iPod keeps disappearing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I connect my new 30GB iPod to my machine at work, the icon appears on the desktop briefly, iTunes launches, and then the icon on the desktop disappears and the iPod doesn't appear in iTunes.

This means I can't access the iPod at all, and I can't switch it to FireWire mode either because it doesn't appear in iTunes.

The exact same thing is happenning to my colleague who has the new 15GB iPod.

WTF?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Update:

Whenever I launch iTunes, the iPod's icon appears on the desktop for about a second, before disappearing!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    When you connect it appears on the desktop and then diasppears, that's normal I think, unless you have it as a firewire drive. However, mine does remain in iTunes till I eject it. I don't know what is wrong...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    This happens to my iPod occassionally where I can plug it in and my TiBook won't do anything but create a file called /Volumes/iPod that is always 'busy'. And the iPod will still say 'do not disconnect'. I think this has something to do with putting my book to sleep with the iPod still mounted. A restart fixes this.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well I solved the problem by using the iPods software updater to reinstall the software (resulting in a completely blank iPod).

I then switched of automatic updating and enable FireWire hard disk mode.

A bit of a carry-on but there you go!

Hopefully this might help anybody else out there with a similar problem!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    used to happen to me all the time, cuz i'd pull the plug without preparing it first. the disk is mounted, but never gets properly dismounted, so the computer gets confused when it sees it again. restart always fixed it for me, but i'd fight tooth and nail before i'd be forced to restart. sometimes, after a while, it would unmount itself, and all would be goode until i ripped it out again. i've since learned to only unplug it when its ready.