Verizon Wireless... T720

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
the T720 works with Verizon's services and I am VERY close to getting one... I currently have a V60c and I have the data cable for it and a bunch of accessories that I want to be able to use with the new phone...

the only thing really holding me back is bluetooth... now I know I wont really be using it right away, but 6 months or so down the line I can see myself using it... should I wait for a bluetooth version of this phone?

I don't really NEED a new phone as my v60 works fine, but I'd really like to be able to use iSync for my phone #s...

I'm pretty sure that the v600 wont work with verizon's service so that is out... plus I don't really need/want a camera built into the phone (although I admit that could be fun )

who here has a T720 and would it be worth it to wait for bluetooth?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Paul: I just got a Moto T722i, which is the GSM version of the T720 with newer firmware and a different faceplate. It's a great phone, with great features. However, the T72x is not nearly as solidly built as the aluminum-clad V60, which my wife has. I haven't tried to sync either of the two phones via iSync, I still need to get a USB data cable. But as soon as I can get iSync to work, my T72x will hopefully be able to replace my Palm IIIxe for contacts and calendar.

I have one more positive note about the T720. My brother-in-law does research on wireless carriers and phones for one of the large consulting firms. The T720 with Verizon service is his phone of choice. To me, that's quite a vote of confidence, because he has access to a large variety of free phones and services. The only reason I went with T-Mobile's GSM service was that I wanted seamless service when traveling to Europe (Verizon's CDMA technology is not compatible with the GSM network used in Europe).

In summary, I love the T72x. Just wish it were clad in metal and built more solidly.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well, the v60 i currently use has broken the antenna like 3 times... but I also have dropped it more then a few times... are you saying that the T720 wont be able to stand up to a little abuse? that was one of the reasons I wanted to get it because the antenna is built in!...

maybe I should wait.

its nice to know that verizon is your brother-in-law's choice. My family has been using verizon for over 10 years... the number I currently have has been in the family the entire time...

I haven't had any problems with the service but the fact that I am limited in the kinds of phones I can use is kind of annoying... I really wanted a treo...

maybe I will just get a v60i or something... I really want to be able to use iSync... its great...

where did you buy your USB cable? i got mine for $20 and it came in 2 days... great service... but I want a cable that can charge the phone as well.. too bad moto doesn't make one that does both...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

are you saying that the T720 wont be able to stand up to a little abuse? that was one of the reasons I wanted to get it because the antenna is built in!...

You're right. The T720's antenna is indeed much less likely to break off than the V60's, because it is shorter, and molded into the body. I defnitely think the T720 will stand up to plenty of abuse, it just won't feel as solid as a V60 in your hand.

Quote:

My family has been using verizon for over 10 years... the number I currently have has been in the family the entire time...

That's pretty cool, to have been there from the dawn of wireless technology. My parents still don't own mobile phones and don't even have an answering machine.

Quote:

I haven't had any problems with the service but the fact that I am limited in the kinds of phones I can use is kind of annoying... I really wanted a treo...

Isn't there a CDMA version of the Treo, i.e. the one that Sprint sells? Is it impossible to get that one without service?

Quote:

where did you buy your USB cable? i got mine for $20 and it came in 2 days... great service... but I want a cable that can charge the phone as well..

I ordered my cable from Eforcity.com. It hasn't arrived yet. I was cheap and got the data cable, but they sell the data/power cable as well. Assuming that iSync works with my T722i's firmware, I'll probably shell out for a charging cradle, which features a pass-through data port, as well.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 11
    PS: Have a look at a few more V60 vs T722 comments I made on HowardForums.com. Also have a look at this comparison thread while you're there.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

That's pretty cool, to have been there from the dawn of wireless technology. My parents still don't own mobile phones and don't even have an answering machine.

yeah, my number used to be on a HUGE phone, one of the ones that you would just keep in the car but could take with you if you really needed it... we have been with verizon ever since they offered cell phone service, even when they were called bell atlantic... Ironically I still get wrong numbers tho...

Quote:

Isn't there a CDMA version of the Treo, i.e. the one that Sprint sells? Is it impossible to get that one without service?

I'm not sure, but I haven't seen it anywhere on verizon's website or in any of their stores so I assume it is a sprint exclusive.. \

Quote:

I ordered my cable from Eforcity.com. It hasn't arrived yet. I was cheap and got the data cable, but they sell the data/power cable as well. Assuming that iSync works with my T722i's firmware, I'll probably shell out for a charging cradle, which features a pass-through data port, as well.

Escher

i think i got mine from cellpoint.com i'm not sure...

I have the charging cradle and it works fine... have you looked into using the cell phone as a modem on the road?

the main reason I want to stay with moto is because of all the accessories that we have for those phones... do the headsets work with both the v60g and the t722i?

also doesn't the v60g also work with iSync as well? (you obviously haven't tried it yet heh...)

thanks for all your help so far...

-Paul
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

I'm not sure, but I haven't seen [the Treo] anywhere on verizon's website or in any of their stores so I assume it is a sprint exclusive.. \

Well, Handspring just officially revealed a sneak peak at the Treo 600. There will be both a GSM and a CDMA version. When you sign up for the e-mail newsletter, you can identify your "carrier of choice." Vote for Verizon, maybe it will make a difference.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 11
    QWERTY keyboard!!!!! damnit!

oh well...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

QWERTY keyboard!!!!! damnit!

What do you mean? Would you prefer a different keyboard layout? Or a Graffiti area instead?

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

i think i got [my data cable] from cellpoint.com i'm not sure...

Do you mean this CellPoint?

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

the main reason I want to stay with moto is because of all the accessories that we have for those phones... do the headsets work with both the v60g and the t722i?

also doesn't the v60g also work with iSync as well?

As far as I can tell, the V60x and T72x can share (external) accessories. I'm less certain about the batteries.

According to Apple's supported devices page, iSync works only with the V60i, not the V60g. However, I'm hoping that it will work with the V60g as well and that it just isn't listed because they didn't bother to do testing with the older V60g phone.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Do you mean this CellPoint?

Escher

this one http://store.yahoo.com/cellpoint/motskn6311au.html

from http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

and I use dvorak... im sure that it wont make a difference anyway, the treo is going to be like $600, way too much... \ I'll still keep an eye on it tho...

I thought I saw the v60g on the supported devices page, musta gotten confused with all the different versions of the v60i... all I know is my v60c is NOT supported...