File Sharing Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all.

A while back, I installed sharepoints so I could log into some external drives on my G4 from my wife's XP box. Recently, I had to do an archive and install on my G4, and for some reason, sharepoints doesn't work anymore even though I've reinstalled it. In fact, the G4 doesn't even show up from my wife's XP machine. None of the shares that I have set up appear from my other OS X Mac, although I can mount the normal, non-sharepoint shares.

Can anyone give me a hand getting this up and running again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Hi all.

A while back, I installed sharepoints so I could log into some external drives on my G4 from my wife's XP box. Recently, I had to do an archive and install on my G4, and for some reason, sharepoints doesn't work anymore even though I've reinstalled it. In fact, the G4 doesn't even show up from my wife's XP machine. None of the shares that I have set up appear from my other OS X Mac, although I can mount the normal, non-sharepoint shares.

Can anyone give me a hand getting this up and running again?

I would make sure they are both on the same workgroup, but I would also check and make sure that the XP machine is setup properly.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jesuspower

I would make sure they are both on the same workgroup, but I would also check and make sure that the XP machine is setup properly.

Hi! Thanks for the response.

I neglected to mention that the XP box sees the G4 in its workgroup (Samba 2.somethingsomething), but it just won't let me log in from it. The real problem here is 1) that I have no idea how to set up the XP box if the problem is on its end and 2) I don't understand why the shares aren't showing up like they ought on any of the machines. I'm fairly convinced, because of this, that the problem is on the G4.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Hi! Thanks for the response.

I neglected to mention that the XP box sees the G4 in its workgroup (Samba 2.somethingsomething), but it just won't let me log in from it. The real problem here is 1) that I have no idea how to set up the XP box if the problem is on its end and 2) I don't understand why the shares aren't showing up like they ought on any of the machines. I'm fairly convinced, because of this, that the problem is on the G4.

Cheers

Scott

What are the permissions on the folders?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

What are the permissions on the folders?

Rather than type them all out, here's an image of the sharepoints application:

click

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 5 of 16
    OK, um...

The only thing I can think of is when the XP Box ask for the username and password, the UserName should be in G4name\\username

And maybe inherit should be on. I don't really know. Sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Say enable windows sharing first off... also do the same in your network preferences turn on windows file sharing. also the xp box doesn't have its firewall turned on correct?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Say enable windows sharing first off... also do the same in your network preferences turn on windows file sharing. also the xp box doesn't have its firewall turned on correct?

Now this is very interesting. After turning off windows fileshare in both sharepoints (disabled each share) and then in the file sharing prefs, then re-enabling fileshare in sharepoints, when I try to access the workgroup in my network places from the XP box, the XP machine times out and says "workgroup is not accessible."

Keep 'em coming guys!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Wow. Well, restarting an XP machine fixes 98% of it's problems.

I wish I there to tinker with it. hmmm...

Sorry I could not be of any help. Hope you find the solution.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Wow. Well, restarting an XP machine fixes 98% of it's problems.

I wish I there to tinker with it. hmmm...

Sorry I could not be of any help. Hope you find the solution.

Well, this is a change, at least.

Update: after turning filesharing back on on the G4, the XP box doesn't see the G4 *at all* on the network.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    search for it. Press F3 in "My network Places".
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

search for it. Press F3 in "My network Places".

Ok. Now the XP box sees it (and what on EARTH is up with the stupid tail-wagging dog?!?), but still won't let me log in.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I had smb services on a linux box bitch slap me for a day just because of a case-sensitive login name issue. I had the user nam "John" and the PC machine name as john.

I pulled my hair out removed John and added john and all was well.

I would imagine you have tried that already, though.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    OK, try this as the username(in that format anyway: computer\\user):

thenameoftheG4goeshere\\yourusernameontheG4

and the password would be the password used to log in to the G4
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

OK, try this as the username(in that format anyway: computer\\user):

thenameoftheG4goeshere\\yourusernameontheG4

and the password would be the password used to log in to the G4

Nope. No dice. I noticed while I was messing around in system prefs that Appletalk was not on, and so I turned it on. But still no dice.

Something is clearly messed up with sharepoints, since none of the shares defined in sharepoints show up on any other puter in the house.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I had smb services on a linux box bitch slap me for a day just because of a case-sensitive login name issue. I had the user nam "John" and the PC machine name as john.

I pulled my hair out removed John and added john and all was well.

I would imagine you have tried that already, though.

Just tried on a lark, Ena, and it was no good.

This is driving me up. the. friggin'. wall.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 16 of 16
    enaena Posts: 667member
    [begin half-baked linux advice]

this has to do with wins support, but could they both be trying to be "local masters" or "preferred masters" of the network?

I keep wins support on, but keep the linux system from bossing the other PCs around.

[end half-baked linux advice]