Wow... I actually had a crash! Not a kernel panic...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was using my computer... then... BAM! The screen (the visuals) looked like it was melting or being smeared...then it snapped back to normal. It was completely frozen after that. Seconds later, my HD spun like I was restarting the computer... and the sleep light went on for a second...

Melting screen of DEATH!!!!!

-Bio

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Well, I suppose it could've be a KP, but it didn't have the nice "You need to restart your computer now." or anything like that...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Probably a power overload to the GPU or something like that. I'm not sure.

I've never heard of that, but it seems very weird.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Well, I think the powercord had some stress on it from being stretched to the wall... I did see the powercord kinda flicker before it happened... I've had similar problems where the sound goes out when I tug on the cord wrong
  • Reply 4 of 12
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    My machine actually froze up last night, no kernel panic. Also, sometimes when I pick up the iBook and the screen flops backward a little, the display goes black....some kind of short in the display connector. Hope it doesn't get worse!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm afraid, very afraid.

how come there isn't some kind of physical restriction on the power flow; denying too much and only allowing non-dangerous amounts?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'm afraid, very afraid.

how come there isn't some kind of physical restriction on the power flow; denying too much and only allowing non-dangerous amounts?

try using a good anti surge power strip, flips off when you get any nasty spikes. And if it happens a lot on that you need yer leccy looking at.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

try using a good anti surge power strip, flips off when you get any nasty spikes. And if it happens a lot on that you need yer leccy looking at.

shouldn't the computer, or possibly the processor, have some kind of failsafe for this?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Well that would be anice feature to put inside of psu's, but as for the processor goes it would be too late by the time the the surge got there. Im sure cpus can take a slight variance, the only trouble is the spikes you get down a power line arent slight. besides its always best to have the trip switch at the source.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I've had my 17" iMac 1 Gig freeze about 3 times since I've had it (about 4 months). It has always happened when on the net. I've also had 5 or 6 kernel panics with the drop down screen appear. I do run Disk Utility after each event.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

My machine actually froze up last night, no kernel panic. Also, sometimes when I pick up the iBook and the screen flops backward a little, the display goes black....some kind of short in the display connector. Hope it doesn't get worse!

If that is what it appears to be, then I hope you have AppleCare. It's a known problem with the iBooks that just gets worse as time goes on. It will probably reach the point where you will have to slowly move the screen back and forth until you find a spot where the backlight will stay on.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Bioflavinoid, you have a TiBook right? (Or I am a thinking of somebody else?)

I've had similar lock ups (none requiring a restart) with Safari lately; Java seems to bog down my own TiBook rather easily. Does anyone think the next processor/OS will improve Java/JavaScript performance on Macs significantly (it's always been pretty bad; and it hasn't gotten tremendously better)?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Bioflavinoid, you have a TiBook right? (Or I am a thinking of somebody else?)

Yup, I have the exact same computer as you.