iTunes - move music library?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
iTunes places your music library by default in:

/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

Can I move that to a different drive and/or directory and tell iTunes to look for it there?

I think I know one way to do it:

Copy all the Mp3s to the new directory/drive, delete the old library from iTunes and have iTunes search your computer for Mp3 files. But I'm not sure if thats a good way to do it or not.

Is there a better way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    itunes preferences (command-comma, wihtin ituens). i think 'advnaced' or 'other' or whatever the right-most dealie is. there is an option there to change the libraries' folder. so you can move all your mp3s, then change that pref (or vice-versa). just make sure that you dont have the option set where it makes a copy in your library (also in the right-most pref dealie), or you'd end up doubling your mp3s, in a huge [temporary] drag on memory.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

itunes preferences (command-comma, wihtin ituens). i think 'advnaced' or 'other' or whatever the right-most dealie is. there is an option there to change the libraries' folder. so you can move all your mp3s, then change that pref (or vice-versa). just make sure that you dont have the option set where it makes a copy in your library (also in the right-most pref dealie), or you'd end up doubling your mp3s, in a huge [temporary] drag on memory.

/smacks self in head

Man that was simple, I should have looked there. Thanks a ton!