iTunes for Windows reaches Alpha?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got this sent to me: http://artificialcheese.com/special/itunes/

There's no way to tell if it's real or not, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Photoshop job or even Virtual PC, but, hey, might be of interest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    There is no way Apple would make iTunes like that. Maybe they don't have much control over UI elements on Windows, but that thing sucks.

Maybe someone with more expierence can clear this up for me, but does Apple have much control of design elements in Windows? I figured they would find a way to implement Aqua on an application-level.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    keep in mind its alpha not beta

i dont believe it though that it is the real alpha

it reminds me too much of a program i saw where they were trying to imitate OS X...you have enough control on a PC to make it look like OS X's iTunes i'm pretty sure
  • Reply 3 of 31
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Looks totally doctored to me. Their 1600x1200 high-res "screenshot" has clear marks from cutting and pasting Windows type onto a Mac iTunes screenshot pasted onto a Windows desktop screenshot.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 31
    *shudders*

The fonts and columns in the iTunes window looks more like Linux in the screenshot.

I don't think Apple will try to emulate the iTunes for Mac interface on Windows. I'm thinking it'll have a QuickTime for Windows-like interface.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    worst photochop ever
  • Reply 6 of 31
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

worst photochop ever

indeed.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    Fake. If you want to see how iTunes will look, check out Quicktime on Windows.

The dead giveaway here (besides the horrible Windows-ish columns) is the window controls. Their still set up for OS X and not Windows. They should be on the right and resemble the Windows controls like they do in Quicktime.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    batobinbatobin Posts: 3member
    I think it's funny that some of you so vehemently believe this is photoshopped when I have the actual .exe sitting right here on my hard drive. I just posted a reply on my own forum addressing many concerns that this is photoshopped. If that doesn't convince you, email me and we can work something out.

As I also explained in my post, this could still be a hoax. The application sucks pretty bad. If this was made by Apple, it didn't take them very long. If it wasn't made by Apple, it didn't take them very long either. But then again, it's claimed to be alpha software. Alpha doesn't need to be very good...
  • Reply 9 of 31
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by batobin

I think it's funny that some of you so vehemently believe this is photoshopped when I have the actual .exe sitting right here on my hard drive. I just posted a reply on my own forum addressing many concerns that this is photoshopped. If that doesn't convince you, email me and we can work something out.

As I also explained in my post, this could still be a hoax. The application sucks pretty bad. If this was made by Apple, it didn't take them very long. If it wasn't made by Apple, it didn't take them very long either. But then again, it's claimed to be alpha software. Alpha doesn't need to be very good...

Contact me. Jonathan at appleinsider dot com

I'm very interested in this.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    jon, i assume you'll tell us ur findings afterwards?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Very sh¡tty job.

• Reply 12 of 31
    i have three files which purport to be itunes for windows.

i'll let you know what I find.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    i can confirm that it is an actual executable file and those were not photoshopped.

i will not send this to you.

full report coming shortly.
  • Reply 14 of 31
  • Reply 15 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    holy crap.... whats in the readme?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I think some of you owe me an apology.

Achem. Achem.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    readme file:

Quote:

This is only alpha_stage software.

Currently supported features are:

1. Drag&Drop MP3 songs to main list

2. Add files thorugh menu

3. You can skip forward/backward

4. You can do Shuffle and Repeat options

5. You can skip through song timebar, click to desired point and player

will skip to that position

6. You can adjust volume

7. Use "+" button to Add MP3 files to list

8. Use search box to find first file that matches criteria

• Reply 18 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    looks like they are building a new app rather then "porting" the existing iTunes...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I'll be posting a video of this app in action shortly.

You can judge for yourselves whether or not you think it's The Real Deal?.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone else find it interesting and/or funny that apple isn't even bothering to try to integrate the look and feel into windows at all? (i.e. the brushed aluminum texture, the red/yellow/green widgets)

i wonder if that will change, or if this is a "lead by example" piece of software," or a "f*ck 'em" approach.

anyway, i thought it intersting.