ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I want to purchase a new ipod, but i was wondering if it would work with both mac and windows. The old onew were either mac or windows. Does the new one work with both? I'm getting a new powerbook in a couple months, but in the meantime, i would like to have an ipod. It would be used with a windows computer for a couple months, then used exclusively with a mac. Is this possible?

Thanks,

A.J.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm sure the fine folks in Digital Hub will give you all the info you need. That's where we discuss the iPod.

• Reply 2 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    No, the iPods are not cross-platform. I would suggest getting a Mac version and copy all the songs/files you need from your PC to your mac by setting up a ethernet network.

Good luck
  • Reply 3 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

No, the iPods are not cross-platform.

I thought the new ones were....
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Whaaa... Hold on, I'll try! I thought they were not.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Well, I'll be...

It looks like it will show up on a PC, but I would have to format it to get the iPod to work. I don't know if OSX can read PC disks, so you may have to re-format it again to get it working with a Mac.

I thought cross-platform abilities were specifically crippled for copyright reasons.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    330zx330zx Posts: 27member
    So does this mean if i buy it now, i could use it with a pc for the next two months, and then switch over to the mac after that. I want the ipod now because im going on several long flights and trips and i really need it, but i want to wait to purchase my powerbook until early august, because i dont want to be dissapointed if the new 15 aluminum comes out.

Thanks,

330zx
  • Reply 7 of 11
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 330zx

So does this mean if i buy it now, i could use it with a pc for the next two months, and then switch over to the mac after that. I want the ipod now because im going on several long flights and trips and i really need it, but i want to wait to purchase my powerbook until early august, because i dont want to be dissapointed if the new 15 aluminum comes out.

Thanks,

330zx

ofcoarse you can, i mean, its like everywhere on Apple's website. It uses music match instead of itunes. http://www.apple.com/ipod/ The slogan is For Mac and Windows.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.2.0.0.1.0

Look at the top under Select Your iPod it says - Made for Macintosh and Windows PC's
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the new ipods come formatted for mac. when plugged into a pc for the first time, they are formatted for pc.

so, yeah, you can use the same ipod for both.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cool! Now i can go buy one tomorrow!! Is there any way to get the apple edu discount if you dont buy it online. Im attending college next fall, so i qualify, but i need the ipod by June 17, so ordering online is not possible.

thanks,

330zx
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Bought my new ipod...and boy is it SWEET~

397 out the door for a 15gig...student discount saved 30 bucks...not a bad deal.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I own an iPod, a PC and a Mac.

If you plug an iPod into a PC, it is formatted for a PC. Then it works on PCs and Macs.

It just shows up in iTunes, and the drive mounts on the desktop.

However, a Mac formatted iPod will only work on a Mac (unless you have a third-party peice of software like XPlay or MacDrive or something).

Barto