Do you think like a millionaire?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I don't like to argue with trumptman. He's mean.

Yeah...well... you smell weird and your mom dresses you funny.

/kick

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    My two cents (ha):

I can't disagree with the basic concept of the article.

For me, though, i'm not that interested in becoming a millionare. Sure, I'd love to be filthy, "stinking-like-an-Amishman rich", overall I'm not going to strive for it. I guess I sort of believe we were all put on this Earth for a reason. The more I go through life, the more I find out or figure out that I am supposed to be a musician and teacher, not to mention husband and soon...a father. I look at money as a tool. Don't get me wrong, I am always VERY concerned with my money. I spend a lot of time thinking about it and feel I have developed good strategies for dealing with it. I have a great retirement plan, private IRA's, reserve liquid assets, an appeciating home, a college fund and fairly substantial "general savings". In other words, If I can meet my financial goals and live comfortably...I'm happy. Beyond that, I'm not sure I care.

Edit:

To follow up: There is another thought at work here, too. "Don't live only for your retirement". That's important. One should save towards it to be prepared, but the real question should be "can I maintain my current lifestyle when I retire" (if it is now what you consider to be adequate). I'd like to live "a little" better during retirement...more travel, perhaps a winter home, etc. I think that by the time I retire I'll be there. My house will probably be paid off, I'll have a great pension and all of the aformentioned things (unless God throws a big curveball..which could always happen too).
  • Reply 23 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

My two cents (ha):

I can't disagree with the basic concept of the article.

For me, though, i'm not that interested in becoming a millionare. Sure, I'd love to be filthy stinking-like-a-Amishman rich, overall I'm not going to strive for it. I guess I sort of believe we were all put on this Earth for a reason. The more I go through life, the more I find out or figure out that I am supposed to be a musician and teacher, not to mention husband and soon...a father. I look at money as a tool. don;t get me wrong, I am always VERY concerned with my money. I spend a lot of time thinking about and feel I have developed good strategies for dealing with it. I have a great retirement plan, private IRA's, reserve liquid assets, an appeciating home, a colege fund and fairly substantial "general savings". In other words, If I can meet my financial goals and live comfortably...I'm happy. Beyond that, I'm not sure I care.

Is it common knowledge that the Amish are rich?

Good post.

Nick
  • Reply 24 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Is it common knowledge that the Amish are rich?

Good post.

Nick

I think you took it as "filthy stinking"-----"like-an-amishman" "rich"

It was meant as "filthy" (comma) "stinking like an amishman" rich.

In other words, Amishman stink. Literally. I assure you.

Time to go edit that post though....I am Mr. Typo, hear me roar.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    wow, assuming all this is more than a general trend, My brother is going to be a multi-millionaire. He exhibits every one of those qualities, to the fullest extent.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

wow, assuming all this is more than a general trend, My brother is going to be a multi-millionaire. He exhibits every one of those qualities, to the fullest extent.

If this is the case, then you personally don't need to worry about optimism, frugality, etc. in order to become rich yourself. You do need a plan, however, (although it might be a very simple plan, and certainly NOT something to write down) and two more things: ruthlessness, and a big life insurance policy on your brother.