Rampant Speculation: WoZ to make Apple product?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK, I realize this is a long shot, and I'm ready for the rotten tomatoes, but what the heck:

SunSpot.com is publishing the second part of their interview with Steve Wozniak [attr. MacSurfer], and this comes up:

Quote:

Can you talk about Wheels of Zeus?

No. No. It's a real neat idea. I'm real intrigued by it. We've got a great product. It did turn out to be about twice what we thought, in terms of expense and time to make, largely because we got into a big service angle -- instead of the product doing everything as hardware. But it's not going to come out from us.

If I were to talk about what it is, I'd be stepping on some other big company's toes. It's not time yet. Maybe July. It's looking like September to December.

Gee, you don't say? Now, of course, the "big company" could be just about anybody, including Microsoft or Verizon, but what are the odds? I'll bet that Steve Jobs has at least some knowledge of what it is, and perhaps even a privilege (if not a right) of first refusal.

On the flip side, Apple really isn't a reseller, and the heavy service angle Woz mentions doesn't really match up with Apple's model. But it got me thinking, at least.

The interview is worth reading in full, just because Woz is cool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Yeah, I thought about that too when I read it. But the 'big service angle' part made me think that it must be another company.

Maybe a phone company? At&T?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Don't think so. The company is heavily financed by other investors, none of them Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Yeah, I thought about that too when I read it. But the 'big service angle' part made me think that it must be another company.

Maybe a phone company? At&T?

How about Swisscom?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Nah. Maybe Sunrise.