... yeah, I think the guy was a dipshit, but that doesnt make it right for the cops to kill him. people stereotype, they find patterns where there are none. police officers of either race in this country are probably more likely to suspect that a black man is carrying a gun than a white man -- the general polulace does, how are cops different? no, what i said was not racist because i didnt bring up at all the police officers race...

Edit: even more generally, people are somewhat more likely to think they understand the motives of someone who looks like them than not.