Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 621 of 770
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

And completely beyond all reason too.

First, there's practically no chance that the 970s will be shipping at WWDC. We would have heard something by now. Besides, when's the last time Apple announced a product and had it shipping the same day? I thought so ;-) If eWeek is to be believed about the existance of Smeagol, then 10.2.7 won't go final until a few weeks after WWDC anyway. They always seed to developers before shipping. (However, that doesn't preclude showing 970's running 10.2.7 builds - they did this with the PB 17's too)

If 10.2.7 is basically a version of Jag for the 970 then they wont seed it to anyone who dosnt have a test 970 machine, becouse that would probably "confirm" the existance of the 970. This may not have any improvements over 10.2.6 at all, expecially since 10.2.6 is just a few weeks "old"

Quote:

Thirdly, it would be really smart of Apple to ship 970s with Smeagol before Panther goes final. Why? The single biggest factor in QA for Panther will be testing existing software on 64-bit systems, and thus Apple needs to get 64-bit machines seeded pretty widely. There's no way to do this without letting the world know, and it would raise a huge chorus of complaints. This is the smart way to do a 32->64-bit transition, and judging from the way Apple has operated in the past I'd guess this is the way they're going to do it.

I agree, this just makes sense. The way I see things it is in Apples best interest to have 970 Macs ready for purchase at WWDC, to go along with that Panther preview CD developers are walking away with. That way they can get started on 64 bit apps right away. A few weeks later would be OK as well....
  • Reply 622 of 770
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i think it may be time to bring back an old favorite:

g
  • Reply 623 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Apple retail stores are being redesigned as this image of the new Chestnut Hill, MA store proves.

Is this indicative of new hardware next week?

The retail stores are always great about having the new gear in and the old gear out, literally overnight. If they wanted to do a floor plan change also, it would make sense to do it a week early so its ready for all the WWDC goodies.
  • Reply 624 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I want my computer to be clevery disguised as a ceiling fan. Apple could sell 'em with two blades but you could easily add more blades. And...ummm...the screen would simply hang from the middle of the fan...like the iMac, except the arm would extend from the non-rotating part of the base of the fan.

Apple could debut the iFan with 2.5GHz 970s because the rotation of the fan would be enough to keep the processors cool at all time. The iFan would also keep you cool at all time.

But think of the noise! I want a fanless model!
  • Reply 625 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    its not a new layout evdiently:

Quote:

UPDATE: Readers have informed us that a few other Stores already sport this new layout

• Reply 626 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

If 10.2.7 is basically a version of Jag for the 970 then they wont seed it to anyone who dosnt have a test 970 machine, becouse that would probably "confirm" the existance of the 970. This may not have any improvements over 10.2.6 at all, expecially since 10.2.6 is just a few weeks "old"

Nah - Apple's continually poking at bugs and other things in the OS. They probably could have released a 10.1.6 if they had wanted to as well. 10.2.7 will have other changes in it. Besides, I personally don't think Panther will be here until middle/late September based on how late the initial seed is, and so this gives them time for other Jag updates.
  • Reply 627 of 770
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i think it may be time to bring back an old favorite:

g

The infamous note.. What a disappointment that was !
  • Reply 628 of 770
    What happened then?

(I'm very new to Macs)
  • Reply 629 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

What happened then?

(I'm very new to Macs)

Back to that time A lot of people (including myself) were expecting G5....but what we only saw is the LCD iMac....G4 was still stuck at 867MHz.

To me it was a disaster. That "Beyond rumor site" thing was totally over-exaggerated by Apple.
  • Reply 630 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Back to that time A lot of people (including myself) were expecting G5....but what we only saw is the LCD iMac....G4 was still stuck at 867MHz.

To me it was a disaster. That "Beyond rumor site" thing was totally over-exaggerated by Apple.

Right - because all the rumor sites hit the flat-panel G4 iMac with adjustable swivel arm display thing on the head.

To the rest of the world, what Apple announced was indeed revolutionary. The G5 wouldn't have been "beyond the rumor sites". The iMac was.

I think people here need to take a dose of reality every once in a while.
  • Reply 631 of 770
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Right - because all the rumor sites hit the flat-panel G4 iMac with adjustable swivel arm display thing on the head.

To the rest of the world, what Apple announced was indeed revolutionary. The G5 wouldn't have been "beyond the rumor sites". The iMac was.

I think people here need to take a dose of reality every once in a while.

No...beyond the rumor sites would have been the G6. And way beyond would have been the G7.
  • Reply 632 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

The infamous note.. What a disappointment that was !

wow, you where one of the people who expected the imac with a 800Mhz G4processor and that swinging tft-screen on an arm more than a day before the keynote? or was it a big disappointment because there was no G5?

anyway, apple was right: it was beyond the rumor sites. it was not what everybody expected and that way this "infamous note " was actually a very good joke and a longnose to rumorsites in general.

Quote:

No...beyond the rumor sites would have been the G6. And way beyond would have been the G7.

no, that would be a the wettest dream of all apple geeks on earth ever. a funny thing about wet dreams is they'll never happen in reality
  • Reply 633 of 770
    Quote:

Yeah, because Apple will announce a G7 without a G5 preceding it.

Sheesh. I think Apple learned their lesson - now matter how unexpected the product is, the rumor sites will always be wackier (and more disconnected from reality!)
  • Reply 634 of 770
    OT:
    Quote:

Originally signature by Anonymous Karma

All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa...

arthur c. clark, no?

or was it, all these worlds belong to you, except europe...?
  • Reply 635 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

OT:

arthur c. clark, no?

or was it, all these worlds belong to you, except europe...?

It's a preversion of the quote - "All these worlds, are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

If you haven't heard of All Your Base, well, then I can't help you. You're so un-hip that it's a wonder your bums don't fall off
  • Reply 636 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Nope, not at all. The Bellevue, WA store opened, built to that floor plan. I think they are just settling on a floor plan that works for them. Probably tried several variations and found this one the most effective.
  • Reply 637 of 770
    Quote:

It's a preversion of the quote - "All these worlds, are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

If you haven't heard of All Your Base, well, then I can't help you.

heard of that one and that was why i was confussed
    Quote:

You're so un-hip that it's a wonder your bums don't fall off

nope still there, hippism is not my piece of cake though.

i would have to look like a boyband member, have faggy clothes, shitty hearjob, drink breezers and walk around on those butugly nikes without shoe-lace.
  • Reply 638 of 770
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Wow, now you guys are spinning yarn completely out of control.

See my sig:
  • Reply 639 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Sorry, I was thinking of this tidbit from Mac Rumors:

"Other hints of things to come, include plans for significant Apple Store floor-plan redesigns in the week after WWDC, suggesting new product releases."

I thought the "new" layouts were evidence of this, but now that I reread it, I realize Mac Rumors' prediction is for after WWDC.
  • Reply 640 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

nope still there, hippism is not my piece of cake though.

i would have to look like a boyband member, have faggy clothes, shitty hearjob, drink breezers and walk around on those butugly nikes without shoe-lace.

I seriously hope that English is not your first language. That said, you should revoke your license to Sci-Fi fandom for failing to recognize a HHGTG reference.