System Preferences duplicate icons

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
All of a sudden, in my system preferences, a duplicate icon for my "Energy Saver" showed up at the bottom under the "Other" section. Any idea how I can get rid of this? If I change the settings in one, they do update correctly on the other. One of those things really bothering me. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I now have three "Iomega Active Delivery" icons in my "Other" Preferences, so I'm also looking forward to hearing a reply...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Delete the caches and restart.

See the thread that Paul posted.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Okay guys this is a simple one. There are three places were your Preference Panes are stored, they are:

/Library/Preference Panes

/System/Library/Preference Panes

/Users/(Your User Name Here)/Library/Preference Panes

In these folders there is probly a duplicate file that your system thinks is a Preference Pane, delete it. Sometimes a program will save its .plist file in the wrong place....these things happen.......geist
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Okay guys this is a simple one.

Actually, I've never seen a case where the system's own preference panes actually get duplicated as *files* through the PreferencePanes directories. Every instance I've experienced or read about is from the cache bug.

Important correction with your post anyhow: "PreferencePanes" is one word, no space.