Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 681 of 770
    The Apple WWDC page has this bit of text:

"This is the one you don't want to miss!

"Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform and a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther", at Worldwide Developers Conference 2003, June 23-27, in San Francisco."

Now maybe I'm so addled by all the rumors that I'm grasping at straws here...but it seems that the focus is the future of the Mac Platform and the Panther preview is an additional major goodie (to me, "platform" is more indicative of hardware [or hardware and software combined] not software alone - so maybe this is an oblique pointer at the 970, hypertransport etc. - the future Mac platform).

Or maybe I'm just losing it - oh well, not too much longer till we find out - I just hope all this frothy self-induced anticipation is at least partially fulfilled on the 23rd.
  • Reply 682 of 770
    yes maybe i should hold off watching the hulk till after the 23rd.

No 970! AAAAAAAAAAAA! !!HULK WILL SMASH!!
  • Reply 683 of 770
    Hulk will smell bad too!

Future of the Mac Platform...sounds like Apple's way of saying they'll talk about what they expect to happen over the next year or two, like Mr Jobs usually does when he speaks. He goes on about how this technology will do blah and blah, and this, when it is finished, will go bleh and bleh and do guh and buh, and maybe he'll give examples, like they did with that there wireless communication a few shows back.

It doesn't say that they're announcing anything new to be for sale within a month or two, it sounds more like "the future" which means showcasing things like what I said above, and probably not new hardware. Only "What we expect Apple to be doing over the next few years."
  • Reply 684 of 770
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemmingway

Hulk will smell bad too!

Future of the Mac Platform...sounds like Apple's way of saying they'll talk about what they expect to happen over the next year or two, like Mr Jobs usually does when he speaks. . .

I think the quote is, "Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform . . ." In-depth usually means going into quite a bit of detail.
  • Reply 685 of 770
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reductionist

The Apple WWDC page has this bit of text:

"This is the one you don't want to miss!

"Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform and a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther", at Worldwide Developers Conference 2003, June 23-27, in San Francisco."

Now maybe I'm so addled by all the rumors that I'm grasping at straws here...but it seems that the focus is the future of the Mac Platform and the Panther preview is an additional major goodie (to me, "platform" is more indicative of hardware [or hardware and software combined] not software alone - so maybe this is an oblique pointer at the 970, hypertransport etc. - the future Mac platform).

That is the description of almost every WWDC. They ALWAYS talk about the future of the Mac platform.
  • Reply 686 of 770
    Quote:

yes maybe i should hold off watching the hulk till after the 23rd.

No 970! AAAAAAAAAAAA! !!HULK WILL SMASH!!

That's more like it...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 687 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

IDG just announced that Greg Jozwiak will hold the MWCPNY keynote. IMO, this signals that the Steve Jobs keynote at WWDC will focus (almost) exclusively on software, i.e. Panther, and Jozwiak's MWCPNY keynote will focus on (new) hardware. What do you guys think?

Escher

That's it! I think this is the BEST indication yet that there will be some big NEW hardware announcement by Steve at WWDC! Why?

Steve always does the big keynote announcement and then Phil is the follow up keynoter to give the RDF-free vision and demonstrations that gets to the practical aspects of the technology. This is the pattern for Jaquar, FCP and most other new significant features. The fact that a hardware guy is the next big keynote means that he HAS to have something to talk about and that something HAS be announced by Steve!

This is as close to a "confirmed" that Apple ever gives out and this is the first time I feel confident that some cool new hardware will be announced.
  • Reply 688 of 770
    For those thinking that IBM will partner with Apple in the server market while Apple buys out SGI, here is the kind of thing that will put the two squarely at odds...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/b...ection=general

Here IBM is working specifically in the field that Apple is ostensibly focusing on. Here is a digital shop that is using Apple products (Shake) and is able to buy $5-million at a crack. Here is where IBM is pricing "aggressively." Anyone think IBM will let Apple crank out blades or big-iron servers to compete for these contracts? IBM gets money either way, but it is the service contracts and the long-term business relationships that give that market its best margins and stability.
  • Reply 689 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

The fact that a hardware guy is the next big keynote means that he HAS to have something to talk about and that something HAS be announced by Steve!

The fact that "Joz" is keynoting the gutted carcass of the former MWNY is indeed a confirmation of hardware at WWDC. More accurately, it's confirmation that WWDC is MWNY this year.
  • Reply 690 of 770
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

The fact that a hardware guy is the next big keynote means that he HAS to have something to talk about and that something HAS be announced by Steve!

I think you're right, MacGregor. I didn't really think this through before posting. Judging by history, Jobs wouldn't let Jozwiak make significant, groundbreaking hardware announcements. How many times has Jobs announced new software at MWNY only to have Schiller rehash the announcements at Seybold? I imagine Jozwiak will give more details about the new hardware, run some more demos with 64-bit apps, and say: "The PowerMac G5 is now shipping in large quantities."

Can I hold my breath for seven days?

Escher
  • Reply 691 of 770
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I think you're right, MacGregor. I didn't really think this through before posting. Judging by history, Jobs wouldn't let Jozwiak make significant, groundbreaking hardware announcements. How many times has Jobs announced new software at MWNY only to have Schiller rehash the announcements at Seybold? I imagine Jozwiak will give more details about the new hardware, run some more demos with 64-bit apps, and say: "The PowerMac G5 is now shipping in large quantities."

Can I hold my breath for seven days?

Escher

Actually that would go much more along with the rumour about Steve resigning at WWDC that was debated a couple of days ago (was it here or at macnn? ars?). Resign in front of those making the transition to X possible (the developers) and let someone who know about his stuff tell the ones who are supposed to buy it (the customers).

Even if I love Schiller as a teddy bear I would not want him to present the new toys.

"Go left and now right. Now its time to go left aaaannnddd right! Left now? Oh yes"

"stand still...i said STAND STILL GODDAMMIT"
  • Reply 692 of 770
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    (me, playing devils advocate)

re: Mr. Jozwiak's Keynote

Or, it's like many people here are suggesting, that any Apple computers using IBM's 970 won't be available until September. Therefore, no need for Mr. Jobs @ Macworld's CreativePro Expo. Mr. Jozwiak extols the virtues of the digital hub and Apple's integrated hardware strategy.

WWDC may very well be for Panther, with Mr. Jobs casting his best RDF over the developers

Possibly some minor upgrades and/or a new 15" Powerbook with the same G4 and features found in the 12"/17" Powerbooks at either WWDC or Macworld's CreativePro Expo - take your pick.

Here's hoping Macwishpers and other sites or right and Moki is wrong, but I doubt it.

By the way Moki, how would a September intoduction of Apple computers with IBM's 970 be "sandbagging", makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 693 of 770
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    new xserve is probably a given

so some of those 970 chips may go there...or not....is this the heavy moki mentions...

g
  • Reply 694 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

new xserve is probably a given

so some of those 970 chips may go there...or not....is this the heavy moki mentions...

g

OSX server....not xserve.

PS rickag, yer a downer.
  • Reply 695 of 770
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yes but hes saying if OSXServer panther is 64 bit there will be 970 xserves
  • Reply 696 of 770
    Moving to TI...
  • Reply 697 of 770
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    There are reports of deliveries to Apple-selling stores of two types of boxes, one laptop sized and one bigger. Might the "laptop-sized" one actually hold new Xserves, given that laptops and Xserves have a similar form factor?
  • Reply 698 of 770
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

From MacRumors.com

Interestingly enough, Apple Stores are also receiving palettes this week which are not to be opened until Monday afternoon (June 23rd). These reports indicate that at least some new products with immediate availability after WWDC's opening day.

***CONFIRMED***
  • Reply 699 of 770
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    How can 970s not be released?

If Apple demos it and says release wont be till September then no one would buy the current Power Macs, maybe only if Apple slashed the prices in half, but we know that wont happen.

Or the other possibility is that Apple will have no mention of Power Macs, but that seems to slim regarding the avalanche of rumors, even at grains of salt they can have mountainous truth!

So we're getting 970s in less than a week!

I'm officially iNsANe :P
  • Reply 700 of 770
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

How can 970s not be released?

If Apple demos it and says release wont be till September then no one would buy the current Power Macs.

One word: preorders.

There's a very good chance you'll be able to buy a 970 next week. When you get it is another question entirely.