We truly are the BMWs of the computer industry

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, it's late at night, and I'm bored so what am I doing? Watching the ITMS intro, the presentation in which Steve Jobs intros the iPod for the first time, and of course...MWSF 2003 Keynote. Be prepared for a rant.

Let's face it...it is highly unlikely that Apple will gain more than 5% market share in the computer industry, and you know what? That's ok. Why? Because Mac users are better off. We have a great OS that just works and doesn't get in our way. Every digital camera works with iPhoto, every camcorder with iMovie, iPod with iTunes, and iDVD burns universal DVDs. It has been said that no other company has offered such SEAMLESS and SIMPLE integration, and whoever said that is absolutely right. I saw a documentary the other day about the evolution of consumer technology. You know what? Steve Jobs and Apple were named 4 TIMES as the industry innovators for the following four technological breakthroughs.

1) The Apple II. This was perhaps the BIGGEST breakthrough in consumer technology to date. It has revolutionized (I'm gonna use this word a lot so be prepared) the computer industry.

2) The Newton. The first major PDA. It may not have been successful at the time. Why? Well according to the folks over at the Discovery Channel, it was WAY ahead of its time.

3) Consumer mainstream wireless internet technology. The ability to use the internet and communicate from your laptop without being tied to the wall. Simply amazing.

4) The iPod. While it may not be the first MP3 player, it is certainly the best.

These four things were mentioned by the documentary as major breakthroughs in consumer technology. Did I hear Dell, Microsoft, or HP? Nope. The technology we as Mac users use are the cream of the crop. We pay top dollar for them, and we get our money's worth. Jobs and his many many development teams are pure geniuses. They do technology right, while Gates and Dell take Apple's ideas and f*ck em up beyond all recognition (Windows anyone?) just like they are gonna do with the iPod and ITMS.

I have heard the term "once you go Mac, you never go back" numerous times. While I was in my former place of employment, Best Buy, today looking for a case for my mom's new iBook, a couple of my former-fellow employees made jokes about the slab of lucite I carried in my hand. I replied with something along the lines of, "Careful guys, word on the street is you guys are gonna start sellin em soon." Another one asked me why I used a Mac. I told them that I would never use another Windows machine again, and honestly, I haven't used one in the past 2 years. He said it was because I never used Windows, on the contrary, I grew up on an Apple IIe and a DOS machine. I used every version of windows up until XP.

So when someone says to you, "Macs suck". just remember the last time you had problems with your Powerbook or iBook or iMac or PowerMac. When was the last time you wanted to throw your Powerbook out the window, or kick in you PowerMac. Apple has been compared to the great car companies like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Aston Martin, and Jaguar. Think about it. These companies have very little market share, but they have something that Ford, Toyota, Honda, and other car companies don't have...and that's style and consumer devotion. Some people like Windows, some people like Macs. What do I say to those who choose Windows? First, I ask them if they have ever used a Mac, if they say no, then I suggest they try one. If they don't like it...fine. I am done trying to "convert" people like so many kids are trying to do these days.

We use Macs because we want seamless integration, breakthrough technology, and the best operating system money can buy. Jobs and Co. deliver every time, so thanks Steve, thanks Woz, for making my life easier and my computing experience a dream.

I forgot to mention that in the documentary, Final Cut Pro was described as the best video editing application available and rivaled Hollywood-level editing apps. Thanks again Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    By referring Apple to BMWs, I geuss you mean how they're over priced, slow compared to the competition and a common choice for people that don't know much about computers? hmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 57
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

By referring Apple to BMWs, I geuss you mean how they're over priced, slow compared to the competition and a common choice for people that don't know much about computers? hmmm...

You don't know much about cars do you?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I equate Apple more to Audi's than BMWs.

Why? Because they're pretty good in terms of performance (not as good as BMW), but are by far the best looking cars around today.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Kelib, I suppose you own a BMW? The point I'm making is, there is always a better rival car, ie be it for performance, comfort, or whatever... Plus with BMWs you get stingy kit as standard, and they are even overpriced as base models.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Compare a BMW to a Mercedes and the BMW will cost you over $10,000 less and have more, so BMW's are not always overpriced, the only thing I dont like about BMW's are that they use Microsoft technology, It already almost killed someone.

Il say Apple is more like Audi, because they look nice, (Audi designers are really good at designing Audi's and i love how they design the Bugati's also) they are fast (Audi owns Lamborghini) And they have their own sence of real style.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Kelib, I suppose you own a BMW?

No. He owns a Honda Accord. I sat in his car once. The European version is 100000x better than the North American version
  • Reply 7 of 57
    I'd liken them more to Volkswagen. I been trying to find this National Lampoon poster with a Beetle floating in water, with the tagline reading "If Ted Kennedy drove a Valkswagen, he'd be president today."
  • Reply 8 of 57
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

I'd liken them more to Volkswagen. I been trying to find this National Lampoon poster with a Beetle floating in water, with the tagline reading "If Ted Kennedy drove a Valkswagen, he'd be president today."

why must you compare the two?

i'd say bentley...not the fastest, high prices...but man-o-man are they nice!
  • Reply 9 of 57
    I love how this turned into a car debate...lol, very funnny. Ok, if the mods want to change the BMW in the thread title to (your favorite car company here) or Audi, fine by me. I do prefer VW though. I love my 2003 Jetta .
  • Reply 10 of 57
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    The Volkswagen Group - Audi, Bentley/Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda, and Volkswagen

http://www.volkswagen.de/home_e/konzern/index_.html

http://www.vwgroupsupply.com/VWPortal/Navigation

They are all the same designers
  • Reply 11 of 57
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ever notice that when a car analogy is introduced into a thread or topic, said thread immediately goes to shit?

I agree with filmmakers post above...I'm one of those people completely satisfied and happy with the OS, iApps, the hardware, the design, etc. (yeah, faster, cooler, cheaper is always a wanted option...don't get me wrong). But, to me, this platform is superior in every way. For me and what I do, anyway.

I simply can't worry about others anymore, really. I can only feel sorry for those struggling with their mainstream Windows-based PCs and can't get their scanner to do this, their camera to do that, etc.

But would they ever look to a Mac? No, because all their little dipstick friends fill their heads with "Macs suck" and "Apple filed for bankruptcy last week" nonsense.

I don't give a flying rip about Microsoft. They can stop development on every Mac product they make, and guess what...my life gets affected ZERO.

THAT, my friends, is the position you want to be in. Try it, you'll like it.

• Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

why must you compare the two?

Why not? The G4 Cube's power adapter has already been compared to a Jetta.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

\\I don't give a flying rip about Microsoft. They can stop development on every Mac product they make, and guess what...my life gets affected ZERO.

THAT, my friends, is the position you want to be in. Try it, you'll like it.

AMEN...thanks for the great response!
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Ok guys, there is no way you can compare Apple with Audi, BMW or anything else, just because they aren't the best.

I'm sure you're saying that this is debatable, but clearly everyone will agree on THE BEST:

Mercedes-Benz.

This is the only brand that Apple can be compared to, for they are simply the best.

BMW's designers are somewhat microsoft-esque, just look at the persistant black lining on the bumpers and sides.

Audi isn't a top car.Design isn't chic

Volks Wagen (gimme a break, they're like Dell)

And your sports cars like Aston Martin is out of the game too (they just don't innovate, these british cars just make the outer shell and slap in a third party motor, they're also somehwat limited edition)

So there! How dare you (the topic starter) to compare the Mac to BMW, be ashamed of yourself!

Comments welcome
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

So there! How dare you (the topic starter) to compare the Mac to BMW, be ashamed of yourself!

I'm SORRY...lol. I don't know a damn thing about cars. As a college kid, BMWs are what all my friends are aspiring to getting, so I took it as a symbol of class, status, and the "want" factor. I apologize again . Mods, again, feel free change the name.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Ok guys, there is no way you can compare Apple with Audi, BMW or anything else, just because they aren't the best.

I'm sure you're saying that this is debatable, but clearly everyone will agree on THE BEST:

Mercedes-Benz.

This is the only brand that Apple can be compared to, for they are simply the best.

BMW's designers are somewhat microsoft-esque, just look at the persistant black lining on the bumpers and sides.

Audi isn't a top car.Design isn't chic

Volks Wagen (gimme a break, they're like Dell)

And your sports cars like Aston Martin is out of the game too (they just don't innovate, these british cars just make the outer shell and slap in a third party motor, they're also somehwat limited edition)

i agree mostly...keep up the good work, better then my posts

Comments welcome

not sure what i originally posted but it was more then an and thats all that has seemed to show up oddly enough
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

No. He owns a Honda Accord. I sat in his car once. The European version is 100000x better than the North American version

Glad you liked it mate How about sending me some Email so we can keep in touch? Hope things are going well for you

PS. Sorry for this rather personal message, I know I should have PM'd him.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Kelib, I suppose you own a BMW?

No, but I just can't find a car matching BMW in terms of handling and overall driving experience (Alfa Romeo 147 comes pretty close). They're expensive yes, but BMW is a true Drivers Car Actually I have one BMW in my garage although it won't count here. It's a BMW 2002ti, model 1973 currently under restoration. The best and most reliable car I've ever had is the Honda Accord. Of course it has much better value for money than the BMW although in terms of handling and overall performance the BMW has the edge
  • Reply 19 of 57
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Kelib...

Email coming...you must be working night shift eh? It's like 2:30AM in Copenhagen!
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Kelib...

Email coming...you must be working night shift eh? It's like 2:30AM in Copenhagen!

yeppers, I'm working