Gays & Lesbians in the Middle East.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Something that was mentioned about Hamas etc made me wonder how gay men & women fare in the middle east

This is an interesting quiz :

Http://expmagazine.com/121/varnell.htm

And while we're at it here is another enlightened leader voicing his opinions..( I know it's a bit old but the oppresion still goes on ).

Http://allafrica.com/stories/200207020677.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Something that was mentioned about Hamas etc made me wonder how gay men & women fare in the middle east

This is an interesting quiz :

Http://expmagazine.com/121/varnell.htm

Well thats not anything new. When I was in Israel I met a very liberal attitude towards subcultures. Even some european countries could learn from Israel.
  • Reply 2 of 154
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The Arab world is just backwards.

Honor Killing Deportation

Click the link and listen to the audio.
  • Reply 3 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The Arab world is just backwards.

And american politics are cruel
  • Reply 4 of 154
    Is this were I say something that's true and then you all call me a racist for it?

Check this out. France has joined forces with the Iranian government to squash the movement for freedom and democracy. Way to go France ... PLEASE STOP!
  • Reply 5 of 154
    Quote:

Is this were I say something that's true and then you all call me a racist for it?

Both would be a first You must be mistaking me for someone else.
  • Reply 6 of 154
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I wonder what the point is of that quiz, and of this discussion in general. Is this new information in any way? Did you forget an Israeli TRANSSEXUAL aced the Eurosong festival some 5 years ago? How mainstream can you go? And on the other side of the fence. Middle Eastern islamic countries seem to take their mores seriously. What's the point of another black-white discussion. MAKE IT STOP!
  • Reply 7 of 154
    Their mores are the problem.
  • Reply 8 of 154
    Quote:

Their mores are the problem.

So? What are you going to do about it, except bitch and moan?
  • Reply 9 of 154
    To explain my bluntness: this is a fact which is known, documented and pretty unlikely to spring fresh and tingling discussion (seeing most will have to agree that Israel is 'more liberated' than its neighbours in this respect), leading me to the question: what is the point of this non-discussion?
  • Reply 10 of 154
    I think this explains it

Quote:

Scott wants to pick a fight
  • Reply 11 of 154
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Check this out. France has joined forces with the Iranian government to squash the movement for freedom and democracy. Way to go France ... PLEASE STOP!

Check it out! France has arrested members of an organisation the US considers to be a terrorist group! Those bastards!

Scotty, please could you publish the guide to "good" terrorists and "bad" ones?

And how do we tell when someone crosses the line (actually, the US is pretty bad at that so forget that bit).

Oh, and American politics *are* cruel every bit as the Arab world is backward.
  • Reply 12 of 154
    Look, I'm off to a job interview now, and I hope this thread will be locked when I get back. Thank you.
  • Reply 13 of 154
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

To explain my bluntness: this is a fact which is known, documented and pretty unlikely to spring fresh and tingling discussion (seeing most will have to agree that Israel is 'more liberated' than its neighbours in this respect), leading me to the question: what is the point of this non-discussion?

Der Kopf,

Not everyone is in tune with the facts as you are.

It is a discussion to which your welcome to add something or not, as you choose.

I am sure you have insights of merit.

It might be worth considering that AI members come from all walks of life in the real world, & therefore may take these issues further; maybe talking to their members of parliament, congress, or whatever...

It's not just about Israel being more liberated its about comparisons, its about asking why ?

I might add, I also added President Mugabe.

Pehaps I should also have added Dr Mahathir & the trumped up charges of sodomy against the opposition leader Dr Anwar...

But then you know all the answers ?

Or will Hamas blowing up a few gay bars in Brussels get your attention ?\

I also might add, I am interested in reading what other AI people think in regards to these matters.

Ps Good luck with the interview.
  • Reply 14 of 154
    Quote:

Or will Hamas blowing up a few gay bars in Brussels get your attention ?\

Hamas? Blow up bars?

Wasn´t this about gay and lesbian rights?
  • Reply 15 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hamas? Blow up bars?

Wasn´t this about gay and lesbian rights?

Yes.

Sorry Anders, I was being " Ironic " ie using Ironic humour ( the reference to bars ) to illustrate an ironic position.

Maybe I've got Der Kopf wrong but for some reason he seems to have got it into his head that once a discussion has been discussed that thats the end of the discussion as it concerns the treatment of Gays. Err...I think that's what I meant to say . \
  • Reply 16 of 154
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

.....an Israeli TRANSSEXUAL

An Israeli change his DNA? Added that Y chromosome?

This is a major scientific breakthrough!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 154
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

An Israeli change his DNA? Added that Y chromosome?

This is a major scientific breakthrough!!!!!

No, I think it was maybe just the " matching outfit " gene.
  • Reply 18 of 154
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

No, I think it was maybe just the " matching outfit " gene.

....chromosome envy?

• Reply 19 of 154
    Quote:

So? What are you going to do about it, except bitch and moan?

Tell people so they know. OR I could use the Euopean method. Which seems to be pull their heads out of thier ass long enoug to stick it in the sand.
  • Reply 20 of 154
    Quote:

Tell people so they know. OR I could use the Euopean method. Which seems to be pull their heads out of thier ass long enoug to stick it in the sand.

And "we" are the anti-americans?

Please find someone else to play with