Deployment of OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Greetings,

Here's my situation:

no programming experience aside HTML which doesn't count in my opinion

can't get radmindx to work last time I tried 3 weeks ago

Figured out how to netboot any lab in our institution, then using netrestore helper to bring down a customized image. What I am trying to figure out is this:

How can I create some sorta of logout hook which when the student user logs or reboots out will wipe their home directory and place a brand new one in place from a local template that resides on the station. I plan to have it setup where a student logs in but cannot write to their home directories but has a managable directory at outiside their hoem to store data, which in turn leaves it untouched as this logout hook/reboot"hook" takes place.

Any sites of information would be very helpful. I have been looking at the macosxlabs.org site and radminds ihook scripts but as I said I don't have any scripting experience and things make very little sense as I have no scripting/programming experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The article, "Rapid Deployment of Mac OS X with Apple Software Restore" should get you started.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

I plan to have it setup where a student logs in but cannot write to their home directories but has a managable directory at outiside their home to store data, which in turn leaves it untouched as this logout hook/reboot"hook" takes place.

Why do you want to do this? Data is supposed to be stored in home directories.

Check out http://www.macosxlabs.org/
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Why do you want to do this? Data is supposed to be stored in home directories.

Check out http://www.macosxlabs.org/

been checking that site too..will continue to

but here's why I would do such a thing. Student A logs in and screws witha load of program preferences...logs saves work to student directory. leaves. Student B comes in logs in the deault student account and is lost because program doesn't look like it should when launching it ("where are all my photoshop menus??")

Our institution doesn't create individual network logins (which is I think, where LDAP would come it..not sure, but we're not going there anyway). If we put the "student work folder inthe student directory on renewal, it would be wiped unless the script was written to ignore one directory...thats why I am now thinking a student writeable directory elsewhere. Further more the as I said before I really don't know scripting/programming and I'm trying to figure it out as best I can... I have tried Radmind but the last time I just couldn't get get my initial deployment image back up to the server,...gui release seems to either be buggy, or I'm not getting it I may revisit it this coming week. Do you or anyone know of a direct link deeper within osxlabs.org or elsewhere that has some custom scripts that are easily "tweakable" with good commenting? tia
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

Our institution doesn't create individual network logins

I see. In that case, you have to worry about users deleting other people's files, since they all use the same account.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

I see. In that case, you have to worry about users deleting other people's files, since they all use the same account.

This is very true, but the fact that our students work with large (GB) video projects, we wouldn't want to have to manage their vast data needs over the network... even with portable firewire drives.

Anyhow, I thought I would post here as I was looking for anyone who has done something similar or has the expertise to lead me to some direct links. I'll be rumaging through osx labs at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.