SixtyForce

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    kim kap sol is so mean. Gerritt come on! Talk to us at least!
  • Reply 22 of 75
    HOLY CRAP PRAISE GOD GERRIT'S ALIVE! It was probably a woman. They take up a lot of time. I can understand.

www.sixtyforce.com

• Reply 23 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

HOLY CRAP PRAISE GOD GERRIT'S ALIVE! It was probably a woman. They take up a lot of time. I can understand.

www.sixtyforce.com

a woman? lol what makes you say that?
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Ok .. I've been an active follower of the N64 emulation scene both on PC and Mac for about 4 years .. let me clear a few things up ...

Firstly, expect Sixtyforce v0.70 in the next few days .. maybe even tonight/tomorrow. It should be a nice release, bit more speed and compatibility, but not exactly like the emulators on the PC side. Expect to run earlier games like SuperMario64 and Waverace, but none of the greats from Rare such as Goldeneye, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo etc. The best thing about this next release is the plugin support .. now people will be able to port graphics plugins to help improve compatibilty. Hopefully there will also be support for audio plugins, because the one Gerrit developed is indeed LLE, which is great but very slow (that's why it slows down so much with sound on).

Second, Mupen is not crap. It has the potential to be the best N64 emulator ever (potentially very fast and compatible) and it's been developed for PC, Linux and MacOS. The current version runs every rom I throw at it on my iBook (you need to know the ucodes for each rom and be patient). It is just very slow at the moment because there is no dynamic recompilier. However the current version in development has a very clever interpreter/dynarec core that has improved speed ALOT. Other things to look forward to in the next release (next month is my guess): a HLE Core-Audio sound plugin from Flea that doesn't hit performance at all (no difference in speed with sound on or off), plugin support for audio, input and graphics, auto-ucode detection, and support for all the greatest games except the likes of Rogue Leader, Naboo ... which have never been emulated on the PC either.

So, the near future is very bright for N64 emulation (finally).

HS
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by HippyShoes

Ok .. I've been an active follower of the N64 emulation scene both on PC and Mac for about 4 years .. let me clear a few things up ...

Firstly, expect Sixtyforce v0.70 in the next few days .. maybe even tonight/tomorrow. It should be a nice release, bit more speed and compatibility, but not exactly like the emulators on the PC side. Expect to run earlier games like SuperMario64 and Waverace, but none of the greats from Rare such as Goldeneye, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo etc. The best thing about this next release is the plugin support .. now people will be able to port graphics plugins to help improve compatibilty. Hopefully there will also be support for audio plugins, because the one Gerrit developed is indeed LLE, which is great but very slow (that's why it slows down so much with sound on).

Second, Mupen is not crap. It has the potential to be the best N64 emulator ever (potentially very fast and compatible) and it's been developed for PC, Linux and MacOS. The current version runs every rom I throw at it on my iBook (you need to know the ucodes for each rom and be patient). It is just very slow at the moment because there is no dynamic recompilier. However the current version in development has a very clever interpreter/dynarec core that has improved speed ALOT. Other things to look forward to in the next release (next month is my guess): a HLE Core-Audio sound plugin from Flea that doesn't hit performance at all (no difference in speed with sound on or off), plugin support for audio, input and graphics, auto-ucode detection, and support for all the greatest games except the likes of Rogue Leader, Naboo ... which have never been emulated on the PC either.

So, the near future is very bright for N64 emulation (finally).

HS

Awesome.. I can't wait. Thanx for that insight HS..
  • Reply 26 of 75
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

a woman? lol what makes you say that?

Gerrit's girlish looks probably. And his high heel shoes.
  • Reply 27 of 75

And kim kap sol how do you know that, I don't see those anywhere on his site.:P

He's the man..

Mupen crashes on opening ROMs on XP SP1 on a 3ghz Dell with gigs of RAM and a plain vanilla installation (I love my roommate, er, his computer ) and my 10.2.6. I have not seen a working N64 emulator. I have also been looking for years. I don't know why, it's a 100 mhz system, and my PowerBook 12" maxed out should be enough to handle it. I have faith that Gerrit's esp with these new plugins will eventually be THE emulator. HID support for programming controllers will be great, maybe I'll even get an Adaptoid from www.adaptoid.com .. it's nice and portable. All these half emulators are useless, why doesn't the community team up and support one? I'd say SixtyForce since it's the closest to done. One day hopefully it will become the main emulator, like SNES9X is for SNES or RockNES is for the NES. I would pay for SixtyForce 1.0!
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Not sure why you're having trouble with Mupen .. it seems to work fine for most people .. except slow. You shouldn't expect much from a 0.01 release anyway I guess. \

I have to disagree with this .. "I have faith that Gerrit's esp with these new plugins will eventually be THE emulator".

I would put my money on Mupen. Mainly because of the compatibility. Hacktarux is already emulating so many parts of the N64 that Gerrit hasn't even looked at .. this has resulted in amazing compatibilty so early on in the development. If you could get it running on your machine you'd be amazed .. mariokart, perfect dark, zelda, goldeneye, conker, literally every game I have. Now he just has to work on speed. Whereas Gerrit took a different approach - emulating the basic N64 functions and coding a nice dynarec, which gets the early N64 games working at speed, but it's a huge amount of work to improve compatibility to the infinitly more advanced games.

Mupen also has plugin support that conforms to the N64 emulator standard so it's nice and easy to port PC plugins. 64ce will have plugin support, but it's not standard \

Not to knock Gerrit (and not that he would care anyway, because 64ce isn't exactly in "active development") but Mupen out-classes 64ce in every area already, except speed. And I predict that will change as soon as the next Mupen release.

HS
  • Reply 29 of 75
    I don't understand why N64 emulators are slow on a G4. Especially my PowerBook 12" with 640 RAM, nothing else running, niced all the way up -20. Well I wish mupen luck, thank you for your informative post. I still think everyone should team up, maybe have an option in SixtyMupenForce or whatever ( ) to use either a dynamic recompiler or emulate low-level. At least get a better name than Mupen.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:

And I predict that will change as soon as the next Mupen release.

And when will that happen? I wonder how...G5s will run Mupen and SixtyForce? And maybe Panther will help us pathetic G4 users.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Quote:

And when will that happen? I wonder how...G5s will run Mupen and SixtyForce? And maybe Panther will help us pathetic G4 users.

Good news .. as I predicted earlier there will be a release this month (July) .. one of Mupen's plugin coders posted in the official Mupen forum .. see here - emutalk.net

Hacktarux, the french programmer of Mupen, was busy all last month with other projects, but is back on track now Then you just got to wait for Flea to port the Unix release to OSX, but he's usually really fast, and gets it out the same day.

HS

PS. I'm sure the next releases of both emus will be pretty sweet on the G5, but dont worry about your G4 .. I'm on a G3 700 (iBook) and I fully expect to run most N64 games at speed once the emulators have matured.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    New Mupen .2 is out. Testing...
  • Reply 33 of 75
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [stupid question][ot]

how do I get my old N64 games onto my computer?

[/ot][/stupid question]
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

[stupid question][ot]

how do I get my old N64 games onto my computer?

[/ot][/stupid question]

lol You need a backup device.. but nowadays those are hard to come by.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Yea people and companies make such a big deal out of this but what they don't get or do but are åssholes about is that we already OWN the games we're playing on the comp. I just want them "to go" on my PBG4 12" That Adaptoid controller adapter looks hot.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:

Yea people and companies make such a big deal out of this but what they don't get or do but are åssholes about is that we already OWN the games we're playing on the comp. I just want them "to go" on my PBG4 12" That Adaptoid controller adapter looks hot.

The Adaptoid is a controller adapter.. not a backup device.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:

That Adaptoid controller adapter looks hot.

I know. Guess it was a late night huh.

I was commenting about how paranoid companies are about ROMs. I'm still pissed Sony bought Connectix Virtual Game Station. What the hell! We're buying the games! Last time I checked consoles LOSE them money! Aaaach. What're you gonna do.

Anyway, I checked out Mupen .2. It now opens games! Zelda looked a little different. The different modes thing is interesting. It identified my Mariokart as "hacked". It plays with audio and video but it gets literally .3 fps (yes less than 1 fps) on a PBG4 12" with 640 RAM. Maybe 1fps without audio. This is at 640x480 or 320x400 even. Can anyone with a topend G4 tower or G5 test it. Looks good for a .2! Hopefully later this year or next spring it will be playable and then I can pick up a Adaptoid and bring my controllers (i wonder if a hub and 4 would work) and powerbook on the road for MarioParty and Smash in the car on trips. Sweeeet. Next up is a ps 2 os x emulator I hope.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    New SixtyForce is out. MUCH faster. Still doesn't support game controllers.

Audio Acceleration enables realtime audio and almost realtime video (stutters a bit in Mario Kart) but the audio sounds really weird, like it's going through a buzzsaw and then a toilet and then being compressed with low bit rate mp3. Also the graphics still look shady. Characters in Mario Kart are white shapes. They aren't drawn. Zelda won't open. Super Smash won't. Gerrit is steadily working on a less buggy version though. It's turning in to shareware which I don't mind, I hope it funds him and keeps up development.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    oops. I'm so excited! New icon woooo
  • Reply 40 of 75
    The new version has Smoothing. It also has VBL! This prevents "lines" as I liked to call them, or "image tearing" as Gerrit says. Well like I've been saying, how the hell come this isn't in OS X from the start? This would prevent image shift in games and some movies. I reeeally hope Panther adds this. If Gerrit and Richard Banister can do it, Apple can. No excuses.