What's so great about 10? newbie question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi! I just bought a eMac to replace my old iMac DV SE. I have been getting used to OS X and think it's an OK OS but not great. OS X seems slower than 9. Mostly when I'm on the internet. What are the advantages of X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    how much ram do you have?

I could never even think about comparing Mac OS 9 to X

its like a whole new world

A so much better world
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I have 384mb of ram. I find OS X kinda slow ( but very graceful! ). I've heard X is memory hungry. Maybe after I insrall more ram things will work a little faster.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Just to name a few core advantages of OSX over OS9 off the top of my head without getting into any specific applications, here's a very brief list. These are just the things that I think most new users would notice or appreciate immediately after switching from Classic Mac OS. I could literally go on all afternoon and night if I started naming *all* the great apps and features that only work in OSX.
    • No more manual memory management.

• No more memory fragmentation.

• Automatic and dynamic memory allocation.

• Apps don't crash other apps.

• Apps don't crash the system.

• Superior system stability that easily leads to uptimes in *months*.

• No more "Extensions Manager" and need to enable/disable control panels or extensions.

• Network changes apply instantly.

• Built-in fullly-configurable firewall, Samba, FTP server, Apache web sharing, remote SSH login, and NAT internet sharing.

• Double-buffered graphics mean no more "eraser" redraw effect when switching apps and windows.

• Proper text antialiasing (as opposed to "font smoothing").

• Sub-pixel antialiasing for LCD screens.

• More apps are bundled as single-icon packages for easy installation, moving, and deletion.

• Logical multiuser filesystem structure.

• Multiuser file permissions with separate global, group, and owner settings.

• The menu bar is arranged more logically with the Apple, application, and other menus.

• "Sheets" are attached to windows rather than throwing up floating or modal dialogs that can get lost in the old window-layering method.

• Proper menu-tasking and mouse-tasking (when you click and hold the mouse button, the apps don't freeze and stop processing like in OS9)

• The Dock.

• Quartz and Quartz Extreme provide advanced, fast system-wide graphics manipulation.

• Localizations for other languages are easier to maintain.

• Live window-dragging and live scrolling.

• System-wide spell checking and other services.

• Universal access options for zooming, speaking, inverting screen, full keyboard access to menus and controls, and controlling the mouse movements via keyboard.

• Apps aren't allowed to hog 100% of the CPU(s).

and last but CERTAINLY not least

• The super-powerful command line. It's not DOS. If you equate command line interfaces like this with DOS, you're really selling yourself short. The "tcsh" and other shells for the command line offer fast, powerful commands that can act on each other in a wonderful way for advanced users. Another plus? If you don't want to use it, you'll *never* have to look at it.

• Reply 4 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    BTW, OS X loves RAM and will use as much as you give it at pretty much all times. It will try to keep as much info cached in fast RAM as possible, with the most recent and important stuff prioritized. The more it can keep in RAM and not write between RAM and your hard drive (temporary files, or "swap" files), the faster your system will feel.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Whoops! This belongs in the Mac OS X forum -- moving now.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clintphare

OS X seems slower than 9. Mostly when I'm on the internet. What are the advantages of X?

Make sure you aren't using Internet Explorer. Download Safari, Camino or OmniWeb 4.5 beta if you haven't already.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Just to name a few core advantages of OSX over OS9 off the top of my head without getting into any specific applications, here's a very brief list. These are just the things that I think most new users would notice or appreciate immediately after switching from Classic Mac OS. I could literally go on all afternoon and night if I started naming *all* the great apps and features that only work in OSX.

No more manual memory management.
    No more memory fragmentation.
    Automatic and dynamic memory allocation.
    Apps don't crash other apps.
    Apps don't crash the system.
    Superior system stability that easily leads to uptimes in *months*.
    No more "Extensions Manager" and need to enable/disable control panels or extensions.
    Network changes apply instantly.
    Built-in fullly-configurable firewall, Samba, FTP server, Apache web sharing, remote SSH login, and NAT internet sharing.
    Double-buffered graphics mean no more "eraser" redraw effect when switching apps and windows.
    Proper text antialiasing (as opposed to "font smoothing").
    Sub-pixel antialiasing for LCD screens.
    More apps are bundled as single-icon packages for easy installation, moving, and deletion.
    Logical multiuser filesystem structure.
    Multiuser file permissions with separate global, group, and owner settings.
    The menu bar is arranged more logically with the Apple, application, and other menus.
    "Sheets" are attached to windows rather than throwing up floating or modal dialogs that can get lost in the old window-layering method.
    Proper menu-tasking and mouse-tasking (when you click and hold the mouse button, the apps don't freeze and stop processing like in OS9)
    The Dock.
    Quartz and Quartz Extreme provide advanced, fast system-wide graphics manipulation.
    Localizations for other languages are easier to maintain.
    Live window-dragging and live scrolling.
    System-wide spell checking and other services.
    Universal access options for zooming, speaking, inverting screen, full keyboard access to menus and controls, and controlling the mouse movements via keyboard.
    Apps aren't allowed to hog 100% of the CPU(s).

and last but CERTAINLY not least

The super-powerful command line. It's not DOS. If you equate command line interfaces like this with DOS, you're really selling yourself short. The "tcsh" and other shells for the command line offer fast, powerful commands that can act on each other in a wonderful way for advanced users. Another plus? If you don't want to use it, you'll *never* have to look at it.

Uh, yeah, but my window resizing isn't fast enough.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Make sure you aren't using Internet Explorer. Download Safari, Camino or OmniWeb 4.5 beta if you haven't already.

What's so great about OS X? What fluffy said! Safari rocks! Use it and be happy.

If that's not your cup of tea, follow the rest of his good advice. The internet is a much better place when MS isn't involved.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Uh, yeah, but my window resizing isn't fast enough.

This is true, but window dragging is
  • Reply 10 of 30
    BRussell- what language were you talking in on that list? I don't know poop about anything computer related outside of turning it on and running apps. I believe every word you said though!! I am using iCab for my browser. Just downloaded Safari and it is nice! Thanks for all the information! I think I will order some more ram and see if my browser speeds up any. I will grant that X is nice and I am starting to get used to it but it does seem a little slower to me. Can I use the comparison of X as a big beautiful woman? Graceful and curvey?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

BRussell- what language were you talking in on that list? I don't know poop about anything computer related outside of turning it on and running apps.

Actually, that was *my* list, not BRussell's. He just quoted my entire post above his own. I tried to make the list it as "non-technical" as I could. Perhaps I should have tried harder.

So, uh, yeah. More RAM will help speed up OS X a little bit if you're a casual user with just one or two apps and windows open at a time or a LOT if you run several apps at the same time. Don't expect it to be the end-all fix to speed issues, though.

For browsing, I find using the latest Safari to be the fastest, cleanest experience on Mac OS X. I'd definitely recommend stayingwith it over Internet Explorer and definitely over iCab. Sadly, iCab's development on OS X has languished for months and isn't anywhere up to spec with the other modern browsers (like Safari and Mozilla) as far as compatibility goes.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Don't let the RAM whores fool ya. OS X is slower than 9. End of story.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well, if you compare unitasking and multitasking on the same hardware, the latter is slower because the frontmost app let background apps work too rather than wait for you to quit something.

Better compare network throughput or file copy operations. You'll get the opposite results.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I'll trade a liuttle UI sluggishness for not being able to use my computer at all while it's scanning, printing, or running photoshop filters. The beauty of X, besides the stability, is multitasking. Start a CD burn, switch to Photoshop, start a scan, switch to Illustrator, start a print job, switch to Mail, check your mail, etc. No need to get up and walk away as apps steal your machine for minutes at a time.

Plus, I can't imagine life without column view any more.

Networking is faster and easier once you get the hang of it, too.

And stability, stability, stability.

CV
  • Reply 15 of 30
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

I'll trade a liuttle UI sluggishness for not being able to use my computer at all while it's scanning, printing, or running photoshop filters. The beauty of X, besides the stability, is multitasking. Start a CD burn, switch to Photoshop, start a scan, switch to Illustrator, start a print job, switch to Mail, check your mail, etc. No need to get up and walk away as apps steal your machine for minutes at a time.

Plus, I can't imagine life without column view any more.

Networking is faster and easier once you get the hang of it, too.

And stability, stability, stability.

CV

This is exactly the plus side for me.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

HA!,HA!,HA! That's funny!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    OS9 = History

OSX = Space Exploration

One is old, you know where it came from and you know what it does, and doesnt do.

The other is new and exciting. It has the POTENTIAL to do ANYTHING, but has also learned from the mistakes of history.

Either your an old-fart, or a techno-weenie... Apple has something for everyone.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

BRussell- what language were you talking in on that list? I don't know poop about anything computer related outside of turning it on and running apps. I believe every word you said though!!

Thanks. That kind of information just flies off my fingers. Any other questions about OS X, just ask.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Very nice list Brad!

Too bad that Clint is probably about 11 years old and only uses the 'net to find out more about the Jackie Chan Adventures....you really put some time into that list!

• Reply 20 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    LOL I have some wannabe Japanese anime Super Senior friends in college (reminds me of the joke "...highschool was the best 7 years of my life...' but applied to college!) who watch Adventures of Jackie Chan seriously!

Someone please explain renicing to him, I can't. I also can't figure out how to add apps to Renicer's list!! HOW THE HELL do you do it? Drag n drop doesn't work.