eWeek article on Smeagol and Q37

Comments

• Reply 121 of 401
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

* Power PC 970 introduced at WWDC.

* Availability? Immediatly or within 2 weeks for Single processor machines. Probably 1.4 and 1.8 ghz.

* Dual processors to follow within another 2-3 weeks.

You're setting yourself up for a big disappointment.
  • Reply 122 of 401
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

ouch!! thats told 'em!
  • Reply 123 of 401
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

ouch...now that post hurts...

g
  • Reply 124 of 401
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I guess this counts out a 970 based 15" Powerbook then...

Cheers for the heads up on this Moki...
  • Reply 125 of 401
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

I guess this counts out a 970 based 15" Powerbook then...

Cheers for the heads up on this Moki...

and availability

and duals to follow

at least...
  • Reply 126 of 401
    i take it to mean singles in july or aug

duals not till september

970 in PB maybe for xmas buying season (late oct, early november)

Gobi iBooks around same time...though the iBooks will be due an upgrade in sept or oct

g
  • Reply 127 of 401
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Yeah!, but I don't take it too seriously. If it doesn't happen, life will go on. Besides I can always run over to Ambrosia to see what new jewells they have to sooth my frustration.

I have a perfect traffic record of being wrong with my rumor predictions. One of these times I'll mess up and actually be right.

Still, I think you might agree that no matter what, it will be an interesting summer. There were a "few" items you didn't comment on.
  • Reply 128 of 401
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    OK, let me take a shot, so long as so many of us are making (un)educated guesses at what will happen at WWDC....

Considering the rumors out there, tempered by both ATAT and Moki, I am guessing we will see:

970 demo, but not available until Sept at the earliest. Single processor only, with no mention of duals.

Panther Demo (of course)

Miscellany (maybe an iBook refresh, probably a PB 15", but using the G4, simply updated a bit, etc),

I figure these expectationa are low enough that Moki won't rain on my parade!

Fish

Hey, this is my first prediction/guess on AI - go easy on me!
  • Reply 129 of 401
    i bet you we will see new machines this summer, for the education factor alone. Schools and students cant wait till september to buy new machines. Apple isn't dumb they know this. And i'm talking computer art schools that arent buying emacs and ibooks.

edit: oh really, woops
  • Reply 130 of 401
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    most schools buy their new computers by may.
  • Reply 131 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

most schools buy their new computers by may.

schools yes, but students often buy later (often much later) as they wait for summer job money, fall student loans and such...if they updated iBooks and powerbooks in july or aug, they would see lots of student sales...parents also buy back to school stuff...i am getting my daughter an iBook for her start to high school...i was going to get it this month, but i will wait till just before school starts hoping for an iBook update....

g
  • Reply 132 of 401
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    agreed. and agreed that the students will be buying imacs and ibooks and not 970s.

go gobi, go gobi!?

1.5 weeks to go.

i think they gave 10 days notice for the itune apple music rollout.

hmmm...
  • Reply 133 of 401
    Quote:

You really know how to make a grown man cry, huh?
  • Reply 134 of 401
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

OK, let me take a shot, so long as so many of us are making (un)educated guesses at what will happen at WWDC....

Considering the rumors out there, tempered by both ATAT and Moki, I am guessing we will see:

970 demo, but not available until Sept at the earliest. Single processor only, with no mention of duals.

Panther Demo (of course)

Miscellany (maybe an iBook refresh, probably a PB 15", but using the G4, simply updated a bit, etc),

I figure these expectationa are low enough that Moki won't rain on my parade!

Fish

Hey, this is my first prediction/guess on AI - go easy on me!

I would normally agree but not since the mention of smeagol. I think 970's demoed at WWDC and announced maybe in July and shipping with smeagol that same month or around there. I think they are shipping early because Apple may have done the 10.2.7 for some reason. Unless 10.2.7 is only for developers who get a 970 box and need to run code on or something.
  • Reply 135 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

agreed that the students will be buying imacs and ibooks and not 970s.

sure most are going to school and need a computer to write papers. But not if they are going for highend graphics, video, audio, etc.. When i started college i bought a tower. If there are no really powerfull macs available they will be more likely to buy a pc. And these kids are their future pro market
  • Reply 136 of 401
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    A less than glowing report from eWeek that stated a goal was to have the 970 (remember MUCH faster bus - 64bit - etc) be ON PAR with the G4 (reminder 166Mhz bus - 32bit - etc).

Moki: "Don't believe the hype"

Me: What hype? If the 970 is on par with the G4 mhz for mhz then WTF was the point of switching CPUs in the first place?

Shaktai: "Power PC 970 introduced at WWDC Availability? Immediatly or within 2 weeks for Single processor machines. Probably 1.4 and 1.8 ghz...."

Moki: "You're setting yourself up for a big disappointment."

Me: A BIG disappointment? The only thing I can assume given the very little the author of that quote speculated on would be the the 970 isn't even gonna be talked about or if it is it'll be stated that the unit wont ship till January. After all if its just that 'shipping in two weeks' is to soon and it's more like 'aug/sep' then I wouldn't exactly call that a BIG disappointment, more like 'a tad too anxious'.

Given his comments the only thing I can say is Moki isn't expecting anything to come from WWDC wrt the 970 and/or the 970 is gonna be a total bust...

D
  • Reply 137 of 401
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

A less than glowing report from eWeek that stated a goal was to have the 970 (remember MUCH faster bus - 64bit - etc) be ON PAR with the G4 (reminder 166Mhz bus - 32bit - etc).

Moki: "Don't believe the hype"

Me: What hype? If the 970 is on par with the G4 mhz for mhz then WTF was the point of switching CPUs in the first place?

Shaktai: "Power PC 970 introduced at WWDC Availability? Immediatly or within 2 weeks for Single processor machines. Probably 1.4 and 1.8 ghz...."

Moki: "You're setting yourself up for a big disappointment."

Me: A BIG disappointment? The only thing I can assume given the very little the author of that quote speculated on would be the the 970 isn't even gonna be talked about or if it is it'll be stated that the unit wont ship till January. After all if its just that 'shipping in two weeks' is to soon and it's more like 'aug/sep' then I wouldn't exactly call that a BIG disappointment, more like 'a tad too anxious'.

Given his comments the only thing I can say is Moki isn't expecting anything to come from WWDC wrt the 970 and/or the 970 is gonna be a total bust...

D

I doubt that the 970 will be introduced only in january. The chip is already in production, and Apple has troubles to sell his high margin powermac line.

The optimistic prediction is the 970 introduced at WWDC, the pessimist one is the 970 introduced in september. I think that the release of the new chip is just a matter of months.
  • Reply 138 of 401
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I think the odds of the 970 showing up at WWDC are 100%. There's no other way.

The question is whether they are introduced formally, shipping within months or weeks or days, or whether they're snuck in as a "hypothetical" 64 bit platform at the Panther demo and perhaps shown off to a few high-powered developers in private.

Apple has had the time to work on the necessary boards and chipsets. They've had the time to do the work. There can't be too much more time before the new platform appears.

If Panther is going to appear in September (more or less) then I don't see the point to Smeagol unless it'll appear a comfortable period of time before September (of course, there's the possibility that Smeagol gets stalled and killed as Apple gets close enough to Panther's release as no matter). This points to an attempt by Apple to get the 970 out pretty quickly. Of course, not everything goes the way they want it to go, but I have trouble believing that Smeagol will appear in August - unless, of course, Panther won't appear until fall.
  • Reply 139 of 401
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Now I just have a thought

Looks like Panther is going to be on schedule to be shipped in September.

If 10.2.7 (for new PM) is like what eWeek said is delayed an won't be shipped until two months after WWDC....that means no PM until September

Now the question is. Why ship 10.2.7 if Panther is shipping at the same time? What's the f*cking point?!

I start to have a feeling that the info that eWeek get is already two to three months old.

I think we at least will see an announcement in WWDC and shipment of the low end model two weeks after
  • Reply 140 of 401
    Leonis -

No, eWeek said the G5 would probably ship by August. I think that's probably true. Everyone else is thinking that G5 will ship at WWDC, and they'll be disappointed. It will probably just be announced, and then ship several weeks later. Makes sense to have 10.2.7, 'smeagol', in the interim.