Broken FireWire HD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Summary is that my brothers firewire drive all of the sudden started giving the error that no readable partitions were available on it. It also when i first give it power gives a different reading noise then it used to...it sounds like (keep in mind sounds like from my lack of knowledge of hd's) it is trying to find something but can't. I think that because it gives the same pattern of sounds like 3 times in a row and then quits.

So what are my options, is there any way to format it without deleting the stuff (i guess not zeroing all data) and then trying to unerase stuff?

any help, i tried norton but it doesn't recognize it, disk utility does though

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I assume its an OSX mac.

While rebooting hold down command-s.

at the prompt do a 'df'.

You should see something like

Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capac Mounted

/dev/disk2s6 16496312 14262752 2068600 87% /

devfs 203 203 0 100% /dev

fdesc 2 2 0 100% /dev

now do a 'fsck -y /dev/rdisk2s6'

Remember to replace the disk2s6 with whatever you have as a root disk.

This might help dix the problem.

If you do have drive errors.

Put the drive in another machine and copy the data.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    well the drive doesn't work on either OS X computer we have. its also not a root disk, just a data and backup type stuff, but it does have lots of information that is valuble

i'll try that (or some measure of it) and see what i get

thanks by the way
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Summary is that my brothers firewire drive all of the sudden started giving the error that no readable partitions were available on it.

This wouldn't by any chance be a QPS Que!M3 Firewire drive, would it? Nasty pieces of work, those...

- S
  • Reply 4 of 4
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    My roommate ran into this with his SmartDisk Firelite 30 GB. His OS X iBook wouldn't read it, nor could my TiBook in OS X. But when I rebooted into OS 9.2, it read fine, and afterwards it did in OS X too. Weird, but at least we didn't lose any data.