Ipod Help..

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I installed all the software on my pc, and connected teh ipod, then transferred songs. However, it never stops flashing "do not disconnect"...i eventually disconnected it because i wanted to charge it. The six songs i transferred all worked fine. How do i get it to stop flashing "do not disconnect"? Do i have to do anything else?

thanks,

330zx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If you have no problems, you can probably get that screen to go away by restarting it by pressing play and menu at the same time (on a new one, I am certain it is the same on an old one but I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you just have to dismount it from the computer first, then it will stop showing this sign.

sometimes confusing, eh?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

you just have to dismount it from the computer first, then it will stop showing this sign.

sometimes confusing, eh?

The sign doesn't flash the whole time it is connected to the computer. Only when files are being transfered.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    No. Try it for yourself. The 'Do Not Disconnect' sign shows when the iPod is mounted on your Computer. When you dismount it, the other sign appears.

• Reply 5 of 17
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

you should have a small iPod in your Taskbar at the bottom right near the clock. Right click on it and chose "deactivate iPod" (or similar).

When you want to mount the iPod do the same, but chose activate.

I suggest you get a firewire card for your PC!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    330zx330zx Posts: 27member
    I figured it out...i wasn't ejecting ipod from musicmatch, so even though it had completed transfer, it was still waiting for me to transfer more. I am using firewire, what do you mean get a firewire card?

Thanks,

330zx
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 330zx

...i eventually disconnected it because i wanted to charge it. ...

Quote:

what do you mean get a firewire card?

I thought you use USB, because if you use Firewire it charges when connected.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Im using the 1394 connection...the one it came with. And it doesn't charge, but from my understanding, it only charges if you use it with a mac.

330zx
  • Reply 9 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    As I understand, the PC's 1394 connection won't charge the iPod. Only Macs have the power through the Firewire bus to do this. PC users have to use the AC adaptor. So, yes, 330zx, you are right.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Hi,

with most desktop PC's you can charge the iPod via the 1394 connection on Windows computers (mine does, my Dell had no Firewire, so I added a Firewire card, was cheaper than the USB cable from Apple).

Most Windows Laptops and PCMCIA Cards with 1394 don't charge, and you cannot charge with the smaller (4 Pin's)Firewire connectors (the ones used in most digital cameras).

I think Apple wants to be at the save side, thats why they are saying that you cannot charge on a Windows PC.

(They don't say you cannot charge via Firewire on a Windows PC)

330zx: What machine are you using?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    The iPod should charge when it is connected to standard FireWire port (which looks like a enlongated pentagram or whatever) on the computer.

The iPod doesn't charge when it is connected to the computer using the adapter that was included with the iPod. You'll need to use the included charger.

Also, just look at the battery ticker on the iPod's screen.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    6 pin FireWire = data & electric current

4 pin FireWire = data

• Reply 13 of 17
    Im using a compaq presario 2700 laptop. Is there any way to have the ipod connected to the computer and charging at the same time? It would be nice to be able to add music and be charging at the same time.

thanks,

330zx
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

No. Try it for yourself. The 'Do Not Disconnect' sign shows when the iPod is mounted on your Computer. When you dismount it, the other sign appears.

You must mean when it's mounted as a firewire drive. If you don't have it mounted as a firewire drive, it quickly flashes the icon on the desktop and then disappears. You control everything else through iTunes, and it doesn't say "Do Not Disconnect" if you have it this way. I have yet to try it as a firewire drive.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Im using a compaq presario 2700 laptop. Is there any way to have the ipod connected to the computer and charging at the same time? It would be nice to be able to add music and be charging at the same time.

thanks,

330zx

Probably not, since it is a PC notebook. Are you using the dongle/adapter that came with the iPod to connect the iPod to the PC? Then that means you probably aren't charging at the same time...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    To reiterate what others have said: if you've got a 6 pin FW connection, it will charge. If it's a 4 pin connection (Sony's implementation of firewire, called i.Link), it doesn't charge. Those extra 2 pins are the power.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cwedlcwedl Posts: 11member
    If you using MusicMatch Jukebox, the ipod will show that sign until you right click the ipod icon in the ipod screen within musicmatch and click eject device.