CNet: Macs to drive on HyperTransport links

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From CNet news...

Quote:

Apple Computer plans to discuss how it will incorporate HyperTransport, a rapid chip-to-chip communications technology, into future computers later this month at its developer conference.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company will use HyperTransport as a high-speed link between the two processors that make up the chipset in new desktop Macintoshes, sources said.

Read the the rest here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Hmm... Apple to use a NUMA architecture? couldd it be this:

Code:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

----------- ----------

| System | Hyper | System |

PC3200 ---| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- 4 GB PC3200

Unused AGP -| | | |--- AGP

----------- ----------

| |

HyperTransport HyperTransport

| |

~ --------

| South |

| bridge |

--------

Or this:

Code:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

----------- ----------

PC3200 ---| System | Hyper | System |--- PC3200

Unused AGP -| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- AGP

Unused PCI -| | | |--- PCI ---|

----------- ---------- |

| | |

HyperTransport HyperTransport |

| | --------

~ ~ | South |

| bridge |

--------

Makes for a good way to add memory as processors are added.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Hypertransport as I understand it... does not necessarily need to be used throughout the system. I can see where they'd use it to connect the two processors in a dual chip computer but let the front-side bus be something different.

Though it is interesting that they picked the name "Smeagol" for the OS revision that allows thee 970 to be compatible, because the whole idea behind HT is to allow all the chips to speak the same language so nothing has to be translated from chip to chip. "One bus to bind them" perhaps?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

One bus to bind them

Either your thinking way to much into it or thats one hell of a coincidence
  • Reply 4 of 22
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Heres to hoping that the Hypertransport consortium becomes to Apple what the CHRP spec always promised to do. Common specs + multiple vendors (apple, amd and who else?) = cheaper prices for everyone. From what I gathered the first area we will see the hypertransport spec will be in connecting the PCI bridge and various components like that - not processor to memory connections. But that said, it seems to me Apple is really jumping on the right bandwagon here, anything that moves the platform away from this starved processor pc133 ram shit is in my opinion A Very Good Thing.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Makes for a good way to add memory as processors are added

Hmmm. So Hypertransport is a 'Gatekeeper'. Reduces the traditional 'inefficiency' of Dual Processor Systems like the 'power'Mac G4?

Arranged in parallel? Just stack another two on the sides and you have a quad system? Each 970 has its own self-contained 'roads' to AGP/memory etc? Direct Hypertransport 'ROWTING' (as you Americans say...) to reduce traditional 'dual' cpu system overheads? The 'Hypertransport' acts as a 'Ring Road' to each cpu? The Hypertransport 'road' is so WIDE that it reduces congestion by virtue of the fact that it can shift huge data thereby reduces 'congestion'? Parallel design...of 'self-contained' units which make it easier to add more 'mini-systems' in parallel to...with Hypertransport acting as the conduit to a very elegant solution? Hence the much longer and 'narrow' motherboard? (ie according to Macwhispers...) How long would a quad or Octo board be?

I'm trying to picture a quad system. Any chance you or someone could knock up a similar diagram but with four cpus instead?

I'm not technical...but I've got a picture in my head of what I think it looks like. I'm curious to see if I'm picturing it right...

More diagrams for Quad and Octo systems. I'm intrigued. You've awoken my 'visual eye'.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Good read.. Keep going guy's I hope it's all true.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Hmmm. So Hypertransport is a 'Gatekeeper'. Reduces the traditional 'inefficiency' of Dual Processor Systems like the 'power'Mac G4?

The G4 SMP systems are fine. They can't handle more than 4 GB of memory, they are actually 36 bit systems but the software can only see 4 GB at a time, and the architecture performs about the same as any other architecture with only 2 processors and limited memory.

Quote:

I'm trying to picture a quad system. Any chance you or someone could knock up a similar diagram but with four cpus instead?

I drew up a couple. It should be more obvious which would be more economical for Apple.

Code:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

----------- ----------

Unused AGP -| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- AGP -------------

Unused PCI -| | | |--- PCI ----| Southbridge |

----------- ---------- -------------

| |

| |

----------- ----------

Unused AGP -| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- Unused AGP

Unused PCI -| | | |--- Unused PCI

----------- ----------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

or:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 |--- ---| PPC 970 |

--------- | | ---------

| |

--------- ------------------- ---------

| PPC 970 |-----| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ |-----| PPC 970 |

--------- | ~ L3 cache ~ | ---------

| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ |

AGP bus ---| Switched Fabric |--- Lots of main memory

-------------------

|

Hypertransport

|

-------------

Ethernet ---| Southbridge |--- 1394

Audio ---| |--- USB

Wireless ---| |--- SATA

-------------

It would have even been cheaper if the 970 had Hypertransport links and a memory controller on-die because it would eliminate the need for more than 1 system ASIC for multiprocessor systems. On top of that, they then could have used AMD and Nvidia Hypertransport-based core logic chipsets much more easily.

On the otherhand, maybe Apple will surprise us and use Rambus! Or have 7 PCI slots or something.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    The current dual processor G4 machines Apple sells all used a shared bus topology. That means you have both G4's stuck sharing that 166MHz Mpx bus and 1.3GBps. No modern PC still uses shared bus topology. Intel Xeon's have independent busses to main memory for each processor.

With Hypertransport, Apple will finally catch up to modern technology. Still, don't expect any miracles in terms of beating Intel. There's a reason why Pixar went with Xeon's and didn't wait for the PPC970.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

There's a reason why Pixar went with Xeon's and didn't wait for the PPC970.

Yup...they needed new computers *now*! Not a couple months later.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yup...they needed new computers *now*! Not a couple months later.

And the new computers were bought 13 months ago (I think the article in January made people think that PIXAR bought them in January).
  • Reply 11 of 22
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    couldn't have anything to do with the fact that renderman has not been ported to OSX. nah.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

couldn't have anything to do with the fact that renderman has not been ported to OSX. nah.

Yet...

;^p
  • Reply 13 of 22
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    yep.

can't wait. not that i have a use for it, i just want to watch "knickknack" in realtime and twist it on its axis and watch it from diff. angles.

• Reply 14 of 22
    bootsboots Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

The G4 SMP systems are fine. They can't handle more than 4 GB of memory, they are actually 36 bit systems but the software can only see 4 GB at a time, and the architecture performs about the same as any other architecture with only 2 processors and limited memory.

I drew up a couple. It should be more obvious which would be more economical for Apple.

Code:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

----------- ----------

Unused AGP -| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- AGP -------------

Unused PCI -| | | |--- PCI ----| Southbridge |

----------- ---------- -------------

| |

| |

----------- ----------

Unused AGP -| ASIC |-- Transport --| ASIC |--- Unused AGP

Unused PCI -| | | |--- Unused PCI

----------- ----------

| |

970 bus 970 bus

| |

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 | | PPC 970 |

--------- ---------

or:

--------- ---------

| PPC 970 |--- ---| PPC 970 |

--------- | | ---------

| |

--------- ------------------- ---------

| PPC 970 |-----| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ |-----| PPC 970 |

--------- | ~ L3 cache ~ | ---------

| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ |

AGP bus ---| Switched Fabric |--- Lots of main memory

-------------------

|

Hypertransport

|

-------------

Ethernet ---| Southbridge |--- 1394

Audio ---| |--- USB

Wireless ---| |--- SATA

-------------

It would have even been cheaper if the 970 had Hypertransport links and a memory controller on-die because it would eliminate the need for more than 1 system ASIC for multiprocessor systems. On top of that, they then could have used AMD and Nvidia Hypertransport-based core logic chipsets much more easily.

On the otherhand, maybe Apple will surprise us and use Rambus! Or have 7 PCI slots or something.

The diagram overlooks the cost benefits of using "jelly bean" functionally-focused HT bridges to go from the HT highway out to PCI-X, or AGP, or USB, etc. AMD already makes these. Mix and match.

Scaling system designs from lightweight to heavyweight becomes much easier if you are no longer forced to design kitchen sink ASICs due to bandwidth scarcity off chip. With HT you have plentiful bandwidth off chip so your hands are untied at the PCB level. Want a machine with two AGP ports (a power user feature)? Put another HT-AGP bridge chip on the highway, no ASIC redesign.

One could envision a chip that speaks 970-FSB, DRAM, and HT. For a dual processor config, just stack two copies of that same chip on the HT highway. No special MP ASIC for 2 way or 4 way. And in fact that would be the only 970-specific ASIC flavor on the board.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

The current dual processor G4 machines Apple sells all used a shared bus topology. That means you have both G4's stuck sharing that 166MHz Mpx bus and 1.3GBps. No modern PC still uses shared bus topology. Intel Xeon's have independent busses to main memory for each processor.

Not quite. The Xeons *do* have a shared bus (as indeed, does the Itanium) currently peaking at 533MT/s. AMD's Athlon MPs, however, have independent busses.

michael
  • Reply 16 of 22
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I do have to say that CNET could very easily be making a very goos guess, since I made very similiar predictions 10+ months ago. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=19285

I was off about the HT vs RapidIO only because IBM and Modorolla both are on that standards committee and the switched fabric architecture seemed faster after my intense reading on the subject.

But Hypertransport Switching is possible now if I remember correctly, vastly enhancing everything about it.

As for available chips, AMD produced (when that post was written) an I/O Hub (basically a Southbridge), AGP3 tunnel, and PCI-X tunnel.

As interprocessor connect, AMD developed its own additions to HT for interprocessor connects. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Your mocks ups seem reasonable with the fact that the 970 doesn't have HT or memory controller.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

I'd pretty much count on getting your wish when the 970's follow up appears since the memory controler will indeed be moved on chip.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Keep in mind that CNet doesn't know what they're talking about in general.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Keep in mind that CNet doesn't know what they're talking about in general.

And their advertising is shear torture (to anyone waiting impatiently for Apple to release a Tablet).

Aries 1B
  • Reply 20 of 22
    rmendisrmendis Posts: 71member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

Hypertransport Switching is possible now if I remember correctly, vastly enhancing everything about it.

HyperTransport will allow for serial, tree, switch (like NUMA) or even a mix and match of those topogies.

That is Apple could use a single serial HyperTransport chain for I/O.

While using a switch for multiprocessing.

And maybe another chain for memory.

However, i suspect that to begin with Apple will use just the one HyperTransport chain for simplicity of motherboard design. Later on perhaps with the introduction of the PPC 980 which is likely to add a second Apple PI BUS (HyperTransport derivative) connect and maybe even a direct memory controller/bus, Apple may advance the motherboard bus topology: switch for MP, serial for I/O and dedicated custom memory bus.