Gentoo coming to OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Not sure if anyone has noticed this or not and it would sure make a better alternative to fink.

Gentoo Linux and portage for OSX

Worth a discussion at least?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Portage is coming, not Linux

So yeah, it's a third alternative to fink and DarwinPorts. Portage, like fink, allows you to install packages from source (automatic fetching, compilation and installation), but unlike fink, there are additional settings like "optimize for AltiVec" "include / exclude this plug-in" etc. which you can tweak.

And maybe it'll turn out to be easier? People moan about fink, although I think it's quite okay already. I hear DarwinPorts aims to be easier once you've set up the basics.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    CHECK IT OUT!!!! LiveCD's from Gentoo allow you to run Linux off of a CD!! I'm Downloading it now!

A KNOPPIX for Mac!! FINALLY!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Wow! I'm stoked on Portage for OSX! I'm both an OSX user and Gentoo user.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    the live cd is very nice, fast and lean.

i think portage will be a better alternative to fink, i've used fink for about 4 months and for me it seems to be a little slow (with apples x11) having used gentoo the portage system is far superior to fink, but we'll wait and see how it fairs on OSX.

With fink, portage, darwin ports and osx all under one roof gives linux users on x86 every excuse to migrate to ppc.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

the live cd is very nice, fast and lean.

i think portage will be a better alternative to fink, i've used fink for about 4 months and for me it seems to be a little slow (with apples x11) having used gentoo the portage system is far superior to fink, but we'll wait and see how it fairs on OSX.

With fink, portage, darwin ports and osx all under one roof gives linux users on x86 every excuse to migrate to ppc.

cybermonkey: were you able to get it running with the X Server, with the internet and MOL working?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

cybermonkey: were you able to get it running with the X Server, with the internet and MOL working?

are you talking about the livecd?

yes i got the x running on me ADC flat panel using Xeasyconf which is a first for me as all the other dists dont like ADC.

then a simple startx and were away. As for the internet i connect through a router so was straight forward, I havent tried MOL yet.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

are you talking about the livecd?

yes i got the x running on me ADC flat panel using Xeasyconf which is a first for me as all the other dists dont like ADC.

then a simple startx and were away. As for the internet i connect through a router so was straight forward, I havent tried MOL yet.

How did you get the net working? I couldnt figure it out. I have DSL... Would I have to input the DNS numbers from my ISP in order for my ethernet port to be found? Oh and MOL doesnt seem to be on the disc... As well as IM programs like GAIM etc.....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    IIRC, there are different live cds w/ different package collections(?).

Anyway, if all else fails, try:

dhcpcd eth0

for ethernet, and:

dhcpcd eth1

for airport

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

IIRC, there are different live cds w/ different package collections(?).

Anyway, if all else fails, try:

dhcpcd eth0

for ethernet, and:

dhcpcd eth1

for airport

Hope this helps!

I've tried that.. It seems to have done something but it in fact did nothing. MOL isnt on the KDE CD either.. o_0 Any suggestions?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Not sure if anyone has noticed this or not and it would sure make a better alternative to fink.

Gentoo Linux and portage for OSX

Worth a discussion at least?

The alliance of Fink, Darwinports and Gentoo should bring lots of goodies in an easier way. And having a new site for the effort doesn't hurt either:

http://www.metapkg.org

The other exciting development (more at WWDC) is the Qt/Mac release from Trolltech. The world of Mac is getting bigger, and less isolated, with every link to Open Source apps.

• Reply 11 of 12
    yaroyaro Posts: 2member
    I downloaded the gnome version. How do I activate the gnome-wm? I get the default wm: fw.

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

I've tried that.. It seems to have done something but it in fact did nothing. MOL isnt on the KDE CD either.. o_0 Any suggestions?

Hmm... try forums.gentoo.org and scroll to the bottom and try the Gentoo/PPC forum. They're very helpful.