Play DivX files best solution?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

Friends of mine have lots of divx movies I'd like to play.

I've tried using Divx doctor II to doctor them and also the Divx thing from divx .com. They work ok, but:

Some files don't convert well and I can't watch them.

And, it takes a lot of time to convert them.

I came accross VLC and I was really impressed by the fac t that I don't need to process them to watch but there's a problem, because I've got an iBook 500 and the higher quality videos don't play very smoothly. In fact, they're quite slow.

So What is the best DivX solution for Mac?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    There are 3 ways to watch DivX on Mac :

1) Use the converters and watch the movies with Quicktime.

2) Use VideoLan Client.

3) Use MPlayer (either the 'MPlayer for OSX' version or the version on Fink).
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

1) Use the converters and watch the movies with Quicktime.

2) Use VideoLan Client.

4) Use the latest QT plug-in from DivX.com.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Sorry, but doesn't the latest quicktime plugin you're talking about from divx.com still need processing?

I downloaded it (5.05) and it still needs doctoring and is a pain.

What I really need is a way to play movies without needing to doctor them, yet although Video lan client gives this option, it is far to slow to be used with my system.

Is the fink option better?

Please let me know.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Sorry, but doesn't the latest quicktime plugin you're talking about from divx.com still need processing?

I downloaded it (5.05) and it still needs doctoring and is a pain.

What I really need is a way to play movies without needing to doctor them, yet although Video lan client gives this option, it is far to slow to be used with my system.

Is the fink option better?

Please let me know.

Thanks

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/beta/
  • Reply 5 of 19
    zon7zon7 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/beta/

Can someone tell me if this version of Div-x doesn't need pree processing?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by zon7

Can someone tell me if this version of Div-x doesn't need pree processing?

It doesn't need processing, but somehow, I've found that it doesn't play everything that well.

I guess it's still early.

What I found out to be the best solution is using the MPlayer.

Amazingly, the port works very fast and is very versatile. However, the interface is very un apple-esque.

Thanks guys, again.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

You can't get Mplayer off of Fink the last time I checked. Ok well yeah you can if you want to wait for it to compile and you won't have a GUI only the CLI...... It's better to get it from here.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

You can't get Mplayer off of Fink the last time I checked. Ok well yeah you can if you want to wait for it to compile and you won't have a GUI only the CLI...... It's better to get it from here.

Yeah, don't bother with fink. This is the easier one. Plus, I believe you have to install fink to use the fink version, which is a pain.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    1 word: MPlayer

Proud iBook Owner you need to check out MPlayer 2. You can finally "seek." I used to use VLC but now MPlayer has a better GUI and it opens things even VLC won't. Now if only it wouldn't stop playing when coming out of full screen...

edit: MPLayer definitely doesn't require fink. The installation is annoying because the idiots that designed the open source backends demand the parts be downloaded separately but there is an installer that has the links and knows where to put the parts so it only takes a minute to install and once done you can play almost any media out there between MPlayer and QuickTime Pro with the 3ivx plugin.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Fink isn't required for MPlayer. It's an option.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

1 word: MPlayer

Proud iBook Owner you need to check out MPlayer 2. You can finally "seek." I used to use VLC but now MPlayer has a better GUI and it opens things even VLC won't. Now if only it wouldn't stop playing when coming out of full screen...

edit: MPLayer definitely doesn't require fink. The installation is annoying because the idiots that designed the open source backends demand the parts be downloaded separately but there is an installer that has the links and knows where to put the parts so it only takes a minute to install and once done you can play almost any media out there between MPlayer and QuickTime Pro with the 3ivx plugin.

Aquatic:: That's what I'm using. I'm using MPlayer 2 Beta 4. It's great. It needs alot of work but it's better than it has been...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I just wanna know why people don't take the time to SEARCH the forum for there answer. About once a month some one asks the same question. WHen alll they have to do is look for it in the forum cause its been discussd dozens of times.

Anyway thats all i have to say.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Seems there's a new version of the DivX codec. Let's see if it can play files without having to fix the audio...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Seems there's a new version of the DivX codec. Let's see if it can play files without having to fix the audio...

...And it seems to! Hurrah!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    That was actually the major bug that was addressed in the latest version of DivX for the Mac. They fixed the long standing bug of DivX movies using MP3 for audio.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hey Gabid how's it going up in Montreal? My family usually comes up for a summer vacation but we were considering Toronto this year but it looks SARStacular now!

foad what format would divx use instead of mp3? I don't see why divx's don't use AAC...

3ivx in my experience beats the crap out of any other divxish format. I guess it's sort of tied with MPEG-4.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Aquatic

[B]Hey Gabid how's it going up in Montreal? My family usually comes up for a summer vacation but we were considering Toronto this year but it looks SARStacular now!

Montreal's nice but rainy right now. Actually, so is Toronto where I just was. Stay out of a hospital and I think you won't have to worry too much about SARS. Look at it this way: you come out of Union Station (the train station) and see waves of people running all about. That really makes you realise just how big the city is and just how low the risk of catching SARS realistically is.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

That was actually the major bug that was addressed in the latest version of DivX for the Mac. They fixed the long standing bug of DivX movies using MP3 for audio.

It's not a bug. DivX is a codec that takes the AVI container, and hacks MP3 + DivX into it.

The AVI container was never designed to do that, and QuickTime not playing MP3 audio is not a bug, it's standards adherance.

Barto
  • Reply 19 of 19
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    wow that new divx codec is great stuff but i think ill stick with vlc for its fullscreen ability