"970 Powermacs in September", chirped the little bird

Comments

• Reply 161 of 206
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Huh? He said the connection was with "Two Towers", i.e. Smeagol is the OS for the two tower PowerMacs that Apple will announce. What part of this did you not understand?

He said there's a connection between Smeagol, "the Two Towers" and this rumour about there being "two towers", as if the "Smeagol" name proved it. But Smeagol is just a character from the Lord of the Rings trilogy and doesn't feature exclusively in "The Two Towers".

Which part of that didn't you understand, dimwit?
  • Reply 162 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

oh clive, if i only cared about you enough to tell you who my clients are and who their clients are. think TV (think very very big) think movies think very very big)

honestly, maybe its the case where you are from regarding quark.. but in the entertainment creation capitol of the world, its just how I (and others) have stated.

So, you have some transvestite clients in Bhutan, that's nice. So what?
  • Reply 163 of 206
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    how small?

are you saying possible idevice?
  • Reply 164 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

AppleStore Finland

Why in Finland & Sweden we have shipping in 3-5 weeks and in AppleStore UK has now shipping? I just can't understand.

Because they have to swim across the North Sea.
  • Reply 165 of 206
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I can't be arsed to read the whole of this thread but just to say that Cancom UK (owned by Cancom Germany) are sending out invites to come to their stores on the 27th to see the "new Apple products". What new Apple products would those be I wonder?
  • Reply 166 of 206
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

He said there's a connection between Smeagol, "the Two Towers" and this rumour about there being "two towers", as if the "Smeagol" name proved it. But Smeagol is just a character from the Lord of the Rings trilogy and doesn't feature exclusively in "The Two Towers".

Which part of that didn't you understand, dimwit?

Uh, well duh, we're talking about tower configurations.
  • Reply 167 of 206
    yes an i device. DLD = digital lifestyle device

one that has been speculated on before, but the real use/functionality of this was never really guessed.
  • Reply 168 of 206
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The good news is that there will be new products :

it can be :

-the new towers with the ppc 970

- new imacs

- new powerbook 15 inch

- new displays

That's make a lot of choice.
  • Reply 169 of 206
    Thinksecret.com has a little blurb on "deal breakers" looks like apple is dumping equipment into fortune 500 companies and saying our OSX box can do what your windows and sun boxes are doing..

interesting quote

Quote:

Apple reportedly seeks out Fortune 500 companies that have large installations of UNIX workstations and use high-end software like Cadence.

does anyone know if Cadence is _really_CPU intensive or if the "math" it uses could benefit from altivec?

i like the philosophy of this new effort. very NeXTy..
  • Reply 170 of 206
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Over at macrumors they are talking about a forum at macdoobie where one posted-

Glad you liked my translation of MacBidouille posts, KidRed.

I'm not sure what to think of the posts on the MacBidouille boards. If they were made here on AI, many of us would be questioning them. On the other hand, it does seem like there have been more indistcretions at Apple Europe than here in the US. I also seem to remember certain (Apple) stores receiving palettes of boxes covered by black shrink-wrap plastic. So the boxes with "don't open until..." notes are not that outlandish. Any employee of one of these stores worth his salary wouldn't risk bungeling up his employer's close relationship with Apple.

I remain hopeful.

Escher
  • Reply 171 of 206
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

i like the philosophy of this new effort. very NeXTy..

more like rebels with a cause.
  • Reply 172 of 206
    !! Retro Flashback !!

I remember reading in NeXTWorld* magazine how Next was trojan horsing its way into fortune 500 companies with Nextstep's incredibly short development times and even the lotus spreadsheet "improv"? and its 4 dimensional spreadsheets...

Now we are here, less then a week away from something big(cross fingers) and apple is once again acting like the scrappy underdogs that they are....

Think Different. Think Interesting Times...

ps:

*if anyone has old copies of nextworld magazine i would be interesting in purchasing...
  • Reply 173 of 206
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

you're closer to it than me... Boynton Beach right?

No that's a few hours south. Surely there's a Boynton Beach mac club- the BB boys? Have them recon some intel.
  • Reply 174 of 206
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stalkerdeapplenut

yes an i device. DLD = digital lifestyle device

one that has been speculated on before, but the real use/functionality of this was never really guessed.

Two guesses...

iCam (iChat cam)

iPhone (something other than what we think it is)

Dave's iPhone rant....

Okay we all have neat address books now that can sync everywhere the big problem I see is the one place that we could ALL make the most use of such a feature is when you're at home in your Kitchen, Living Room, Den, etc... Seems funny that all this work is being put into the totally disjointed cell phone world and yet nobody is looking at the almost universal world of 'home phones'.

How many here would buy a normal everyday house phone that could sync an address book with one of your macs? Take it a step further, jave your Mac act as an answering machine...

This could be a fairly cheap device (when compared to cell phones) and wouldn't be have as limited a market (as cell phones) - normal home phones 'just plug in' they don't care if your with AT&T or Verizon or Sprint/MCI or even services like Vonage. Sure I guess they would need a different model for Europe and Japan (but then again maybe not, maybe just the correct adapter).

I dunno... I for one would jump at such a phone...

Dave
  • Reply 175 of 206
  • Reply 176 of 206
    Quote:

Think Different. Think Interesting Times...

You mean.. "Think iTimes!"
  • Reply 177 of 206
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Something heavy -- we may need some weight training -- very large boxes, larger than normal. Why couldn't it be something beyond the Power Mac, maybe the rumored X-Station? These are the first 970 Macintoshes, so why not go for really big and fast? Drop the price on the Power Macs to help them sell out, and then in a couple months or so, introduce the smaller, lower cost 970 Power Mac line?
  • Reply 178 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

I can't be arsed to read the whole of this thread but just to say that Cancom UK (owned by Cancom Germany) are sending out invites to come to their stores on the 27th to see the "new Apple products". What new Apple products would those be I wonder?

This ties in with the rumors of a livecast to Berlin. Why Berlin? I can't see Apple doing a one-off like this unless there's a tie-in with something they are announcing.

But what? Store within a stores in Cancom? An Apple retail store in Berlin? Acquisition of a Berlin software development company?

What?
  • Reply 179 of 206
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    or that old chestnut...

an iPad/small touch screen device.

it just gets more confusing as the days pass!
  • Reply 180 of 206
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

does anyone know if Cadence is _really_CPU intensive or if the "math" it uses could benefit from altivec?

From a quick Google search it looks like it is an IC Design package (did I get the right one?). As a rough guess I would say it probably is not math-bound. Memory bound is more likely. I doubt they would AltiVec optimize it, at least in the first MacOS X version. If it turns into a big market for them and they are compute bound for some reason then we might see AltiVec optimizations, but I doubt it. This is one of those apps that will benefit from 64-bit hardware/OS, however.