What's your ideal portable?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, the new PBG4s are enticing me to death, however I'm still wary of getting one instead of one of the new towers that will surface at MWNY. Thing is I've always wanted a laptop, just haven't been able to convince myself it's worth it. Now that college awaits, I figure it might be a better option than previously thought.

I've been thinking about the future portable that I would want Apple to introduce, so I want to hear your ideas as well.

700 MHz G4 (or lowest power 7445)

13.3" widescreen format (high resolution)- I would want at least 1280x1024 because I think for OS X you need a higher resolution, plus it gives more screen real estate

FireWire 2

scaled down Radeon 7500 16 MB or if it doesnt consume too much power a 16 MB nVidia Quadro4 Go

Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)

support for Bluetooth wireless

3 lbs

metallic silver enclosure

full-size keyboard

I'm thinking maybe even NO drive at all. If you can hook it up and digitally transfer things from your other Macs then there would be no need to have a drive bay, and this is basically functioning as a sub notebook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My ideal portable is the current TiBook really...it's not all that large, pretty small actually, pretty powerful, has a nice display, and everything is included, not in some crud basestation so as to make the laptop smaller. The only complaint I have is the durability. These are awesome little machines...I can't say enough how much I enjoy using one. Jaguar is going to be a tank one one of the newer ones.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    Like many people would said it. You might want to get a product that might suit your computing need. If you move a lot but don't need the heavy processing power of a high end desktop unit. The portable is it.

Anyway. The iBook is probably going to be updated soon in a few month from now, it might be nice to see if this new version of iBook is going to accomplish your need or not.

As for Firewire 2 (IEEE-1394b).

I don't know if Firewire 2 would be on the Macintoshes introduced in MWNY, considering the fact that Firewire 2 devices won't be out until the later half 2002.

<a href="http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01160.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01160.htm</a>;

It would be nice though if Firewire 2 is on the Macintoshes introduced in MWNY. That way, the port is there when the Firewire 2 devices are released.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by digix:

<strong>Like many people would said it. You might want to get a product that might suit your computing need. If you move a lot but don't need the heavy processing power of a high end desktop unit. The portable is it.

Anyway. The iBook is probably going to be updated soon in a few month from now, it might be nice to see if this new version of iBook is going to accomplish your need or not.

As for Firewire 2 (IEEE-1394b).

I don't know if Firewire 2 would be on the Macintoshes introduced in MWNY, considering the fact that Firewire 2 devices won't be out until the later half 2002.

<a href="http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01160.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01160.htm</a>;

It would be nice though if Firewire 2 is on the Macintoshes introduced in MWNY. That way, the port is there when the Firewire 2 devices are released.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right, if the iBook goes G4, this might be the computer Tiger is looking for.

Althought it probably wont get under 4 pounds, and there is no way Apple will cut out the CD drive, it will no doubt be powerful and small. And the graphics chip will probably be a GeForce2 Go 200, which would be fully supported by QE yet not infringe on the TiBook's territory.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    My ideal portable would be the Titanium with an SXGA 14.1" screen. Maybe even UXGA. Mmm...
  • Reply 5 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by radar1503:

<strong>My ideal portable would be the Titanium with an SXGA 14.1" screen. Maybe even UXGA. Mmm...</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about one of those überflat CRTs?

• Reply 6 of 35
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    G4 iBook
  • Reply 7 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>G4 iBook</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's no way Apple is going to nix the optical drive...just forget about it.

Plus I think they will leave the enclosure alone for the most part.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    thalmrastthalmrast Posts: 12member
    The current 800 TiBook is my ideal though if I had to be really picky and wanted my _perfect_ laptop, I'd use the following:

1. start with the current 60GB HD, 1GB RAM, 800 TiBook

2. add built-in bluetooth

3. add a second mouse button

4. swap the 32MB Radeon 7500 with a 64MB Radeon 7500

5. add in GigaWire and USB 2.0

6. 2MB cache instead of 1MB

Power and heat might be a problem though if you added all that, not sure... Pretty overjoyed and thrilled with the current offering though. It's so much better than the Ti 500 I used to have and I loved that one too.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'd like an iBook that is similar in capabilities to the previous generation PowerBook G4s. I'd like to see 550 MHz and 667 MHz G4s. What I really want is a small, lightweight, durable laptop computer with a G4 for not an excessive amount of money. I don't need the power of a PowerBook, and many don't, but they end up shelling out the cash for one because the iBook is so underpowered. That's good and bad for Apple, but more bad than good. First, the PowerBook buyer becomes annoyed with Apple for not providing a better solution. Secondly, many people are more likely to buy a used PowerBook G4, which doesn't land Apple any money at all.

A 550 and 667 MHz G4 iBook wouldn't infringe on PowerBook territory, either. Of course the screen is much larger and nicer on the PowerBook, and the video card would also probably be better on the PowerBook than on the iBook. And think: the top end iMac is the same speed as the bottom end PowerMac, and Apple still decided to stick with that.

[edit]I also wanted to mention that my four year old PowerBook has fully half the VRAM of the brand new, $1200-$1800 iBook.

I also have a few issues with the laptop keyboards. I want a command and option key on the right side, not command and enter. I want a full sized 4-direction keypad that's moved down a bit. I want a trackpad that isn't so wide that your hands touch it while typing. I want a trackpad button that you can click if you prefer moving your finger forward and down instead of just straight down. I want a track stick like on IBM laptops. I probably won't get any of those things, but I can hope.[/edit]

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Oops, double post that took me a while to see

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 35
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    and the iMac has a SUPERDRIVE!!!

I really think it would be foolish of Apple to not put a G4 in an iBook--UNLESS the heat constraints are too much, but for some reason I doubt this... the iBook is thicker then the TiBook, so I would assume it has a better cooling system...

my ideal? 500 mhz, G4, 100Mhz bus, 12"+, 100+ PPi screen, DVD (cdrw not needed), f/w, usb, 16 radeon-M, $1500, 5hr batt, about 5 lbs, 10+ gig (5400 rpm if possible), 128 RAM

These are all minimums, so if anything gets better (IE speed, screen, cdrw(8X min or dont even bother), gfx, mem) i'd be willing to pay to a point--like $2500 or so. This would be my first laptop, so i dont want to get too expensive until I know I wouldnt break it right away. Hopefully the iBook will get this soon...
  • Reply 12 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Ideal portable? Easy.

Twice the performance/features of the fastest powerbook at half the price of the cheapest iBook.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I want a Powerbook as powerful in ALL tests as the lowest-level tower.

Seeing as components are slower in Titbooks, ...

Entry PM in Setp 2002

1 GHz/256/40 with new mobo, FSB 200 MHz

7 gigaflops

Top TiBook

1.2 GHz/256/40

7 gigaflops
  • Reply 14 of 35
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The current iBook with a G4 and a better graphics card would be fine for me.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ideal machine:

TiBook with 1.5 Ghz Apollo G4 SOI

-Plenty of DDR Ram

-DVD Combo Drive

-30GB hard disk or whatever. . . not imporant

-Latest n' Greatest ATi Mobile Radeon

-802.11a Built-on to mobo

Add ons

- Apple Cinema Display

- 120 GB External Firewire disk

- Notebook wrist-rest/stand (ie XServe )
  • Reply 16 of 35
    My ultimate portable would have to be a tablet.

13.3" LCD 1024-768 touch-screen (any bigger and why have a tablet?)

3/4" thick

brushed aluminum, rough metal look

1ghz g3 or 550mhz+ G4

Handwriting recognition with inkwell

OS X tablet edition

Docking Easel with keyboard/mouse/DVD or CD-RW

onboard firewire/ firewire2, USB/USB 2.0, 802.11b, PC card (think wireless access), sound in/out

30 gig HDD

6 hours of battery life

This would all have the coolest legal paper sized black leather case you could imagine.

The body of the tablet is shock-resistant for up to a 10 foot fall.

All of this for 1,599 USD.

Any takers? :cool:
  • Reply 17 of 35
    [quote]Any takers?<hr></blockquote>

ME! I want one! Since Apple has a partnership with IBM, this could kind of be their thing. Fast new G3 processor, and the screen too. One of my friends has an IBM laptop with a 13.3" screen, and it's by far the sharpest, clearest, brightest screen I've seen on any laptop. I like their track sticks too, but I doubt Apple will ever put one on one of their laptops
  • Reply 18 of 35
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Ideal portable? Easy.

Twice the performance/features of the fastest powerbook at half the price of the cheapest iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So that would be a 1.6 GHz G4 PowerBook with 2 Gigs of Ram, 120 GB hard disk, SuperDrive, and 64 MB video card for $599?

Heh, I'd like beautiful women lining up around the block to give me blowjobs, but I don't expect it.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    OK KeilwerthReborn, You take the laptop then and line the women up at my corner.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Ideal Portable would be something that weighs under 3.5 pounds