Virtual PC 6 trouble

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got and installed VPC 6. I went through the setup deal to put my own copy of Windows OS from the cd belonging to my folks computer. But when I start up the virtual pc I keep getting, "OS not found, install OS." I am stuck here because I can't get to setup.exe because there is no way for me to boot the cd for some reason. BTW its a full version of Windows ME. HELP!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, the first problem is that it's ME. ME sucks. even for MS ME sucks. you should be able to set VPC 6 to be able to boot off of a CD. after doing so, restart the computer and it should read the CD in your drive and try to boot off of it.

if you can, try to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro. if those are both unavailable, try Windows 98. if you can't get that either, then try XP Home. if that isn't available, then go winME.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    woah cool I didn't know I could do that buy virtual pc without having to pay for the OS... coolness
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I believe MicroSnort named ME for

...Windows Mistake Edition

XP... Windows eXtra Problems

(the XP one was from my boss as I mentioned the Mistake Edition...)

My advice...

Win98se or Win2000
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'd go for 98SE. It's the fastest under and Virtual PC environment. Actually 95 is, but lots of programs arn't supported by 95
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'm asssuming that you have Windows ME in your list of systems. In the settings for it, make sure that under CD/DVD you have booting allowed.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I just got and installed VPC 6. I went through the setup deal to put my own copy of Windows OS from the cd belonging to my folks computer. But when I start up the virtual pc I keep getting, "OS not found, install OS." I am stuck here because I can't get to setup.exe because there is no way for me to boot the cd for some reason. BTW its a full version of Windows ME. HELP!!!

Is it really a "full" version or an OEM version of ME?

It's been a while since I installed VPC6, so this may not be 100% correct, but typically it will boot up to a\. In VPC5 and earlier, you had to use a special start up floppy image to get it to do that, and to be able to give you a c\ prompt. In VPC6, I thought that was built in.

I've installed ME on VPC5 and 6, so it should work. Check the Connectix forums for more detailed help.