How many career changes have you had?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm speaking of actual different career moves, not simply a new job within your same line of work.

I read somewhere that a person averages 4 career changes in their life time. That sounds rather high to me.

Did you always know what you wanted to do? Or have you yet found your calling in life?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Lets see,

Factory worker

( hard yakka, for a kid of 14 ),

Then Gardener, ( fun )

Then Teacher / Lecturer

( stressful & rewarding )

Now working as artist

Poor but happy ...

How many is that ?..

Yer right 4 paid jobs.

(Did stints in other menial jobs while at University but they don't count )

As to my calling..?

Mostly trying to do my best

and staying focussed on the job at hand.

Mind you I wouldn't mind being a beach comber or riding my bike around the world.

If someone paid me to do them, would they count as jobs ? 8)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    No career change for me.

It take me 14 years of study in order to work for my own. It's too much an investissement to change of aera.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh, too many "careers" switching between the couch in the TV room and the chair in the computer room.

Actually, I'm a full-time student and work whenever the opportunity presents its self.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Coffee jocky

Rare books -scouting, buying selling

Art gallery owner

Oriental rugs seller

subcatagory, 'jobs':

Factory work (seasonal)

Temp

Security Guard (pretty recently too)

Sales -assorted

Construction

Organic Sandwich cook

Temp

Temp

and Temp

etc

Freelance Video production

Artist - (current)

Teaching (Prof.) -(current)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Three major directional changes (corporate communications and marketing, then web design, and now landscape architecture (and some photography which is my ultimate career aim). I've worked for six different companies during those phases, including one of my own which went well for a while but ultimately bottomed out around the time the economy took its ugly turn.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    1) Docker

2) Aircondition Engineer

3) Semi Professional musician

4) MVS/Jes2 network administration

Still room for more, I'm only 38
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, i've only had 3 money-making jobs: "cd production" (i think thats safely ambiguous incase theres any lawdogs about), day trader, and programmer.

when i was young, there were a few of jobs i was interested in. for a stint i wanted to be a policeman, never really pushed that idea too far though, and luckily i've realized how disgusting that line of `work' is before it was too late. i wanted to be a magician for a long time, and managed to learn quite a few tricks (i still pull out a pack of cards, every so often, and show a few card tricks). for a pretty long period, i wanted to be a writer (and still, to a lesser extent, do). i wrote a few short stories, even some that weren't for school. i try to tie writing (though pretty loosely) into my game programming; i say loosely, because, in my experience, games that stay too strictly to a plot line take away too much fun from the game. once i realized that i wanted to program, it was very clear that it was going to be my job thenceforth, and i very much pushed that idea. i've also given some consideration to drug dealing. it's much too lucrative to dismiss entirely (and the fact that i don't like it being illegal makes it kind of extra nice, in my mind). i doubt i'll ever get the gall to do it though, atleast not on any high level. i also considered being a day trader, and managed to make myself a fair amount of money doing that, but i'm not good enough (and couldn't sustain interest long enough to become good enough) to do that full time (but, to my credit, i did manage to net 15 or 20% in a single year). and finally, i wanted to be a guitarist in a rock and roll band. i managed to keep that idea on the back of the stove, just expanding my skill set for personal amusement. if i ever do become really good at guitar, i wouldn't hesitate (not for too long) about dropping any other job i may have at the time, to pursue that.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    None for me.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    jobs have been slightly different.. but have always worked in the IT industry... dont plan on leaving... maybe switch job types, but not leave the industry
  • Reply 10 of 11
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    A dozen or so!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Pretty much every job I've ever had constituted some kind of career change, although going from foreign and security policy research to being a tax consultant was probably the most drastic. Since then I've gone back to being a full-time student, worked for a dot com and have somehow now ended up as a business analyst for a financial services company. I'm on my fifth job, fifth city, fourth country and second continent in 8 years, so I guess I don't know what I want to do (or even where I want to be) when I grow up either.

I've decided to ignore earlier stints in food service, artificial Christmas tree manufacturing and poop picking upping because I never really considered them to be careers. I'm forced to leave out my DJing 'career' due to the fact that I very rarely get paid to do it.