Welcome to Temporary Insanity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Be sure to read the announcement link above before posting!

READ THIS FIRST: Does your post belong here?

Temporary Insanity's power patrol of administrators and moderators includes Amorph, Brad, Jonathan, Jamie, alcimedes, applenut, Bodhi, Fran441, Kickaha, LoCash, murbot, and Powerdoc. Watch yourselves out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    With the exception of the threads that will be moved, wont this entire forum be deleted after WWDC? Therefore all of those posts go down the drain...and the post counts...

• Reply 2 of 35
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I think these Temporary Insanity forums should be archived into a read-only forum entitled "Mental Lapses and Apple Announcement Induced Rumor Benders."
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

and the post counts...

I cite the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:

8. Spamming will not be tolerated. Spamming can be defined as either posting excessively with no content or with commercial intent. Neither definition is acceptable here. In general, do not use the forums for personal gain or to boost your post count.

• Reply 4 of 35
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Regardless of the post count, isn't it quite a waste to lose all these wonderful discussions? I mean, imagine if JYD's exploit was contained in this forum... we'd want it for posterity, no?

I realize that of course it is not, but I can imagine there will be some (cough) great conversations that we will (cough, cough) want to look back on with (hack, cough, hack) pride.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Regardless of the post count, isn't it quite a waste to lose all these wonderful discussions? I mean, imagine if JYD's exploit was contained in this forum... we'd want it for posterity, no?

I realize that of course it is not, but I can imagine there will be some (cough) great conversations that we will (cough, cough) want to look back on with (hack, cough, hack) pride.

Since so much accurate insider information is talked about, Appleinsider has to cover up the trail before Apple Legal can track down the sources by reading the old threads.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I cite the Posting Guidelines:

You know I don't spam. I'm not the sort to post one liners in every thread I can though I have absolutely nothing to say. I've just had my post count reduced numerous times by forum deletions (Fireside Chat, Silicon Alley, the old Temp. Insanity come to mind.) I've had it reinstated, and while back it reverted once more. And it's starting to get a little old.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are there saved copies of those old forums? I remember some good topics that were covered...
  • Reply 8 of 35
    As I said before, threads will be moved to their appropriate forums. We'll do our best to be sure most things are salvaged are put where they belong.

We've got another full week before you guys really should even be worried about this. We haven't decided yet exactly when and how we'll close the forum, but I assure you that relevant topics will be salvaged and kept and put in their relevant forums. Don't concern yourselves about it now. As far as you know, every single last post may be saved.

As for the spam thing, note the phrase I singled-out from that post. It wasn't meant just for you, Spart, but for anyone that shares that concern. Are people here really uptight about this counter? Need I reiterate my point about quality versus quantity? I suppose I could just disable the "Count posts made in this forum towards user post counts?" option for TI, but I don't think that's really necessary at this point.

Just chill. It's not that big a deal, mm-kay?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Need I point out that you had at one point cheated on your post count by around 4000 posts? I suppose those were some really quality nonexistent messages...

And yet you say the number doesn't matter...
  • Reply 10 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Need I point out that you had at one point cheated on your post count by around 4000 posts? I suppose those were some really quality nonexistent messages...

And yet you say the number doesn't matter...

Brad did not cheat, it's was just a technical problems with V-bulletin. Brad is the man who enhance and fix the problems for you here.

And i think 6000 post is sufficiant ...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Brad did not cheat, it's was just a technical problems with V-bulletin. Brad is the man who enhance and fix the problems for you here.

And i think 6000 post is sufficiant ...

Not what I heard from Jon when I asked him about my volatile post count (about the cheating, I agree that he's awesome otherwise.)

• Reply 12 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Not what I heard from Jon when I asked him about my volatile post count (about the cheating, I agree that he's awesome otherwise.)

If it can help you , i have lost some 600 posts during the transition to Vb : post from SA, post from Fireside Chat althought i moderate this ****ing forum.

However i think my post count is sufficiently high now ...
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Yeah, I had mine restored by an admin after the transition, but it went back down again.

• Reply 14 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Temporary insanity is an understatement...

Soon enough there are going to be a screenful of names appearing in the "whose online" section befre I even see the thread titles
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Yeah. We know that we'll set a new record for users online at some point on the 23rd. The current one is 864, and that was set on the 28th of April, during the Apple Music Store/iTunes 4 announcement.

So who's taking bets on the new number?

My guess: 1284.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I bet 0...

I mean, not that I want AI forums to go down, but... I have a feeling it's inevitable.

----------

Hey, lookey - Smeagol is back up! (And it's not hosted off of brad's page anymore)
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Of course they will go down. It would be a departure from long-held tradition if they didn't.

Hopefully the number we will be at when the forums do go down will be saved.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    guys some of the old forums are saved

its fun to see some of the old predictions like the below from dorsal in 2001:

--------------------------------------

Author Topic: Prototype G4 machines - revised Dorsal

posted 02 March 2001 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dorsal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Hello people. This has been an exciting time for us here, as last week we received some prototype PowerMacs with a few surprises. They came in new enclosers never before seen. These appear to be still a work in progress, but from the little I can say, they are spectacularly designed. Imagine a 17" Cinema display crossed with the present G4 tower case.

Motherboard.This machine is very similar to the older "UMA2" machine in our posession a while back. A basic rundown of motherboard features: a 300pin sawtooth CPU card connector, 3 DDR-SDRAM DIMM slots, 4 PCI slots in 33MHz configuration, modem slot pads and integrated Airport (Lucent), AGPx4 slot with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX chipset. Board is also slightly smaller in dimensions. ATA is still 66 in these units. System bus is still a double pumped 133MHz bus from memory controller to CPU and Memory controller to SDRAM. 133MHz bus to the peripheral controller chip. Firewire finally at 800Mbps but there is no USB 2 on any of our prototypes. Sound is the same as the "UMA1.5" systems.

Processors.3 different processor cards. The first is a PPC 7440 with 256KB of L2 cache and no L3 cache. This one runs at 600MHz. The midrange one is a 7450 with 1MB of L3 cache and frequency is bumped to 733MHz. The last one is a dual processor: 2 x 733MHz. Speed is remarkable on all these units.

notes:

The DP unit crashed a few times so far. We think it may have heat issues, and not so much board issues.

All DDR SDRAM is certified and half the DIMMS we put in would not work in the motherboard. The board is much more stable because of this.

Very fast machines. Even the 7440 is very speedy compared to the 667MHz "UMA1.5" we have in here now.

IP: Logged

HHogan

posted 02 March 2001 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HHogan Click Here to Email HHogan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Finally Dorsal has come back to A.I.... If the DDR pans out, this will be a bitchin year for sure!

Alcimedes

posted 02 March 2001 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alcimedes Click Here to Email Alcimedes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

hmm, double processors would be nice if they go back down that road.

too bad it's still 133mhz, other than that, sounds interesting.

any more poop you can give us Dorsal?

just please be careful.

-alcimedes

Treky

posted 02 March 2001 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

You two seem pretty convinced he's telling the truth. Who is this guy and what credibility does he have?

HHogan

posted 02 March 2001 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HHogan Click Here to Email HHogan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

He 'predicted' the entire revamp of PowerMacs at MWSF with like the exact speeds.

Stealth

posted 02 March 2001 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stealth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Dorsal said he first got prototypes of the Jan 2001 Powermacs around 01/10/00; thats 3 months before us mere mortals saw them.

Working on the same sort of timeframe, these puppies should be ready around early June.

MWNY anyone!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

Dorsal

• Reply 20 of 35
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    You know Spart, one might make the argument that buy arguing about your post count on this thread, you are doing nothing but boosting your post count if the forum still exists after it is shut-down.

I say we hit 2000 members on at one time, or ~20% of our registered user base. It is a Stevenote after all, plus all those darn kids are home for the summer.